Author Topic: Powdercoat removal - what to use?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Powdercoat removal - what to use?
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
Hi all, what's the best and most effective way to remove powdercoat from a frame?

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Powdercoat removal - what to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
Im adding a comment, to keep up with he tread, as i want to know the answer:)

I was going to have mine sand blasted, but im interested in knowing who agrees, or disagrees
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
I would have thought sand blasting would be the most practical, least time consuming method of stripping powder coat. Or just wait a while  :D It often doesn't take all that long to come off on its own!!
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »
Aerosol gasket stripper works better than anything else I have seen.

Blasting powder coat is awful - it's soft enough that the blasting media just bounces off. A very slow, tedious process.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Having had to remove powder coating in the past by blasting convinced me to avoid powder coating frames ever again. It's a pain in the arse, in fact my blaster guy told me never to bring him a powder coated frame again. Someone once told me there's an acid treatment that works a treat but I don't know the details.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
Lead battery acid , most brake fluids, shotgun blasts, plastic explosives, leaving laying on ground outside for ten years or more
,or as Nathan has said, proprietary aerosol gasket remover is a pretty good way go.*

* In well vented area away from other painted items.... oops been there done that stupid  mistake to a nearby painted surface...  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:51:31 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »
I have used 'Nitromors' paint stripper on small powder coated parts with good results. I guess a complete frame would need a good thick coat applying and agitated every now and again. A pressure washer, dry, and then repeat. I hate blasting as it removes the frame number and makes the frame a bit thinner !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Cooch 04

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »
We sell a product to powdercoaters called Methylene Chloride that they use to strip existing coatings.

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
as with all things in life there is a tool for every job.

Read the thread about vapour blasting. I mentioned a stripper I use.  Made to remove paint and powder cost.  Good grief it is the business!  (Scary almost, HS&E and all the way and no short cuts)

Sanding, and blasting will just make a sticky mess.  It will take ages, look rubbish and then applying a new finish on top will be yuk.

Find a professional stripper and pay to get the job done properly.  It is money well spent and you can get on with your life!

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
I use a Colorex franchisee to remove powder coat. Cheap & the best way to do it, even the local powder coaters take stuff there to be done. Blasting is a PIA. There may be a Colorex shop near you.
K

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:33:27 AM »
We sell a product to powdercoaters called Methylene Chloride that they use to strip existing coatings.

Read through all the HS&E stuff that came with the tub l've got.
'Dichloromethane, methanol.'

Bloody good stuff, if you can get hold of it.  If you have a pro stripper who uses it it, then it is worth every penny to get them to remove dthe powder coat from the frame.  Amazing stuff to be terated with respect, (from behind the safety of thick chemically resistant gloves, all flesh covered and a full face visor!)