Author Topic: CZ Twinpiper rumor on mx trax  (Read 11149 times)

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
CZ Twinpiper rumor on mx trax
« on: August 08, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
If this rumor actually come's true and they actually were reasonably priced I am sure there would be no shortage of potential customers around the world

http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/343860-cz-twin-pipe

TM BILL

Re: CZ Twinpiper rumor on mx trax
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »
I would say thats about as plausable as the alleged moon landings  ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:42 AM »
I would say thats about as plausable as the alleged moon landings
Or the imminent release of the Chinese Metisses.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:20:56 AM »
On my recent over seas trip I saw one of the chineese metisee being tested at a well known california track by there R@R developement team
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »
Is it unlikely though? Manufacturers sell products, and only if there's a market. I have no idea what CZ sells today or if there even is a CZ (I have never even experienced the faintest twinge of interest in a CZ), but you can imagine if it weren't too expensive to remanufacture those old sleds that there would actually be a reasonable market.

Would such a thing be eligible for VMX?

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »
I rode my attended my first  vintage event in 1991 in Ortho Belgium , it was a pre 65 event with a sidecar support ( I was crewing for an English sidecar team ) . Although the event was promoted as pre 65 I think there were a number of pre 70 solos and chairs as late as 1985 . I remember there were full fields of pre 65 bikes and loads of twin port CZs, at the time I didn't really know what they were ( looked like converted road bikes ) but were being ridden very fast on a beautiful natural terrain track in the Belgian  countryside .
I do have home videos of the events somewhere  ::) 9 possibly with the ex wife I will try to get back and get uploaded to youtube . We went to several events in Belgium and France 91,92,93 and my point is there were always loads and loads of twin pipers and side pipers at these events . I cant imagine they have disappeared and the blokes racing them then must be 20 yrs older so may not be racing anymore so in theory there are still plenty of originals up for grabs  .

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:58:52 AM »
Would such a thing be eligible for VMX?
Why not? If replica Rickmans, Cheney's, HL's and their ilk are allowed, why not a TP CZ? As long as the bike was externally identical to it's historic predecessor I can't see a problem. Having said that I can't see there being much of a market for them. As Bill said there are still plenty of TP 250s around and even though it's a lot rarer, the 360 is ineligible for pre 65 due to it missing the release cutoff. It wouldn't be all that competitive in pre 70 or whatever the Euro or American class equivalents are. If you add that hardly anyone under 50 would have an iota of interest in them, the market would be restricted to self funded old retirees like me ;D too old to race them and too poor to buy them ::).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
Given that CZ are still around and manufacturing motorcycle and industrial chains it may well be plausible.CZ continued to make and sell MX bikes in Eastern Europe long after they ceased to be imported into the west.You'd reckon they would still have the patterns and tooling somewhere and certainly the blueprints and design drawings.Is there a market?maybe but it would be small.Aren't Maico twinshock bikes being re-manufactured by a British company?(bigger market though).

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
MV went down this road with 500 tripple GP racer only to pull out once the true costings were known. A few new prototypes were made and given to Ago.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
Hi,
yes please,  I'll take a 250 ,
let me know where and when I can pick it up
L O L
cheers

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
. I remember there were full fields of pre 65 bikes and loads of twin port CZs,

Nice thing about having VIP at our 15th Anniversary, Jiri and Falta also confirmed that the CZ world was alive and well.
There is a bit of footage on youtube somewhere confirming this.
So I wouldn't put it past them to rebuild a twin pipe, of course if there planets all align.  :)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
I guess if it did happen, pricing will be the clincher....what would you pay?...10K....the actual market would be very tiny, I mean, in Australia for example, you may sell a handful if your lucky, worldwide...maybe 200?...and that's over a period of years. Most VMXers would not fork out 10K for a bike....especially the old guy's, and a 20 year old would not be interested. To me it's a pipe dream, a bit like the chinnese Metises. You also have to remember that the world economy is poobar, if you think it's tough here, Europe is 50 times worse, in fact, I was talking to a importer the other day and most of the bikes they are bringing in are from Europe....Spain, Italy, Portugal etc, they are desperate for money. If you want that cheap SWM, Beta or whatever, now's the time. They are bringing container loads of Ducati's, BMW'S, Triumph's etc.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
At $5k, I'd buy one.
At $6k, I wouldn't.
At $10k, they'd be lucky to sell a couple of dozen worldwide...

I don't think these numbers are unrealistic, when you consider what a modern bike can be built for, the relative simplicity of the tooling, and the lack of R&D needed.

If they were close to race ready, I'd pay more - stuff like decent shocks, sensible spring rates, modern tyres etc. I sure as hell wouldn't be keen on paying more for authentic relic tyres etc...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
When Jiri and Falta came to Wandering here in WA . Jiri was building Brand New Blue tank 350cc twinpipes Price was $15000 US  back in 07 ?? making about two units a year had a long waiting list even back then
Never say Never
Check out his Web page

http://www.starecveterancross.wz.cz/index_aj.html

Cheers

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
If he had a long waiting list, he would employ people to knock them out quicker....at 15K....he wouldn't sell one in today's market.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.