Author Topic: Finally a light, modern basic boot!  (Read 3679 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Finally a light, modern basic boot!
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:02:09 pm »
I've tried a few modern boots but have been very unhappy with them, too heavy, restricted ankle movement, big & cumbersome, time consuming to put on, I've finally worn-out my old leather boots and was desperate for a replacement.

I looked at the new Hi-Point DeCoster replica boots but didn't want to be ripped-off with freight charges by Metro in the States.

So I had the idea about trying a trials boot, I liked the look of the Gaerne's but they were a little short & pricey.  I found the Forma 'Boulder' boot, absolutely fantastic!!!  They are so light & comfortable, super quick to put on with 3 quick buckles and a velco flap, still with good support & protection and waterproof!!

The only draw-back I feel for MX is the treaded sole (ok for enduro/trail riding) and lack of extra thickness in the gear shifting area.  The Australian importers only have black colour in stock, the website shows brown, I'd like a white pair.

Sizing, I normally wear a size US10 / Aus 9 / Euro 43, these are labelled Euro 43 / US 9 but fit perfectly!

The price on the website is $349 but I have a local shop that'll do them for $299, let me know if you're interested, I'll post em too ya.

http://www.formaracing.com.au/boulder.html
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

albrid-3

Re: Finally a light, modern basic boot!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:03:24 pm »
I have a brand new pair of Fox boots, never used, not much movement in them, I can't feel the gear lever, and I agree with you john, I was also going to look at the trials boots but never got around to it.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:33 pm »
I have been wearing a pair of Forma Boulders for the last couple of years as general purpose offroad boots for competition enduro and reliability trials, trail riding, adventure riding and of course trials riding.

I have worn them at times for over 24hr without and problem and have found them to be quite comfortable and as you have said a lot more flexible than modern MX boots.

The down side is that they don't offer quite as good a protection as MX/Enduro boots do for the really hard hits, I ended up with 4 broken toes (6 fractures in total) after clipping/hitting a log which was hidden in some long grass beside the track in a reliability trial back in 2011.  Yes, it hurt a lot, and it bought a few tears to the eyes, but I still rode on for another 3 hours and finished. My doctor was impressed with how lightly I got off, but I think a pair of MX boots would have reduced / limited the injuries to maybe just some bruising, but then you never know.

Mine are brown seude finish which was all they made back when I bought them.

CJ
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:03:56 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »
I got a pair of AXO boots, they are very comfortable and were very reasonably priced under $200. I've only had them about a year but they seem to be holding up ok

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
John, Try on a pair of Sidi Crossfire boots with the dual hinge set up.

Pricey, but you only ever get what you pay for
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:15 pm »
Tried the Crossfire's, They are a little beter than most plastic boots due to their hinged ankle but they are still too heavy for me....... I love my Boulder boots!

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »
I have a pair of forma terrain mx series very good protection and also have a hinged type ankle.They are very comfortable and I have no trouble wearing them all day.Most are over $300 plus shipping some up near $400 I paid $280 from a mechanic shop about 3 min from my house.Micks Moto if anybody in bris is interested he's at Beenleigh tell him uncle Gaz sent you.cheers

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »
I was also going to look at the trials boots but never got around to it.

I wouldn't bother. You'll rip the soles off them. I speak from experience here.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:27:05 am »
I have MX Gaerne's and find them very good but expensive
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:41:49 pm »
I liked the Boulders when I saw them and was wondering how they would go. I like the gripper sole....passengers  need grip. Good to hear a report...thanks.

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:55 pm »
I got a pair of AXO boots, they are very comfortable and were very reasonably priced under $200. I've only had them about a year but they seem to be holding up ok

I'm in my 3rd year with mine and they have been excellent.
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:31 am »
I have a pair as well
I class them as Adventure Touring Boots

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
I ride trials more often than vmx & there is no way I'd even think of racing the CZ or YZ in my trials boots due to the total lack of ankle support, I have separate boots for both types of riding

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:23 am »
I ride trials more often than vmx & there is no way I'd even think of racing the CZ or YZ in my trials boots due to the total lack of ankle support, I have separate boots for both types of riding

Sure they don't have all the plastic coverage of a modern motocross boot but they are very comparable to any other plain leather mx boot that has been around over the years.  You could say that the new Hi-Point replica boot from Metro would not offer the protection of a modern mx boot BUT with my artificial knees & hips I need a light-weight boot and these fit the bill perfectly and change my riding AND getting dressed & undressed into a pleasure.