Author Topic: My turn for an Intro  (Read 2906 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
My turn for an Intro
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »
I've popped up on this forum a few times over the last month or so to have my say, so I thought I'd at least introduce myself so all may have an idea of who there're conversing with.
Like with most who frequent this thread, my mx history goes back to my late teens in the early to mid-seventies where I started on trail bikes (DT100, TS185L), moved up to a second hand TM125K then a brand new RM125S. After a fairly successful C grade period with Albert District MC (South East Qld), bikes and I parted way until the mid nineties where a full resto on a Kawasaki KH250 (1976) tripple road bike got the taste of bikes back into the blood stream. Wanting a slow start, I also purchased a Honda/Montesa TLR260 and had the next 7-8 years riding club trials, then the 'need for speed' finally got the better of me. The trials bike was sold and a RM250B was resurected from a number of basket cases I managed to come by.
First club day at BMCC's Nudgee track this year was my first line up on a start line since 1976, exciting and great fun. The years may have  left me a bit rusty, but you never forget the feeling of mixing it with other bikes on the track. Together with an old mate (PERM250) who I'm helping to get a few more old Suzuki's back on the track, we're keen on doing a few of the South East Qld events, so I'm sure we might see many of you around in the coming months / years.
Regards
pmc57   

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: My turn for an Intro
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:34:50 pm »
Gidday to you pmc57. I was in ADMCC too; '77 to '79 I believe.
From memory the President was a bloke called 'Chock' and he was followed by Dave Wilmann.
Were you in the Club back then?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:42 am »
Wombat
I was at ADMCC around '74, '75 and '76, and my name to fame was I won the club championship on my RM125S against all sizes in '75 or'76 (not sure which year). The president at the time was Max Sheffield. The later president you refer to as 'Chock', was that who everyone called 'Chokko', AKA Ron Ferrier or something like that? He was the mechanic at Beenleigh Honda/Suzuki.
pmc57

YSS

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:39 am »
Is that Max Sheffield from Towoomba that raced a sidecar also ?

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:42:38 pm »
Yep you're right, it was 'Choko' but I know nothing more about him than that.
I was new to it all so I sat at the back of the meetings in the old Masonic Hall (since burnt down) and just listened to the crusty ones...
I joined the Club about the time they left Wolffdene and headed to Stanmore - the rockiest dustbowl in the World!!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:34:15 pm »
YSS
I'm not sure where Max Sheffield was before or after ADMCC but it would not surprise me if he rode sidecars. I was in my teens and I presume he was in his late thirties / early forties at the time, he rode a, i think a Yamaha MX 360 or something around that from that era (I'm not all that up with the early Yam models), he enjoyed his time on the track and a great president and fellow bike rider. In fact I would like to catch up with him again if you know where he's at now?
pmc57

YSS

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
last time I have spoken to him was at the mountain man in Towoomba in 85

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:26 am »
 Max is an english chap and was one of the founders of Albert District. About 3 years ago he popped into stanmore on a club day and i recognised his face so we got to talking and he remembered me as well. He told me how he pretty much started the whole show.I reckon he his still fairly local .
So would this be Peter?
There are a few of us ADMCC guys floating around in the vmx scene.
Cheers, Brad

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:12 am »
The ADMCC Old Boys will recall this 70s fashion.
Given my resurgent interest in MX I'm so glad I didn't turf the shirt years ago when it no longer fit!
I think I'll frame it; and it can go straight to the pool room.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:47:02 pm »
090, That sounds like Max, good to see he's still in the local area. I am Peter, if that's what you were asking and you wanted to confirm my name.
Wombat, some guys just don't throw out anything. I haven't seen those shirts for thirty years. They should take pride of place on the pool room wall.
pmc57 (Peter)

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:20:51 pm »
Good one Peter.See you out there.
Cheers, Brad