Author Topic: king of nepean NO SLIDERS ALLOWED  (Read 8129 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: king of nepean NO SLIDERS ALLOWED
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »
 I assumed that sliders would have the right to enter and hopefully be entering in the king of Nepean feature event on the basis that they are a motorcycle with two wheels with brakes on each wheel the same as any other machine entered.

I also expected that there may be a support event for sliders only, but not necessarily on the 'normal dirt track' ( short circuit) track.

If there are any entrants on slider type machines excluded from the K O N  I will be annoyed at such stupidity and I will not assist at the meeting, and I will not support it in any way. However I doubt if this will be the case.
 Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:04:39 pm »
I've already gone off half cocked (yet again) Wally and wished I hadn't.
Lets wait and see what the reasoning is behind the exclusion of Sliders from the actual KON races.
I think they might have been left out of the original application because of the pending introduction of a stand alone class for Sliders, that fell over because of numerous reasons that gumby's like me can't totally understand.
I think it's great that there will at least be a Speedway class because it will give the public a good look at everything Nepean has to offer.
Don't forget there was only one Slider entered last year.
Where's that humble pie. 

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
 Stay cool slides, you are an asset to Nepean that we need.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »
yeah,chill dude  ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »
 ;) 8)

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:37 am »
what pancho your not going to stand at the pit gate all day.nepean had you roostered on the to clean the toilets this year.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:17:25 am »
all i what to know is you can have sliders in the pro open unlimited but not the kon unlimited on the same weekend
jim

Me too, Jim. If the Sliders were contesting the main event, the KTM KON, we would still come down, some of the best races we've seen were between Sliders and Chookies, the slider didn't always win, either.
Foss

As an OLD chookie racer, I can't believe what I am reading here.......Sliders and Chookies should both be contesting the KON !!! >:( >:(
The best Short Circuit meeting I was ever involved in contained Sliders and Chookies..........and WON by a Very famous CHOOKIE......Australian Short Circuit Title at Kempsey, 1978......Sliders never worried Gally !! ;D ;D
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:35 am »
Got it in one, Alvin !! bring back the battles !! I don't care who or what  wins.
Foss

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
what pancho your not going to stand at the pit gate all day.nepean had you roostered on the to clean the toilets this year.

No Micks, I don't think I'll miss running around the car park all day trying to stop people in GTs getting bogged. ::)

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
Well I asked the question on Monday night but I'm afraid I didn't really understand the answer.

The head of the race organising committee said that the committee felt that after last years meeting there was "ill feeling" about there being only one slider entered. He also stated that he believes that due to the different lines taken by the different styles of bikes that one group didn't like the other included but he couldn't recall which group was unhappy  ???  When I asked why then sliders were being permitted in the unlimited class he stated that he thought that was not supposed to be the case and that the supp regs were supposed to be changed  ???

So as far as I can tell sliders are out.

Having said that, it will be a great meeting with a parade of legends featuring some of the greats of yesteryear (some on sliders I guess) as well as a stars race with, confirmed riders at this stage, such as Troy Bayliss and Gary McCoy.  I've also been told we will see "the best speedway riders in Australia" there. I wouldn't expect to see Darcy and CH there though  ;) Along with the fastest riders in the KoN races it will be an event not to be missed by the Dirt Track fan.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:02 am »
If somebody doesn't do something to revive the slider in both vintage and modern dirt track the category will disappear. I understand that it's a catch 22 situation.....organisers are hesitant to include them on a program through previous lack of support and the 'true believers' with sliders who have supported meetings in the past are being penalised by the class no longer being included. I repeat it again.......there's a lot of talk about the demise of the slider on dirt track programs but talk is cheap.  Complaining on forums and facebook isn't going to do diddley squat. What's needed is a concerted campaign to get the slider back up where it belongs by those with a stake in that facet of the sport. First up there has to be a recruitment program to drag as many upright sliders out of the lounge rooms of suburbia. There are a shitload of decent bikes and owners out there who, for various reasons have become disillusioned with the sport. A few have gone over to chookies or American style flat trackers while others are just plain staying away.

It's no good sitting around waiting for good ol' "somebody else" to do something. It's time for someone or some group of guys to start the ball rolling. The first thing I'd be doing is to try and drag up as many upright and 2v sliders for the August Nepean Charity meeting. It's also time for members of BWP, St George and Penrith to lobby their clubs to get them to include them in future promotions. There's a lot of 'friends' and lurkers on Steve Askew's classic dirt track facebook page and the sister forum to this for modern dirt track and other social media outlets so it'd be a positive idea to use those outlets to call for slider riders to get off their collective arses. I'm a bit tired of hearing the doom and gloom in relation to sliders and disappointed that nothing is being done to right the situation.                       
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 12:56:59 pm »
thanks shaun for the reply as you said you would do. 

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:04 pm »
Spot on Firko

I forgot to mention in my post that the race organising committee actually believes that the King of Nepean should showcase sliders as the premier class.

The demise of sliders can be put down to the ever increasing decline in participants entering the event.

It's too late for KoN this year but I believe all it would take is 12 entrants to make a commitment to the event and we would see them back. Most likely a pipe dream on my part. When you consider that there was not even 1 slider enter at the recently held Australian Dirt Track Titles I think it shows that the class, on a modern level at least, may already be dead  :(

So as Firko points out. It is up to those that own the uprights to get regularly involved and rekindle some interest in the vintage classes. Hopefully then we may see some more modern machinery come out to club days to push for inclusion of a pre '90 class or similar.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 01:33:35 pm »
I'm speaking out of school , BUT, do we think that access might have a lot to do with declining numbers?? A type of machine that can only really be ridden at a purpose built circuit does make it hard for the average punter to get an opportunity to try riding one, unlike other bikes they're not the sort of things you can drag out of the shed and take up and down the street... Maybe some "come and try" days are In order to be organized by folks with the bikes and the knowledge, I'd love to give everyone the opportunity to see my gumby, uncoordinated backside on a slider and would enjoy any chance to do so, I don't think id be alone either.
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:06 pm »
You make a good point Brendan, sliders are indeed a very purpose built bike that's restricted by not being able to be used for anything other than what it was designed for. Unless you know somebody with a slider I imagine it'd be hard to get a ride on one to get the feel of what they're like, it's hard to imagine taking one down to the local paddock for a fang. They're distinctly different from just about every other form of motorcycling both in riding style and the construction of the bike itself which brings me to another reason for the decline in the slider......brand identification.

In this brand name obsessed world many of us become aligned with one particular brand of car, bike or even beer and we often become quite tribal about it. For example, it's so easy for young Tommy to become a Honda guy when he sees Honda bikes on the road,  on TV motocross, freestyle or supercross and in advertising all over the media. The bikes are easy to tell apart from their Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/KTM opposition and it's a breeze to recognise the individual models, even from a distance. Best of all though is that they're cheap enough for Dad to buy young Tommy's first bike, a CR85 or 100, and simple for him to learn to ride at the local ride area. On the other end of the scale the speedway or dirt track slider is a pretty anonymous looking bike made by small companies like Jawa, Godden and GM, are never advertised in the mass media, making them pretty hard to earn brand identity brownie points when they all look pretty much the same. They're not products that can be easily sold to the public via mass media advertising. There's no multinational brand identification and loyalty factor and most importantly, they're extremely difficult to learn to ride without tutoring. The slider has unfortunately become identified as being a hang over from another era, like smoking rolly's, women wearing hats and contested rugby league scrums. 
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha