Re: yz125
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »
Not likely, too blunt an instrument.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:51 am »
All you need are two guys that really want it. Sometimes that happens. Same thing happened to me when I put a dirty old tm125 on. Two guys fought over it and I was the winner!

TM BILL

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 08:02:47 am »
Brads right , its easy in our little world to live within our own price parameters because collectivley thats what we feel somthings worth . We also are aware of ebay , trade me , Gum tree, trading post etc and we know what we expect somthing to fetch .

However sombody new comes along, had one back in the day and thinks wow i want another one . maybe not a regular ebayer or just new to old bikes , jumps on ebay and the only one available ( or available in the same country /state ) is that one . He has disposable income and says F$%K it i want it  ;) Roberts your mums sisters brother and the deals done  :)

Even if the sellers mates are pushing up the bidding as long as the genuine buyer wants it then everyones a winner .

Think back to when you first got involved in VMX , what attracted you to it , did you research the market before buying your first VMXer or did you buy somthing on impulse .

Anything from a fossilised turd to a bar of gold is worth what someone is prepared to pay on a given day .

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 09:21:49 am »
Brad, Bill I agree. I like to see people get top prices for their stuff.

However if / when the buyer restores this to better than new condition and decides to move it on in a couple of years does he realize that some short arsed budget dump rat with no wings will tell anyone that will listen that 125's are only worth $2,500. The $850 difference between purchase price and dump rat's sell price would not even buy new rims laced up. Fine if he knows that already
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

TM BILL

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 06:33:17 pm »
Ted iv'e been told to play nice  ;D

I do believe that their is a market out there for excellently rebuilt, restored , race prepared bikes regardless of their capacity at a price that would make most of the knocker loser types shit themselves  ;)

Obviously buyers of quality builds at true values are a rare breed (especially in a depressed market )compared to the temporary owner /buyers who only buy up things and move them on trying to turn a quid (i fit into this catagory, although i do have my racers and keepers ) .

Its generally (but not all ) these chancers who bag and rubbish the prices asked for the quality bikes / builds although their motives for doing so are a mystery to me  ???

As far as the YZ goes as you say to restore that properly is gonna cost a motzza ,and if the buyer had researched the market he could have probably bought a restored one or at least a reasonable racer for a fraction of what it will cost to do that one .

Who knows what he has in mind for it ? Maybe he will restore it , build a budget racer or he just wants a tank for his HL  ;D who knows .

Some 5 years ago a local bloke who is now a mate bought a pile of parts from me witch sort of amounted to a TM 125  :-\ He didn't pay a lot for it but it was going to be a project for him and his son to do together as he had one back in the day .

5 years on and he has finished it ( all bar a genuine LH hand grip witch i have since found for him ) and it is a stunner, the reality is he probably could have bought one done to within 90% of the std of his one for 25% of what this one owes him.

But that was never the point , it is the satisfaction of Pete and his son restoring it themselves  :) he will probably never sell it and it will get passed onto his son .

Pete recently dropped in with the bike for me to get some pics ( will post some on here ) and dropped off a trailer load of TM 125 parts ( at least enough to build another bike ) that he had collected over the last 5 yrs and took away the bones of a TM 250 and so the cycle starts again  :)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 07:19:55 pm »

Anything from a fossilised turd to a bar of gold is worth what someone is prepared to pay on a given day .

This fact will remain paramount over and above anything that is purely opinion based. I think a lot of this comes from people having bikes in their shed that either
A: aren't worth near what they paid for them a few years ago
B: in their current half restored state owe the owner far more than what they're seeing quality finished examples selling (or not selling) for at the monent.

This has NOTHING to do with nor is a representation or YOUR bike's quality and or race readiness, it's simply simply the laws of supply and demand in general working as they always will. Two unfortunate facts come together for all too many at the moment with the way the economy is, these facts are only relevant to those that need to sell off a bike at the moment.
1: That bike that an owner wants to sell was probably bought in better economic times for say 5 or 6k when he/she had that kind of expendable income.
2: now that person needs that 5 or 6 a lot more than they did at the time, but so do a lot of others. Less people are around with expendable income and those that have it have less than they did a few years ago and becomes highly unlikely anyone will (or have to) pay what you paid for that bike a few years ago.

It's no different in the sales of anything at present, unprecedented deals are available in new and used cars at the moment and the amount of manufactures offering 0% finance is staggering and quite scary.

The bottom of the barrell bikes are now selling for a little bit more than they once did because of this same reason, very few people have 4,5,6k or more to spend on a bike. But nearly everyone has 500-1500 to have a play with something or get their hands on a "project", regardless of if it's a small or large project. We are now competing with more people than ever for the "short arse budget dump rat" bikes as they fall in a price range that the majority of the market is looking at. This is only my take on it but with my own recent experiences in sales this logic is proving more and more realistic. The simplest way to not lose money on your top quality dirt bikes at the moment is DON'T SELL EM! but the awful fact is plenty need the money and they've gotta go. I hope all those people get every cent they need to do whatever it is they need to do with it, which will probably just be pay some bills and keep putting food on the table. I will take some feed back on board though, it's probably not in anyone's interest to speculate on the prices people's bike's will or should sell for and I will endevour to no longer do this.

PS, i love 125's!! My favourite current steed is my 125e ;D

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »
Yep Brenden, i have had a 125E for 5 years now and still love it..
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »
Yep Brenden, i have had a 125E for 5 years now and still love it..

They certainly do rate pretty high on the "thrill'o'meter"!! ;D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »
I love my 125x but Im too fat ,old , slow and lazy to ride a 125 in anger . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club