Author Topic: Vintage Speedway Sidecars  (Read 13253 times)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Vintage Speedway Sidecars
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:22:11 pm »
Here you are Tim, couple of shots from a past Broadford meeting, back in march i think, i met you there.
Twin engine Triumph, blown Norton and a couple of them lovely Vincents.
Their nasty when they don't face the right way up.
Cheers.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Speedway Sidecars
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:46:19 pm »
ouch.   dont think that throttle side bar will ever be the same again
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:26:16 am »
Lovely KB! and I am in the photo with spectators on fence. Is a great spectacle the old Speedway monsters ! See you this season and everybody else come and see hear and feel the Classic meets ;) Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
whens the next one on tim

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:30:09 pm »
The Classic Titles are not till * 8th Feb  2009 but I am sure there will be meetings with them before then. Will keep my eyes and ears out and post ASAP. Must also see whats on in SA ,Murray Bridge Speedway has some classic meetings now and then, They are Sidecar ,Solo, and Speedway car and rod  classes but thats all fantastic by me! Tim
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:03:02 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:40:45 pm »
Yep , by the way that is a restored 1000cc Supercharged Vincent , rolling down the track at full race speed.... Got any idea how many $ are getting sand papered!!!!! And here is another frightening item ,the swinger is a lady!!!!!!!!! as is the one on the pictured Triumph twin/twin (?) 1000cc.      yeah yeah it is not VMX but it is unreal! and tell me have YOU got the guts to have a go!!!
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:56:03 pm »
Here's some of those classic Vincents Tim's talking about. Photos taken at his friennnd Dave Cotterells place by Klub Kevlars own Rob Steep who owns the old Doug Tyerman Triumph speedway outfit.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:37:12 pm by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:55:25 pm »
The outfit taking the tumble is indeed the Bright red "LB"Special" Vincent pictured . Have a close look at it ,notice the plumbing and the carby down at the end of the sidecar, Underneath the chrome cover is a nicely very exposed clutch looking device for driving , just another happy item too chew you up. All the outfits in Firkos superb pics are the original machines not copies,most raced at full speed by the original riders. Oldest racer i can think of was Jack Rudd still racing his 1928 Douglas outfits in has ...80s+... and competitive!!! Yes another of hero Bert Munro's category.
 My Rootes blower for 754s runs direct off the crank shaft .  A further (Very distant with every day...)  dream too build another 754 old style drag bike with 'greedy' fitted up again :D    waffle waffle waffle  ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:20:48 pm by Tim754 »
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 11:00:37 pm »
hey tim754,

can you pm me with your surname so I can post of these sidecovers to you.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 10:45:19 am »
Oldest racer i can think of was Jack Rudd still racing his 1928 Douglas outfits in has ...80s+... and competitive!!! Yes another of hero Bert Munro's category.

Hi Tim, i heard a year ago or so that jack rudd has passed on a few years back ? there was another old timer well into his seventies i met at Myrtleford classic speedway back in about 1992 who was on a solo (either rudge or douglas) and lived in keysborough (where i am) but buggered if i can remember his name, any idea?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:53 pm »
Damn have not remembered the gents name either. But someone has restored a Douglas Longtracker solo and brings it out at the classics, straight out of the 1930s.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:22:27 pm by Tim754 »
                                                   Voltaire.