Author Topic: Need help from YZ250K owners  (Read 1930 times)

Offline CraigBa

• Novice
    • View Profile
Need help from YZ250K owners
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
Gidday, trying to put together the clutch end but cant work it out. How hard can it be right  ???

Here are the pics:

These are the two parts I have bought

Clutch post on the crankcase

Not sure how it goes together

Could someone take a pic of their clutch post ot tell me how it goes together

Thanks
"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense".

MV Agusta Brutale
89 Honda CR125
89 Honda CR500

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Need help from YZ250K owners
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
Go to www.yamatopdog.com and select yamaha factory online parts catalogue, click on proceed to parts catalogue, click motorcycle, click 1983 motorcycle, click YZ 250 k 1983, click crankcase. There is a diagram explaining how it goes together. Parts 7, 8 and 10

Cheers
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
don't want to alarm you but the plate with the tapered 6mm hole is to retain the final drive bearing into the case by sitting against the circlip around the outside of the bearing. Gosh i 'really' hope that's a spare one if the motor's now assembled. If everything's spaced up tight  with minimal end float in the output shaft before tightening the sprocket nut then you might get away without it. It's just that everything is pulled up across to the sprocket side & that little plate stop the bearing along with the shaft & gears from heading off to the other side until something stops it the other end. Only talking a small amount no doubt but it's all calculated into the gear dog engagement. Sorry to stretch that out------the cable retaining plate [other thingy] should find a slot to locate so that tongue bit can stop the cable from slipping up and out. Slot should be there at the base of that cable lug. Ok--just bought up the pic on the parts site & it's drawn 'confusing' if say you're not familiar with those motors. Haven't been inside one [250k] since back in the day but is the same design as my 490k in that respect--that i was inside a year or two back. Sorry to drag this story out but hope it helps. Finally, look at the drawing & imagine moving the plate down & over to the output bearing. [Jeez i hope i'm right after all that] Good luck.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
just studying the parts pic i see the bearing doesn't have a circlip around it so maybe the little plate just overlaps the edge of the bearing to retain it, which would be more positive anyway. Probably thinking of my DT1 with the circlip, but doesn't have a plate to retain it anyway because it had a normal bearing the other end to space up to, where the 250k should have a needle type bearing that end with a floating center hence everything needs to be held positively over to the sprocket side. [something like that] Cheers.

Offline CraigBa

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
I must still be missing a part or not getting it  ???   The screw, part 7, doesn't screw in to anything that I can see. There is a small hole on the opposite side of the post but I'm sure it doesn't go there, too small. Going by the diagram part 6 is screwed in first then part 10?

Any photos?

Cheers
Craig

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense".

MV Agusta Brutale
89 Honda CR125
89 Honda CR500

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
The plate with the 6mm hole is a bearing retainer from INSIDE the Gearbox assy...It does not belong anywhere outside of the motor. Normally all that is required to hold the cable in place is the part which now appears to be fitted correctly.The cable is attached to the arm which stops the cable guide from backing out of the case.
I would suggest that you find out where that retainer comes from, or you may end up with a few dramas up the track...
Hope this helps...

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
I've searched the net for a pic of where the plate screws on & buggered if i can find one so found something similar although runs two plates opposite each other [modern bike] which is no doubt an even better idea. Pic coming shortly if i can work it. Cheers.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline CraigBa

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. I bought the retainer because I thought it was part of the clutch housing. It all makes sense now. I didn't need the retainer.

Cheers
Craig

MV Agusta Brutale
89 Honda CR125
89 Honda CR500

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
That's a relief [not to have to pull it down]. My boy [still boy at ummm 43] has a 250K for regular vmx & hurry up the moderns too from time to time. Bout time i got the 490 out & gave him a hurry up [in my dreams haha]. Cheers.