Author Topic: Insuring your collection  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Insuring your collection
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »
Has anyone here found affordable insurance that covers your bikes being stolen?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Insuring your collection
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:18 pm »
magnetic alarms on all entry point with the power source on the inside, alarm that alerts your mobile when set off, Remington 30-06 pump with 10 shot mag. All of this for a 1 off of about $1500. Much more dependable than insurance companies!!  ;)
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »
Yep Shannons,I have 2 with them,It's laid up cover,which means everything bar riding is covered,I have house & contents with them too which has automatic enthusiast cover,which includes tools & memorabilia & the biggest bonus of all, unregisterable bikes up to 125cc are included in that policy,suits me as I have a few minis :)  

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:08 pm »
Lock the shed, chain the bikes together and remove one wheel and store it elsewhere.....it's a bit hard to move a one wheeled motorcycle. My bikes are included in the house contents insurance with APIA.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:01:21 pm »
I am in NZ so a little different . but I have alot of bikes , the deal I did with my insurance company was seeing as I figured they could only steal 5 maybe 6 at any time .  I agreed to that as maximum theft cover.
 They cover all the bikes for fire etc under 1 cover with a list of bikes ,(changeable  for a small fee) they also only pay out max of $8k on any one bike.
 If you explain the situation and shop around you will get the deal you want, the first thee insurers I  tried wanted $800 per bike per year, it currently costs me $950 per year for 50K cover on all 13 bikes  in total
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »
I think when you're considering insurance asking people "who they're insured with" is largely irrelevant, what I'm always more interested in is who has actually made a claim and been satisfied with the result?? Alot of us are insured in many different ways but it again a lot probably have never claimed, or at least not for a long time. Until an unfortunate event arises the money we pay out in insurance premiums is only for "piece of mind", but I've heard plenty of horror stories when the time comes for those dollar sapping companies to make good on their policies! So whose had a happy ending to insurance claim and who was the company??

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »
Good point Rookie ??? I didn't insure mine until I had one pinched, it's not a good feeling, since then I've insured all my bikes, been with a couple of different companies, had a good result with Shannon's, also have used Swan for my road bike with a good result, the biggest drama I had was with the repairers in both instances, as soon someone says insurance they see $$$$$ signs.

The bike I had pinched turned up 6 years later when someone tried to trade it in, I got it back but it a 10 grand bike when pinched and I got back something for the wreckers I think I got 6 hundred bucks for it.....
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:46:58 pm »
Shannon's Laid Up cover is relatively cheap. $35k worth, spread out over ~20 bikes was about $1k/annum to insure. Same value over fewer bikes was cheaper.

They have a good reputation for being reasonable when you make a claim.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14:22 pm »
Years back I used to pay a extra premium on my household insurance to cover my bikes but when I went to claim they then informed me that mini bikes were not covered. Some c*** stole my daughters XR 80. At the time my other bikes were not in the shed this lead me to discover the murky world of unregistered bike insurance and it is clear as mud.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
Shannons cover the Wasp very reasonably and as Popeye said they didn,t have trouble with the claim....however, the repairers need to be watched.

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 08:43:49 pm »
we have 10 bikes and a f truck with Shannons, great price and will be giving them another 3 soon. the more you list with them the cheaper the price gets. i have found anything over evo class is a little higher in cost but for the cover you get well worth it.   ;D
My fastest lap is the first one :)

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »
I had my HSV Insured with Shannons, and when I added my XL250 Motosport to the policy - it REDUCED my overall monthly premium by $10 !!

So they actually paid ME to insure my XL.   ;D :D ;D

I have since added 3 other bikes as well to the policy and they do multi-vehicle discounts as has been previously mentioned.

Very easy to deal with too. Not sure about claiming, but fingers crossed I wont have to...   8)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »
All sounds a bit Swiss army Wally...... hang on, they're all asleep in the farmers barn :D :D :D

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:19:02 am »
$9.5 a month for $12K insurance with Shannons - don't get much better - fortunately haven't ahd to claim to find out how good they are.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica