Author Topic: Moates 1983 RM500  (Read 8017 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Moates 1983 RM500
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:45 pm »
Thanks fellas. Interesting.

Goof must have had contacts in Europe for that stuff, dont think it was available in OZ ?
Never heard of "TMV" until now.
If I still had my RM500, I would be hounding you Suzy59 for them covers.  ;D

Moates had weird taste in bike appearance, those blue fenders did look a bit crook.
Trevor Flood built Goofs bike and was a White Power dealer back then.

GT43

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »
Front fender is a UFO 8007 or Stilmotor A203. No doubt in my mind. They are the same apart from moulded in logos and colour. Who copied who is anyone's guess as both companies also made PP Tony D fenders too!! UFO blue back then was lighter and Stilmotor blue is darker. Photo on website looks more like lighter blue so I reckon it would be a UFO. So I would say the rear is a UFO 8024 or very possibly a 8022. And if it was a Stilmotor then the match to the A203 front would be A123 I think??? I am not quite 100% sure on that one yet/cant find the part number.
You can see some pics on www.oldcross.com. And you can use the Wayback machine to scratch around on www.sxpstilmotor.com

Both the UFO and Stilmotor fenders were readily available in Australia back then and the TMV stuff was also imported/sold by Trevor Floods Gassit Motorcycles.

Pretty sure the gold silencer, although Answer is also custom anodized.

I have also seen advertisments for White Power pipes in old magazines.

Your the Man.
Those fenders you mention definitely resemble the bike.
Good stuff.

GT43

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »

Does Trevor Flood still operate today John ?
They would have been a strong force back in day.

I remember doing work experience at Yamaha Pitmans in 83, and Daryl Willoughby dropped into the Workshop one day to see how his YZ250K was going.
But all the mechanics at Pitmans werent really specialized race tuners. I think it was around this time when Mr. Pitman did a deal with Trevor Flood to setup Willoughby's bikes.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:58:20 pm »

Does Trevor Flood still operate today John ?
They would have been a strong force back in day.

I remember doing work experience at Yamaha Pitmans in 83, and Daryl Willoughby dropped into the Workshop one day to see how his YZ250K was going.
But all the mechanics at Pitmans werent really specialized race tuners. I think it was around this time when Mr. Pitman did a deal with Trevor Flood to setup Willoughby's bikes.
No Trevor's shop is long gone. Goof won MR Motocross in '83 on his Flood prepared RM500 so you'd have to say Trevor new what he was doing.

GT43

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:01 pm »

Goof won MR Motocross in '83 on his Flood prepared RM500 so you'd have to say Trevor new what he was doing.

Yep, definitely.

GT43

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »
Thanks fellas, for your input.

I think this person (Dave Dixon) from the US, now has enough info.

Below is an email from him :

" Hi Gav,
Thnk you for helping, That is good to know on the fenders. I like the look of them, they grow on you.
I have built a ton of RM500's and I am very excited to build this bike. It is special.

I have obtain a lot of pictures from Rosco and others in Australia. You guys down there are great, I am very impressed with the entire group.
Because of all the help from you guys, I have enough pictures and details on this bike and the project is now a go. (After I am done with a 1984 RM500 I am doing now.)

Thank You
Dave Dixon "

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
Never seen a white power pipe before.
Did they really make a pipe for that bike back in the early 80s ???
check those red retro rims  :D
Best is in the West !!