Author Topic: Missing the sound of two strokes at modern MX races?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Missing the sound of two strokes at modern MX races?
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:26:02 pm »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing the sound of two strokes at modern MX races?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:36:21 pm »
That is crazy, seems just like my yz125E!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:42:36 pm »
I was at the first Aus MX round and can report that the sound of a well ridden 250 two stroker is not dead and in fact seems to making a return, one finished third in the lites class. And the field had at least ten.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:43:59 am »
2 strokes are still being built by the Euros

KTM, Husky all alive and well, it's the Japanese that drank the Koolaid then set about making MX unaffordable for the masses based around pseudo feel good Green Planet bullshit

In the same way that the Japanese motorcycle industry have forced road racing into all sorts of formula racing weirdness.
formerly Marc.com

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:50 pm »
2 strokes are still being built by the Euros

KTM, Husky all alive and well, it's the Japanese that drank the Koolaid then set about making MX unaffordable for the masses based around pseudo feel good Green Planet bullshit

In the same way that the Japanese motorcycle industry have forced road racing into all sorts of formula racing weirdness.

KTM own Husqvarna now so will that reduce the field?
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »
Be cool if KTM or some euro ( even Jap ) builds a fuel injection electronic controlled 60 HP 250 Stroker. The US market is moving back to Two stroke MX bikes YZ 250's are the biggest selling second hand bike right now.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »
There is no argument that WHEN the Japanese produce a direct injected 250 smoker with electronics to control mixture and spark etc in relation to the throttle position (EFI) that they will have a rather large number of sales.  Getting them to admit the 4-chokes was bad for the sport is something all together different.

I have no idea of the HP or torque numbers it produced, but I have had the fortune to test a multi-point injected bike that was a design example and not an authorised R&D unit.   Running back to back was another design test-bed that had a fully programmable ignition that was switchable between 3 different settings.  They were both EFI, with the trick one having what appeared to be 4 injectors with 2 spark plugs - the other was a single point with 1 plug.  Both were injected through the head and I would be happy to be riding either one against modern 450s.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:15:13 pm »
Rusty this EFI multi point bike, was it a twostroke and what year was this...
They do have production efi two stroke Ski doo's correct
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:41:31 pm »
Holy Shit.....I'm in a parallel thread universe. All this talk of fuel injected YZ250's, wrap your heads in tin foil and join the crew of twostrokemotocross.com........ ::)

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:22 pm »
Hi guys, there is a bloke in NZ developing a fuel injected YZR500 2 stroke, it is a fuel injected CR500 motor in a YZ450F  frame, it's on utube and looked pretty impressive IMO. Take a look.

But yeah I agree you can't beat the sound of a good two stroke..... Big or small, 1-2-3-4 cylinders...
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:49:46 pm »
Just had alook on the tube and if you type in YZ/CR500 FI you should find it, at the moment it's got about 70hp but are hoping with further development 85hp is achievable... I'd have one thank you...
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »
Hi guys, there is a bloke in NZ developing a fuel injected YZR500 2 stroke, it is a fuel injected CR500 motor in a YZ450F  frame, it's on utube and looked pretty impressive IMO. Take a look.

But yeah I agree you can't beat the sound of a good two stroke..... Big or small, 1-2-3-4 cylinders...
Word is, he has given up on getting it to run right and gone back to carb.

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:59 am »
Rusty this EFI multi point bike, was it a twostroke and what year was this...
They do have production efi two stroke Ski doo's correct
Brett

Was about 2005 from memory & yes it was a 2 stroke.  And yes Skidoo has some trick smokers.  Suzuki, Yamaha and Mercury make 2 stroke EFI outboard motors that are so smooth they make the 4 strokes seem as rough as an old steamer.

One of the things that totally cracks me up is how it is put forward that the compressors are more environment friendly - total BS.  Class for class - a 450 puts out more emissions than a 250 smoker and a 250F puts out  more than a 125.  The thing with the smokers is that, well - they smoke and that leads people to believe they are not good for the environment.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:41 am »
Its all good now, don't we have 'smokeless oil'   ;D
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.