Author Topic: Swing arm bolt head sheared and thread stuck- any ideas?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Swing arm bolt head sheared and thread stuck- any ideas?
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:18:58 pm »
Hi all,

I know this is basic, but i don't have  welder, and im really dreading pulling the swing arm out as im wanting to go for a ride soon!

I inherited this little issue, the previous owner has an extra long nut on it which was a temp fix, but temp became permanent!

Since i had the rear wheel out, i thought i would try and get it out and replace the bolt!

Any ideas would be much appreciated? and a back yard fix would be to put the long nut back on for the ride and pull it apart once done.

cheers lads

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Swing arm bolt head sheared and thread stuck- any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:28:29 pm »
Can you get two small nuts on it and undo the first nut that will hit the second lock up and hopefully spin the thread?

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »
Can you get two small nuts on it and undo the first nut that will hit the second lock up and hopefully spin the thread?

Tired that one bud, I put the long nut on and the bolt and lock nut from the other side and tried to nip it up and loosen it! but it didn't work.

I was going to try and heat it up, and then try again once it cooled? your thoughts?
Cheers

Nada

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »
If you want to use heat, heat the aluminium. Freezing is harder to do, but freeze the bolt.
Using the two nut technique, I would heat the swingarm and work the bolt right and left for partial turns. This make break the bond, be it chemical or even loctite.

Update: if you fit a drill guide over the nut, and use a left hand drill to drill out the core, by the time the drill has pecked its way towards the end most of bolts tension will have been removed. I had a job recently where I had to remove 12by2 security bolts from window locks. I used the left hand drill method. Slow but effective.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:05:22 pm by topari »
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:00:52 pm »
Heat is good. Boiling water is quite effective and idiot proof, if you don't have a suitable torch.
Freeze spray from your local Jaycar (etc) on the bolt can also help, with a thermal shock to help break the bond.

Once you have the nuts locked on (tee hee), tap the end of the stud with a hammer - short, sharp cracks will help loosen the stuck thread.

Worst case isn't that bad - cut it short, then drill the bolt out. If you're lucky, the bolt will screw into the swingarm without damaging the threads in the swingarm. More likely, you have to run an 8mm drill through it and then helicoil it.
Put grease/anti-seize on the new bolts!

Early 90s YZ?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »
Thanks Guys, Great info

I have managed to get 2 nuts on the thread, and have been working it! u have given it a tap but no luck.

I'll try heating it up!

Yeah Nathan, 89 YZ125! The old backyard butcher has been at it:)

Cheers

Nada