Author Topic: whatta ya think .real or not  (Read 3015 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: whatta ya think .real or not
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:16:46 pm »
Quite nice indeed....
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:43 pm »
pro fab is my guess

mainline

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »
Nicest one I've seen, real deal or not.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:38:44 pm »
I thought they were lower, still nice though.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:39 pm »
It certainly looks the goods with period style bars, clamps & decals etc,if it ain't the real deal he's gone to a lot of trouble,I have not seen a swingarm like that before with the two position shock mounts,I guess thats what the rear mounts are for :-\

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:36 pm »
Who cares?

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:50 pm »
I had another look & noticed it has works connection type on the fly lever assemblys & a modern chain guide,why would you put that stuff on an original bike ???,still a bloody trick bike though :)

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »
Swinging arm is model correct,
I don't think the frame covers are,

albrid-3

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »
Hallman bike, aberg bike, I don't think so.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:05:01 am »
I think what Dennis is trying to say is the bike is not a later Pro-Tec bike or a 78-79 NV and that it is a Pro-Fab kit with Simons and other things purchased from Hallman Racing.  He raced the bike a few times and it was great to watch.  These pics are from an AHRMA event where two HL's were on the line.  Not sure if the other is GMC or Framecrafters???

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:13:30 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:21:32 am »
Looks real to me

I think what Dennis is trying to say is the bike is not a later Pro-Tec bike or a 78-79 NV and that it is a Pro-Fab kit with Simons and other things purchased from Hallman Racing.  He raced the bike a few times and it was great to watch.  These pics are from an AHRMA event where two HL's were on the line.  Not sure if the other is GMC or Framecrafters???

The other bike also looks like a Profab, although the swingarm style is also typical of the 79 NVT bikes. I doubt many of the NVT frames made it to the USA as they pretty much had ready access to the Profab frames.

As far as I know Protec was an aftermarket company that used Profab frames to build up the bikes for Johnson etc.
Profab supplied frames to Hallman and Protec leading people to believe there were many manufacturers of the frames when in fact there was only one manufacturer.

They did however change the design slightly over the years. I have seen 3 different styles of Profab swingarms, 2 of which are seen here side by side.

The frames also changed slightly, Dennis’s bike on ebay I would guess to be an early frame as the front engine mounts are longer than most other Profab mounts, this is probably the version that the NVT frames were based on. All other aspects of the bike though seem to be typical Profab.

Later Profab frames had a bend in the top of the front downtube and they also moved the shock mounts 25mm higher in later models.

[/quote]
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:32 am »
You can also see in this photo that the bike on the right has the shock mounts higher in the frame making it a later version.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:19 am »
Geoff,

There are about 6 HL's here in Northern California.  A friend of mine, in Sacramento, has one of your frames and the others I believe are Pro-Fabs.  I have not seen a Framecrafters (Illinois, USA) frame, but they list them as one of their replica frames.  I'm not sure how closely they match the Pro-Fab frames or if they are an early or late design.  Could they have copied one of your frames?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:44:22 am »
Geoff,

There are about 6 HL's here in Northern California.  A friend of mine, in Sacramento, has one of your frames and the others I believe are Pro-Fabs.  I have not seen a Framecrafters (Illinois, USA) frame, but they list them as one of their replica frames.  I'm not sure how closely they match the Pro-Fab frames or if they are an early or late design.  Could they have copied one of your frames?

Yes Red, they could have. I read on a USA forum many years back that someone in the US had copied one of my frames. Can't remember who though.

Today’s trivia…
Of 71 HL frames I have sent 30 overseas to 7 different countries (8 if I include Tasmania ;D)
9 of which have gone to the US