Author Topic: Oxy Acetylene bottles and gas suppliers  (Read 16490 times)

Offline Bruised

• C-Grade
  • Brisbane (& Mackay) Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Oxy Acetylene bottles and gas suppliers
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

Whats the best way to buy (or rent?) oxy/acetylene these days?
Are BOC the only suppliers?

Cheers
Bruce  :-\
The Romans didn’t build a great empire by organising meetings.  They did it by killing anybody who got in their way.

All people are your relatives; therefore expect only trouble from them

oldfart

Re: Oxy Acetylene bottles and gas suppliers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:57:41 pm »
Bruce ... ring around and compare rental and gas cost as they vary .....   Supa gas  - BOC  - Air Liquid -  Agas national - star gas ...   etc 
 I'm using supa gas 

Offline Bruised

• C-Grade
  • Brisbane (& Mackay) Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »

Do you have your own bottles?  Is it worth having your own bottles?
The Romans didn’t build a great empire by organising meetings.  They did it by killing anybody who got in their way.

All people are your relatives; therefore expect only trouble from them

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:48 pm »
If you have a local agent
http://www.speedgas.com.au/home.html
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »
No I rent. 
Yeap    speedgas  is a option, I'm not sure if they have made it to sunny Qld yet  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:53:02 pm by oldfart »

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
Today, I do not think it is possible to own bottles. I rent.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »
As I understand it, the problem is that acetylene bottles are far more dangerous than people realise and need regular safety checks.

I was surprised to see the contents of a screed sent to rural fire service personell re safe handling of acet. bottles especially if they have been involved in incidents (other than fire) like road accidents etc.

cheers pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »
As I understand it, the problem is that acetylene bottles are far more dangerous than people realise and need regular safety checks.

I was surprised to see the contents of a screed sent to rural fire service personell re safe handling of acet. bottles especially if they have been involved in incidents (other than fire) like road accidents etc.

cheers pancho.

The reason the gas companies want to do the rental over private ownership is for safety with the added bonus that the gas  'cartels' can gouge some more dollars. All cylinders are now on data bases to ensure all compliance checks are maintained on schedule and any old cylinders returning after being 'lost' can be captured and dealt with appropriately. I know with BOC when I return an empty cylinder they know more about how long I have had it than I do !

Acetylene is seriously dangerous gas. The protocols for post fire exposure are a total pain in the arse for us in FRNSW but must be carried out because acetylene cylinders can become very unstable after exposure to fire and can spontaneously explode with spectacular results !

Acetylene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUmLe9WCXX0

LPG is pretty dodgy too just for the record - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7RNYw11XHM

Like everything in life if you know your shit and are careful it is great stuff and I couldn't be without a set of 'E' s in the workshop. My rental from BOC per month is Oxy - $14.99 + GST, Acetylene $14.99, 'G' Argoshield $16.49 (latest May/13 statement)

The cost of refills - now that is another story !!! = $$$

There are alternatives as well depending on your needs. I just prefer the oxy/acetylene combo because I am old school I guess.

Any welders speak up and enlighten the unwashed !

Dave Mac  ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:07 pm »
Do you need an oxy what were you looking to use it for if it is only to heat things up there are some good alternatives if you want to cut or weld using it then yes you will definitely want it a handy tool that is for sure.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:57:26 am »
LP works fine for heating and cutting and not so good for welding.
Use the proper LP tip in your cutting handpiece for best results.

The main advantage with LP is the cost.
8.5kg at Bunnings $21.50 exchange and no rental. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
 One of the things that startled me re the safe handling of  acetylene bottles was the bit that stated 'if an acetylene bottle is dropped onto a solid surface around 1ft or more it can cause a reaction with the acetone etc inside and can explode maybe a day later.'

My mind goes back to the days when the delivery drivers carried the bottles on there side and slipped them off as required. Seemed all the drivers were worried about was not dropping the bottle on their foot!

With LPG everyone should see the Film B.L.E V.I.

cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »
   While at Gasweld today I noticed that they have refillable gas bottles for sale Argoshield/Argon type gases for migs but sadly no oxy or acet.  The size E are about $465 each for a full cylinder and you own them, they exchange them when empty for around $170.  They also have size D and G.
  Probably take about 3 years to get your money back but all cream from then on. I dont think CIG is any cheaper for refills.
    Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08:16 pm »
Like a lot of us here the cost of bottle rental has really cheesed me off, have been looking for alternatives as the friend who lets me use his set for a reasonable fee is soon to retire and he will be handing the bottles back, this mob look interesting:

http://www.airefrig.com.au/

click on product range and at the bottom of the drop down list is product range, then you see A-GAS and from that click on the second last choice and you get this pdf...

http://www.airefrig.com.au/file/price_guide/2012_mar/489-492.pdf

I rang them a month or so back and althougth i cannot remember the refill prices I recall it was competitive and the bottle rental was minimal, if i recall sort of an accounting fee and they owen the bottle and you do not pay rent so long as you are using, as said a bit vague so someone will have to call and sus it out.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:02:24 pm »
Check this product out.  I haven't owned a Oxy/Acetylene set myself but for the handyman this product may be worth considering.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/K075

This company seems to have some good products.

Kevin
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:41 am »
Bunnings has aceteylene and oxygen bottles now $200 deposit on each cylinder and $70 and $90 to swap. When your finished you get your deposit back
Jesus only loves two strokes