Author Topic: l am beautiful in so many ways.  (Read 10818 times)

albrid-3

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: l am beautiful in so many ways.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 06:37:50 pm »
The bike is Dave. :)

Then again if it is your own looks your referring to...... not today...:P
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:41 pm »
Would that bike have an expansion chamber or were they not invented yet? just straight pipe...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:40:27 pm »
Is that your old DOT that you sold to Tom White Dave? I must admit that they sure are pretty little thangs.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:33 am »
Yes, Mark, thats My Dot l sold to Tom, with B&S on the ignition Cover, Oldyzman, Dots ran a megaphone, the one on this Dot is original, The bike is original, its was used By John Borrows and Keith Stacker motorcycles, number plates on the Dot are genuine and cosha, full engine rebuilt back to standard by John Kaiser Motorcycles here in Geelong, new Cylinder lining and cut and ported back to standard by the well renown hallam Brothers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:52:34 am by Dave #6 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:50:18 am »
  Dots ran a megaphone, the one on this Dot is original,
I think the Poms called two stroke megaphones Blewey Pipes Dave. They were somewhat LOUD!!!, I recall a guy who raced a Greeves equipped with one who lived about four streets away from my Maroubra home in the sixties. When he'd start the bike up in his yard, Mums porcelain figurines would shimmy and shake around in their cabinet as if the bike was in the same room ;D.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59:09 am »
I grow up knowing that they were megaphones, my brothers raced a Cotton Cobra back in the sixties, it had a Bluey pipe or Megaphone, that Cotton Cobra was owned originally by Lennie Brett he race it back in the sixties in NSW, there may some history on Lennie results, someone may remember him from there, Lennie moved to Colac and raced the cotton, I still have lennie and cotton on film. You may be right Mark about the pipe being call a bluey.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:01:34 am by Dave #6 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:55 am »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
Sigh....even if Tom didn't know, he should have asked...how quickly history fades away... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
I raced an identical Dot back in the 60s, start one up in the workshop, makes your ears bleed!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:54:37 pm »
http://motocrossactionmag.com/vintagemx/News/CLASSIC-MOTOCROSS-IRON-1959-ESO-500-SCRAMBLER--5852.aspx 
Spot the blatant mistake in the text.......old blokes will know.
Seeing that nobody bothered to answer or didn't know, this sentence is bullshit......."Swede Sten Lundin used an ESO engine in a Lito frame to win the 1961 World Championship" . Sten actually used a Swedish Albin based Monark engine to win his title. This part.."while fellow World Champion Bill Nilsson stuffed an ESO engine into a Rickman Metisse in ’64 " is true but the frame was actually a modified Petite Metisse made for a two stroke. That bike inspired AJ to build Black Betty. You can compare the two engines above........totally different. The bike showed great potential but Nillson broke his leg second time out in '64 and was out for the rest of the season. When he came back in '65 it was aboard his own designed lightweight Hagglund engined Bison.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05:32 pm »
MARK
IN THE FIRST LINE

ESO motorcycles were designed by engineer Jaroslav Simandl and built in the Czechoslovakian Jawa/CZ factory???????????????

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
ESO 
Fate Taken over by Jawa
Founded 1949
Founder(s) Motorcycle racing rider Jaroslav Simandl
Defunct 1964
Headquarters Divišov, Czech Republic
Products Motorcycles
Parent Jawa
Eso was a Czech motorcycle factory producing only racing machines from 1949 until 1964, when it joined Jawa. ESO was founded by a motorcycle racing driver, and made bikes in 250, 350, and 500 cc, primarily for speedway, moto-cross and ice racing.[1][2] Engines were sourced from J.A.P. during the first year, and then an engine of ESO's own after 1950, first copied from J.A.P. and later of their own design.[3] The factory produced a prototype microcar in 1959, The ESO-T-250. It had a fibreglass 2-seater body with many components from J
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:09:23 pm by jimg1au »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:33:37 pm »
that 1959 esso shown via the 'link' looks like they were trying to do what yamaha do now [in that] they are tilting the motor back a bit to get the weight more central [maybe]. used to think that looked horrible--sort of going against the grain, but can see the logic now [if that was the plan!!]

While i'm at it, does anyone recall a liteweight [think esso engine] mx bike back then that i think was of alloy tube glued together aircraft style i think it said, maybe tubes glued into cast ally lugs but don't think it ended up going into production [probably broke at the first jump!!], but was at a motor show. Saw it in most probably english mc-news that we waited for with baited breath each [was it--week?], just about started a fight at the shop trying to get to it at smoko. By the time the boss got to it to take home it was looking a bit second hand. About 5 years ago i sold [for a mate] a fadge bag [wool sack thingy i think] full of those paper m/cyle or mc-news, kicking myelf [again] now.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »
Hedlund, not Hegglund.
Nisse Hedlund was responsible for most of the Albin based engines, whether they sat in a Lito, Monark, Cresent, Husqvarna or Hedlund branded bike.

The bikes was so similar that a rider who got sponsored by different motorcycle brands from season to season could just repaint and change decals to "change brands"

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:17 pm »

Sigh....even if Tom didn't know, he should have asked...how quickly history fades away... ::)

http://motocrossactionmag.com/vintagemx/News/CLASSIC-MOTOCROSS-IRON-1959-ESO-500-SCRAMBLER--5852.aspx 
Seeing that nobody bothered to answer or didn't know, this sentence is bullshit......."Swede Sten Lundin used an ESO engine in a Lito frame to win the 1961 World Championship" . Sten actually used a Swedish Albin based Monark engine to win his title.

I bothered. >:(
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....