Author Topic: backing a trailer in the dark  (Read 2974 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
backing a trailer in the dark
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
G,day viewers like I said backing a trailer in the dark. I,ve got sick of it so I put a  driving light under the back of the Ute. My question is do I wire it to the trailer plug I no nothing about electrics. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: backing a trailer in the dark
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »
Hey Jimson

Wire it to the reverse light wire at the light, the correct wire will be easy to find there, and put the earth from the light to the body where you bolt the light on, protected buy the reverse light fuse and the light comes on in reverse.

Geoff
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »
Thanks for that. I was worried I would blow or burn out something. Jimson

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:35:07 pm »
You will find that  your trailer plug will have a spare pin called aux in case you mount the light on your trailer
I have a 8 x 5 box trailer at the back i have  a pole with some white paint on each corner sticking up, this makes for east reversing
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Montynut

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:31:00 am »
not sure that your reverse light switch will carry the current of a driving light unless you use one of the newer LED driving lights so maybe use the reversing light to turn a relay on could be the way to go. It would probably be OK for short duration but if you happened to leave the car in reverse with the driving light powered up you may have a problem.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 07:25:01 am »
Either the above or you could wire it to a seperate switch mounted to your dash and depending what sort of ute you have (if it has an alloy tray then the light would sit fairly high) it would also double as a loading light.Its not hard to wire it to a seperate switch you just need a fair bit of wire to run from the back to the battery.
Just put earth to the body as said before run positive wire to one side of the switch then from the other side of switch to positive on your battery just make sure you use a heavy guage wire as the current has to travel a fair distance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:31:50 am by oldskool »

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:08 am »
Get the missus to stand on the trailer with a torch  ;D

Montynut

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:58:40 am »
Either the above or you could wire it to a seperate switch mounted to your dash and depending what sort of ute you have (if it has an alloy tray then the light would sit fairly high) it would also double as a loading light.Its not hard to wire it to a seperate switch you just need a fair bit of wire to run from the back to the battery.
Just put earth to the body as said before run positive wire to one side of the switch then from the other side of switch to positive on your battery just make sure you use a heavy guage wire as the current has to travel a fair distance.

A fuse would be good so you don't burn your car to the ground and also my understanding is you can not legally have a rear facing driving light unless operated only by the reverse switch in NSW (could be wrong).

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:03:29 am »
 Beware if you have anything but an old car (no computer) Some computers get insulted if there is a current drain that they haven't been told about.

Talk to an auto elect.

Or as suggested, bypass the computer by running a wire direct from battery through a dashboard switch preferably with a warning light built in.
cheers.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »
Im in QLD and have old cars may not be legal here either but no one checks unless your selling your car.Yeah a fuse would also be good inline somewhere.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »
Well what's a relay do ?  Educate me please. :-\  Tim I left the missus about 8 months back. I can,t see her holding a torch for me. Maybe a rifle  ;D  at me. Jimson

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:30:12 pm »
in this case a relay is an electrically operated switch that allows you to use the same signal to operate a device (your high wattage driving light) that may require more current than the signal (your existing reversing switch, lights and associated wiring ) can supply.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Thanks Hoony. Would there be a product name or model  relay  for the job I have in mind. Jimson

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 03:45:14 pm »
any brand will do.

go to any auto elect and get a 10amp 12Vdc coil relay. Repco, Jaycar Electronics and many other places also sell them.

like the others said you need to wire it correctly and if unsure take it to an auto elect'.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for your guidance & help. Jimson