Author Topic: Decision Time on Bikes  (Read 16061 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Decision Time on Bikes
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:09:56 am »
Well after my recent "Near Death Experience" I think it is decision time on some of the bikes that are in the que.  Looking for some opinions on what should go on the list and what should stay.  Here are the bikes I need to decide on:

1. '79 KX250 spare (complete with title and should run, but in need of resto)
2. '76 Husky 360CR project
3. '75 KTM 250MX project (nearly finished)
4. '72 RT2MX (frame, engine and parts)
5. '88 Honda CR250 (nice)

Bikes I never thought I would put on a list:

1. '83 Honda CR480 (Great spare that was gonna become my ME480)
2. '78 Husky 250CR (Great bike, but not sure if I'll ever race it again)
3. '81 Can-Am MX-6b 250 (One of my favs, but will probably not race it again)
4. '74 Montesa VR (in boxes)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Decision Time on Bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:32 am »
Not sure what age group you are in Tahitian, but let's not jump to descisions too early.
Also might be a good time to select someone to do some riding of you bikes on your behalf. It's very gratifying to watch someone else do well on a bike that you've prepared and mentored over.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:59:55 am »
Do you have any pics of the KTM?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:24 am »
I like your taste in bikes, Jay. Very similar to my own  ;).

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »
Not sure what age group you are in Tahitian, but let's not jump to descisions too early.
Also might be a good time to select someone to do some riding of you bikes on your behalf. It's very gratifying to watch someone else do well on a bike that you've prepared and mentored over.

Just trying to limit expenditures on finishing what I keep, so decisions need to be made.  I was thinking about the sponsorship part this afternoon.  I might do that until I sort out the health and risk/reward issues.

Slakewell,

I'm leaning towards keeping the KTM, just because it would be cheaper to finish than most of the others, but the VR would finish my Spanish Ladies trio.

The problem is I have "Firko-itis".  ;)

I buy future projects and then start stashing away trick parts for them. The Husky 360CR for example already has a set of Ohlins built for it along with a set of billet triple-clamps and I haven't even started to work on it yet.
 ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:09:32 pm by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »
Red, I'm in a similar boat to you where I did a superman off a bike doing 50mph and smashed my pelvis amongst other things, the Doc's have said 12 to 18 months off for recouperation. My initial thoughts where to flog most of them off ( I have 20 odd) and keep my favorates. I also have quite a few in the "one day" basket. My wife who never really likes what I do as far as bikes go said to me after a few days in hospital just to slow down when I get better and not to sell any....go figure that....mate, just sleep on it for a few weeks and it will come to you what to do.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:37:05 pm »
red you really have to look after your ticker ,a broken pelvis  is a different kettle off fish

don't sell till you give it a bit off time there are other options ,I love building old maico but I don't race since my forkked liver and diabetes took over my life ,im just happy now to find good bargains and   tinker and bling  :P

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »
Red, I'm in a similar boat to you where I did a superman off a bike doing 50mph and smashed my pelvis amongst other things, the Doc's have said 12 to 18 months off for recouperation. My initial thoughts where to flog most of them off ( I have 20 odd) and keep my favorates. I also have quite a few in the "one day" basket. My wife who never really likes what I do as far as bikes go said to me after a few days in hospital just to slow down when I get better and not to sell any....go figure that....mate, just sleep on it for a few weeks and it will come to you what to do.

Joan that's because Sue is a keeper  ;D you give her a big hug and get her some flowers  ;) your a lucky fella most women would seize the opportunity to get rid of blokes toys  ::)

Red as the Boys have said don't be to Hastie in getting rid of stuff , I know exactly where your coming from but just don't rush in to soon  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
I'm the same, I'm selling off the bikes that I don't have an emotional relationship with. Last years health crisis and turning 63 has made me realise that I'll never finish all of my bikes or ever ride motocross again. There was a time when I'd build three or four good bikes a year but it's now down to one, maybe two per year. I've (sort of) worked out which bikes are going and which are staying.....I'm leaning more towards keeping the dirt trackers because I can still ride them and just maintaining my core motocross favourites,the Cheney RT1, Maico 350, TriBSA,  Hindall RT2MX and Maico Metisse pre 65 project to let my mates race at the big meets....... I've pretty much decided that the Hindall Ducati, Hindall DT1, Boyd and Stellings TM400 and Rickman Zundapp/Maico project are all on borrowed time (and all pretty much spoken for already). My problem is that I love building them so I'll keep a few of the projects like the C77 Honda twin flat tracker, TM250 flat tracker and TriBSA pre 60 project and Trackmaster 650 street tracker Triumph project to tide me over for the next couple of years. The Shell Yamaha 750 arrives in a couple of weeks so it jumps to the head of the queue and will be the exclusive 'only' project until its ready for the track. Luckily it's all restored so it should just be an assembly job.....(famous last words)..........and then there's the frames, wheels, tanks and engines.....all going unless they're for one of my keeper projects.

Someone recently told me that getting rid of stuff is like cleansing the soul.......I'll soon know what they're talking about ???.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »
Firko my old mate dont be to hasty selling bikes to fund the "kiwi tee shirt" parcell.AB's rebuilding and some good auzie forwards emerging you could have a good year!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:02 pm »
Firko my old mate dont be to hasty selling bikes to fund the "kiwi tee shirt" parcell.AB's rebuilding and some good auzie forwards emerging you could have a good year!!
After watching the All Blacks last week against a piss poor France I don't think I've got any worries about sending t shirts over to NZ this year......

sorry for thread hijack, resume normal viewing ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 02:49:14 pm »
I love the husky 360 here is a pic of mine.

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
Wait and see , you may change your mind.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »
Jeez you guys are depressing me, not sure what to do--nearer 70 than 60 & thought i might sell all my crap but it's worth 'nothing' [if you've seen a sample up here somewhere]. Only worth something to 'me' & [as happened once before, many years back] only i'd know how to start them or keep them running. Sold my regular RT2 thingy & took it back a week later--took pity on the guy. [probably still suffering from RT2 itis 20+ years later from not knowing how to start it]. Actually saw him coming out of the doctors the other day so waited till he'd gone before i went in, [true]. Even dragged my Lada Niva 4wd [no jokes please] out of the hay shed today [what a mess], been probably 2-3 years since it ran but hand primed the fuel pump, blead the clutch, hooked a couple of suspect batteries together & it "just" crawled over & bugger me it started & sounded good. Has quite big [good tread] tyres on that i got out of Beaurepaires rubbish bin way back. Got them home & had--had a knife put through the side of all of them F@#K it, so got 4 big special patches for the inside & glue gunned the split from the outside & seem ok for around here. Trouble is, i gave it a wash & vacuum & now i don't want to sell it [worth nothing anyway, like my bikes] so what does one do!!. When i go--the kids will just dig a "big" hole & push em in, 'they told me'!!, AHHH.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:56 pm »
Be carefull guys, I heard about one split where the frau said " you can have the house....but I'm having the shed!"