Author Topic: old guys racing  (Read 690 times)

mainline

old guys racing
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:07:40 am »
Couple of good quotes from Jody's piece on Vet class racing.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s a shame to waste young lives in the meaningless pursuit of motocross stardom—because when young people achieve something, they don’t know enough about life to appreciate it. To me, it is much cooler to waste old lives in the pursuit of motocross stardom...at least the Vet class version of it. There is nothing like the head rush that a 54-year-old, dressed in cosmic-yellow nylon, gets from stuffing a chiropractor from Atlanta at speeds approaching 13 mph

Motocross racing is wasted on the young. There is nothing sadder than some 12-year-old minicycle racer showing up at the races with a bevy of bikes, a 54-foot motor coach and a middle-aged dad sweating in the sun. For this picture to come into proper focus, Junior needs to be sitting in the motor home playing “Call of Duty” for the tenth straight hour while dad gets dressed for his moto. If Junior wants to race, he can get a paper route and pay for it himself. That's what I did

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: old guys racing
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:11 am »
Some people really have a hate on for Jody.  I found him a decent enough guy when I first met him way back when and mostly I think he comes up with some good stuff.  Like anyone involved in our sport - he has his own agenda and for me it is not that far from my line of thought.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: old guys racing
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:18 am »
Couple of good quotes from Jody's piece on Vet class racing.

Motocross racing is wasted on the young. There is nothing sadder than some 12-year-old minicycle racer showing up at the races with a bevy of bikes, a 54-foot motor coach and a middle-aged dad sweating in the sun. For this picture to come into proper focus, Junior needs to be sitting in the motor home playing “Call of Duty” for the tenth straight hour while dad gets dressed for his moto. If Junior wants to race, he can get a paper route and pay for it himself. That's what I did
Yeah bring it on!