Author Topic: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes  (Read 120782 times)

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: anyone nead any casting made for old bikes
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:19 am »
The post 90 ones don't seem to rot. The used one I have is as new in the impellor area.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:49 am »
I think the 90 onwards are NOT magnesium
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:01 am »
the next   one is 82 cr 125 after that if i cant find out how to sell them im out finished

A simple website, an ad in VMX magazine, Marks swapmeet, maybe an ad on some VMX clubs website or newsletter or go to some VMX race meetings and set up a stand. Just a few ideas.  You need to make people aware that you have them and I'd think those red riders would snap them up real quick  ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »
Why not just cast up repair sections and offer a service to get the new section welded into the corroded out cases (probably need some final machining). Would be cheaper for you and the customer. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2014, 02:13:48 pm »
Why not just cast up repair sections and offer a service to get the new section welded into the corroded out cases (probably need some final machining). Would be cheaper for you and the customer.

Not a chance, first up aluminium and magnesium castings are like chalk and cheese
You can’t weld mag with aluminium rods and you can’t weld aluminium with mag rods so you would never get the 2 parts to mate.
Then you would need to cut out a section of the old case to fit the new part giving you alignment problems of the shaft.
Not to mention distortion problems from the heat.

Those Mag cases are a pain to work with at the best of times, much much easier to just bolt on a new part and go riding.

The Hondas I would consider great bikes for their era and are worth spending the money on.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2014, 05:33:12 pm »
Cast or machine from solid out of magnesium then? Cases are welded and machined everyday without problems but yes distortion is a issue but not insurmountable .Sure bolt on is easier but the man making these said he won't be doing any more. Any alternative that saves Russell having to pay for a shitload of CNC machining up front while he waits for CR owners to buy the cases off him is worth investigating.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »
I take it you have never had to repair one of these covers?
What your proposing isn't feasable and would end up costing more by the time the customer finds a welder and machinist willing to take on the work let alone wear any problems with alignment  and leaking.
At the end of the day it wouldn't be as good as Russels creations.
It is a complicated cover that has no easy and reliable solution to fix other than replace completely.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline crew

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:40 am »
I bought a 85 CR125 casing from him a while back.
Fitted a treat, all threads etc were perfect. Well recommended.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »
I take it you have never had to repair one of these covers?
What your proposing isn't feasable and would end up costing more by the time the customer finds a welder and machinist willing to take on the work let alone wear any problems with alignment  and leaking.
At the end of the day it wouldn't be as good as Russels creations.
It is a complicated cover that has no easy and reliable solution to fix other than replace completely.

You don't need to repair anything only need to replace the impeller housing with an aluminium housing, water never enters the cases only the impeller housing.It's a very simple machining job to make a replica impeller housing that will piggy back off the existing impeller housing and drive from the existing  shaft.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 03, 2014, 09:52:33 pm »
it will rot between the mag and ally different metals

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:38 am »
Lozz why if its so simple a fix have people over the years been paying big money for the occasional NOS case that comes up or as most have done made do with dodgy Devcon repairs ?

Ole mate has gone to a lot of trouble and expense to cast these replacement covers and sells them at a very reasonable cost .

Anyone who goes to the trouble of taking on such a quest surely deserves all our support , the only thing he needs help with is marketing . Word is getting out there , I saw this thread linked into a UK VMX site the other day . I reckon if someone is going to Farleigh or some of the big Yank events  and could take a couple of samples to display it would be a good thing .

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:34 am »
I can repair most things and have reasonable experience welding magnesium. The only way to fix these covers once and for all is buy a new one. Its a no brainier really, buy one of these repo's and forget about it and ride your bike. Sure as night follows day if you devcon up your cover you will drive 1000km's to some race only to have it fail.

Check Website http://www.crclutchcovers.com
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:55:35 am by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 04, 2014, 08:15:45 am »
an ad in VMX magazine...

You can get yourself into to VMX Magazine for free by featuring your great work in Parts & Products [and it would be great to support the magazine by advertising, but there is no obligation].

Currently the magazine in both print and digital formats is distributed to 65 countries around the world.

Its a free service, can't get any better than that. You would be mad not to take advantage of it.

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2014, 06:19:02 pm »
thats my next plan to do a add in vmx magazine when my website is finished

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »