Author Topic: Helmets - need a new one, whats the go??  (Read 9412 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Re: Helmets - need a new one, whats the go??
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:42 am »
Hey Bishboy, we met when you dropped into the Heaven meet on the weekend. I just bought a Bell MX2. I went to the big MCAS store on Parramatta Rd and tried them all on. This helmet was by far the most comfortable for my boof head and is very light. It is made of a fibreglass construction which I like because I think it will absorb more impact, not too keen on the poly carbonate made ones as I have seen them split more than once. There seems to be some good deals around on the 2012 models.
Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:26:01 am by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:33 am »

They reckon a lighter helmet (obviously with a quality liner) is safer due to less whipping action to your head in a stack . Those Kali helmets are reasonably cheap on ebay.

Yeah - not all of them have the cones though.

It's absolutely insane that the two safest helmets (Kali and the other one with the dual stage foam), and the Airoh don't have an Australian importer or AS-approval.

I had a bigger reply as to why Nat but suffice to say Globalisation has a higher cost even if the goods are cheaper...

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:12 am »
Now you've given me even more options, but I'm not sure about buying a helmet that I haven't tried on. The M2R's are kevlar/carbon/fibreglass blend and would have to be pretty light and I think they're an aussie company?

I'm having a hard time trying to find accurate weights to compare the different helmets.  I'll try a few local dealers and try some different ones on and see how they go matching the on line prices.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:07 am »

They reckon a lighter helmet (obviously with a quality liner) is safer due to less whipping action to your head in a stack . Those Kali helmets are reasonably cheap on ebay.

Yeah - not all of them have the cones though.

It's absolutely insane that the two safest helmets (Kali and the other one with the dual stage foam), and the Airoh don't have an Australian importer or AS-approval.

I had a bigger reply as to why Nat but suffice to say Globalisation has a higher cost even if the goods are cheaper...

Hey Marty I spoke to the Airoh importer and he said that his decision to no longer bring the MX helmets in was because of his risk of being sued due to a competitor being injured while using one on a transport stage of an enduro  ??? Airoh are not willing to have their helmets approved to AS1698. For what it's worth he is still importing the trials helmets.

Could be an opportunity for an enterprising young dealer what do you reckon???

Cheers
Shaun

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »
Now you've given me even more options, but I'm not sure about buying a helmet that I haven't tried on. The M2R's are kevlar/carbon/fibreglass blend and would have to be pretty light and I think they're an aussie company?

I'm having a hard time trying to find accurate weights to compare the different helmets.  I'll try a few local dealers and try some different ones on and see how they go matching the on line prices.
Not all M2Rs are tricomposite, their cheap ones are thermoplastic & not very good from what I've been told.
I ended up with an Airoh Stelt last year which came from a dealer who had to relocate from the red zone in Christchurch & didn't want to find the room in the new shop so they sold the ones they didn't want to move off cheap, very light, comfortable helmet- possibly lighter than the Airoh helmet I use for trials

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

Not all M2Rs are tricomposite, their cheap ones are thermoplastic & not very good from what I've been told.
I ended up with an Airoh Stelt last year which came from a dealer who had to relocate from the red zone in Christchurch & didn't want to find the room in the new shop so they sold the ones they didn't want to move off cheap, very light, comfortable helmet- possibly lighter than the Airoh helmet I use for trials

Your money Shaun, and my skill ...WINNER!!

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
Finally getting around to doing something.

Is the Airoh sizing the same as other helmets, if I'm a medium in Fox or Bell would I also be a medium on the Airoh.

Offline yungy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 07:42:17 pm »
As someone who has smashed a lot of helmets I will only ever get an arai or shoei I no they are at the top end of the market but then again so is my head

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 07:50:58 pm »

Don't buy your lid online, just to save a couple of bucks. FFS go to a shop and try a helmet on and make sure it fits properly.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Tony T

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:00 pm »
Thanks Ted. I was just thinking the same thing.
I wanted a new helmet for a road trip to the Stratford Vinduro (be there or be square.......  ;D )  and picked out what I thought I wanted online.
When I got to the shop today, that particular helmet didn't fit my oddball head well at all.
In the end, I spent more than I planned, but got a top line helmet (Shoei) that is seriously comfortable, the vents actually work and it's quieter without earplugs than my old one was with earplugs, all for 40 buck LESS than the cheapest one of that model on eBay.  ;D
If I'd bought online, I would have been well out of pocket today.
Not always the case, but there's no going back if you get it wrong.  8)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:07:46 pm by Tony T »

Offline yungy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:19 am »
Mate u won't be disappointed with your shoei

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
I need to get a new helmet and there are some deals on line and on ebay at the moment, probably last years models going by the colours but they're all with aussie retailers as I'm not keen on buying a helmet from overseas.

I bought a new one, two actually a little while back, paid more to buy locally than over the "net" for good reason. Why do you want one? If you really need one, you really need it to fit too, fit properly that is and really you need to try multple ones on whilst wearing your preferred gogges and glasses too if you wear them, i found it a major episode....my favourite dirt one now pushes the goggles down your face further, squashing your airways and lack of performance due to NO AIR!  My next fave now has a peak that points relatively too high, great for mx but not so good in the bush when sun is low in sky etc etc, so after trying on i reckon 30 plus helmets i gave up and went back to the big two Arai and Shoei, dont know why i wentaway, well i do, the others are all cheaper. Try them on in your locals shops, buy last years models, i did and saved 200 per helmet, they both fit too! 

cheers,
Kt

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 06:10:52 pm »
Suttos MC had a great deal on helmets a couple of months ago. Fox, One Industries, Thor, Fly and heaps of others...$100 ea. Bought the nephew a $550 Thor helmet for $100. Give him a call

Support the people that support us.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:48 pm »
last north bris flat track
i was asst scrurtineer
picked up a helmet that weighed next to nothing
the dad said $600
is this the airoh you speak of

Offline chippy

• C-Grade
  • how old is too old
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:32 pm »
I was cleaning the shed the other day and come across all of my old helmets in different places, it got me thinking, does everyone still have all theirs.
The old saying goes  "NEVER THROW ANYTHING OUT."

From the left, ARAI MIROTAKE SHOTEN 1975,same colour as my Kwaka KE175, next, NOVA VIP,1981, next, HJC,1998, next, M2R,2007, with removable lining , a great invention.
                 Cheers Chippy.