Author Topic: Hello from the California Desert  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Scootern29

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Hello from the California Desert
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Good day members, My name is Scott. I hail from 29 Palms, California, USA which is out in the middle of the desert about 150 miles from Los Angeles.

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years. I found it while searching for information on a 1976 MX125C Yamaha. I have been hooked ever since. I really enjoy seeing what goes on with your VMX "down under". The internet makes it so cool and seeing the stuff you all have and have had, to me, is quite interesting.

A quick overview of myself and I will keep it brief. I started riding in the late 60's with hand me down junk. I bought my first real motocrosser in 1974. A Puch 175 MX. In 1975 I went to work for Charles Curnutt and worked for him and was his last employee in 1982. I was lucky to have gone through the suspension revolution in that time frame. I have seen some amazing things. I still am in touch with Chuck to this day. During this time I raced desert mostly and a few motocross races. I started racing vintage MX in 1987 way before AHRMA and hung up the leathers in 2000. My goals during the time was to win the CZ World Championship which I did in 1992 in the 250 experts and the Adelanto GP which I won the 125 Experts in 2000. I sold my collection after that and I was somewhat out of bikes until a couple of years ago. I have modern bikes but then the old bike bug hit again. I have also been a member of the Hilltoppers MC which is an AMA off road club established in 1945. If you have heard of Johnny Campbell (Factory Honda,Baja Fame) my club does all the pitting for them in the long distance races. So there ya have it.

I hope to contribute on this site if I can. Here's a couple of picks of my last two bikes I did.

Scott

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the California Desert
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
G'day Scott, Welcome mate.

very nice bikes, did you do the restore yourself or buy them like that.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Scootern29

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Thanks Hoony,

I do all the work myself. The 125 was in very bad shape when I bought it and the 400 was pretty correct but somewhat trashed.

I hope to have fun on this site. There is a lot to see.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Fun you shall have.

there is an incredible wealth of knowledge on this site.

i am always in awe of the facts , figure and detail  these guys can remember
from bikes they had many years ago. wish i had that kind of memory!
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »
G'day Scott  :-)

Great to see you here on the Forum, you have a great past, much like others on here, it'll be fantastic to hear your stories and advice.

Regards, John
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
Welcome Scott, and thanks for the info on the Curnutt monocoque frames. In a weird kind coincidence, I just removed a pair of Curnutt shocks from a bike this morning and came in for my morning coffee to find your post about the Curnutt frames. Cool.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
 G'day and welcome Scott.
 Love your Yammies!
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Gidday Scott, nice bikes.....I bet you have some cool photo's that you could put up for us to see.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Nice bikes and welcome. will be in Vegas in a week but for muscle car bits (bikes next trip) lol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Scootern29

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
I will try and condense the reply's, and thanks to you all.

Hoony - I am in awe of the facts also. Sometimes I get a little blurred on the memory part, but I normally remember a lot of stuff.

John Orchard -thanks John, I have stories.........but advice........maybe not.

Firko -That's cool man. I have all the parts for Curnutts. It is weird that you are having coffe and I am drinking beer at this time.

Pancho - thanks, I just got into yammies. I am an old school euro bike guy. I got into them on accident. The little 125 I looked for almost 35 years and found one. SCORE.

Davey Crockett - thanks on the bikes, I have some photo's but during that time we didn't take many. We didn't actually know it was history in the making. I have been in touch with Chuck Curnutt and he has alot of slides he has transferred to digital and some 8mm film. I need to get copies of them.

bazza - Thanks on the bikes. Can you come over here tomorrow and take my father to a funeral on Friday? I will pay you alot of $$$$$$. LOL.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
welcome mate,you must be related to forum greg h,(he only put thongs on for photo shoots too  ;D), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Nobby25

• B-Grade
  • Could possibly fit other models?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
welcome mate,you must be related to forum greg h,(he only put thongs on for photo shoots too  ;D), :P
Welcome Scott, I can't see if you have a thong on ??? only flipflops ;D
Cheers Nob.
TM125L RM250N TC125L RL250M PE175T RM80C RMX250T ATC70 YZ80B?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »
I have a huge soft spot for the MX 125D I'm not sure Ill fix it untill I own one. Nice Bikes and welcome
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Scootern29

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
I'm not wearing a thong by any means. Use your imagination  ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »
scott
the thongs are on your feet.thats what we call them in australia