Author Topic: VMX Part Wish List - What do we need??????  (Read 14098 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: VMX Part Wish List - What do we need??????
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
81 to 83 XR 200
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Rodpack

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
I've thought about it Brendan and it may end up being the only option. There is a guy in Japan who makes fibreglass replicas of some of the earlier twinshock model works Kawasaki tanks, but not this particular model. I've got two of his tanks and they are real nice.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Just yesterday I was listening to a very interesting story on ABC radio about 3d scanners/printers and all the associated technology. They can "print" in a variety of materials, and the prices are getting cheaper even as the technology gets more advanced.

But it doesn't just print all by itself, you have to 3D scan the item or have 3D files drawn up. THAT is where the $$ come in. If your handy with Solidworks, Catia or Pro E it will be a doddle, if not ......................

For something like a clutch cover or a case half the billet option to make more than 5 is too expensive. Casting is far more cost effective and with 3D printing making the sand cores.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »
lovely, keep them parts coming.

Im looking for a part I could remake or modify to help everyone in the vmx scene.

Carl

Carl,
It would be quite a big project but if someone made a run of 1984 CR250RE waterpump housings out of alumnium i'm sure they could make a fortune

What do you think a billet housing would sell for??
I can get them made no probs but to just make one will cost too much.

Also if any one has a case I can borrow so it can get it modeled it would help save a bit as they are $250 + for a rooted one as I don't really want to pull mine apart

Please  count me in for at least two - gwilliams@GlobalASP.com
Old and slow - and happy

mainline

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
Just yesterday I was listening to a very interesting story on ABC radio about 3d scanners/printers and all the associated technology. They can "print" in a variety of materials, and the prices are getting cheaper even as the technology gets more advanced.

But it doesn't just print all by itself, you have to 3D scan the item or have 3D files drawn up. THAT is where the $$ come in. If your handy with Solidworks, Catia or Pro E it will be a doddle, if not ......................

For something like a clutch cover or a case half the billet option to make more than 5 is too expensive. Casting is far more cost effective and with 3D printing making the sand cores.

I understand what you're saying, but it's early days (relatively),  imagine where this technology will be in a few years.

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »
yes the 3D printers are the future, I've heard there are some new printers that print in metal. (stainless and titanium) which is pretty danm cool.
One of the problems with the plastic printing is they are very brittle but most likely could be used for a mould.

Carl
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »

I understand what you're saying, but it's early days (relatively),  imagine where this technology will be in a few years.

It's our 21st year working with the technology and the changes in that time are truly impressive.  Some of the light weight optimised parts we are making will blow your mind.....  3D printing (additive manufacture) will change the way that we live, but will always struggle to complete against convention processes to make conventional parts. 

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »
lovely, keep them parts coming.

Im looking for a part I could remake or modify to help everyone in the vmx scene.

Carl

Carl,
It would be quite a big project but if someone made a run of 1984 CR250RE waterpump housings out of alumnium i'm sure they could make a fortune

What do you think a billet housing would sell for??
I can get them made no probs but to just make one will cost too much.

Also if any one has a case I can borrow so it can get it modeled it would help save a bit as they are $250 + for a rooted one as I don't really want to pull mine apart

I think someone in the UK is making them.....(no not me).  Have a look at MX Trax.  No wanting to dampen the fire, but why do the job twice?  Go for something that hasn't been done yet.  Finding out what people want and need (and will pay for) is the challenge!
Please  count me in for at least two - gwilliams@GlobalASP.com

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:25 AM »
yes the 3D printers are the future, I've heard there are some new printers that print in metal. (stainless and titanium) which is pretty danm cool.
One of the problems with the plastic printing is they are very brittle but most likely could be used for a mould.

Carl

You heard right.  Google EOS, ARCAM and Renishaw.  Build volumes are limited (ball park 220mm cubed) and cost can be a challenge, so you have to be sure of what you are doing.  Approx 8 off the shelf materials to choose from (plenty being developed)    New developments are published weekly.  It's exciting times and of course you only read about what they want you to know about........  Early adopters are F1 and Aerospace.  At the other end of the scale, you can buy a machine for about £1000.  Technology is FDM (fused deposition moulding)  Think MIG welding plastic in 2D layers, layer by layer by layer.  Fine for a school project, no place on a race bike!

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
I wouldn't mind a cylinder head for an air-cooled 510 Husqvarna. I don't know if someone could run off a batch of these with a 3D printer.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

Carl

You can use 3D printing for moulds but you cant make anything that needs precise tolerance because of shrinkage that is never even. You always needs to finish with machining.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
We sell the 3D printers, but there only good really for stuff like plastic, wax shapes etc as the medium has to flow through the print heads, then it just builds up layers as the heads pass over it in a cross section.   Beinag able to pass liquid metal type media will be when it comes into some real uses.

The interesting thing i seen talk about lately is the food machine, it has the core powdered "materials"  by basic elements. and when dispensed in the right order/quanity etc should be able to make up a stack of differant items.  They are currenlty working on it being able to " print out" a pizza. 
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »
The interesting thing i seen talk about lately is the food machine, it has the core powdered "materials"  by basic elements. and when dispensed in the right order/quanity etc should be able to make up a stack of differant items.  They are currenlty working on it being able to " print out" a pizza.   

Now, I'm frightened. :-\
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

Now, I'm frightened. :-\

Firko look at the bright side , if they can print a pizza then they can probably fax one too cutting down on delivery time and tips  ;)

They will probably be able to email one soon , but I don't like spam on my pizzas  ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
Wonder how long before I can print an expansion chamber out instead of spending hours welding the bastards up.

Tea, Earl Grey, hot

Beam me up Scotty
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/