Author Topic: The bastard lives  (Read 7438 times)

TM BILL

The bastard lives
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

Then the bastard died  >:( :'( :'( but i got a taste and now i want more  ;D bugger the cost  ::)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:15:54 pm by TM bill »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The bastard lives
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »
Got some gears yet Bill?
That track would have really suited the metisse

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:46 pm »
That should be fun, mate. Gonna keep the KX on the other side of the trailer too ?
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

TM BILL

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
That should be fun, mate. Gonna keep the KX on the other side of the trailer too ?

Yeah Glen gotta have a back up  ;D

Its been a exercise in paitentce  ::)but thats part of the fun i guess  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:37:51 pm by TM bill »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 05:47:41 am »
Tick tick tick boom, could be time to drop that 3 speed Vauxhall gear cluster in

formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:55:56 am »
So...what happened Bill, did you break the gearbox? I always thought BSA gearboxes were bulletproof ??? What a bummer mate.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:08:09 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:25 am »
Yeah Mark dropped 2nd gear  ::) but in all fairness it could be im a bit heavy footed and need to find a bit of finesse  :)

But other than that bloody loved it  ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »
Who started it for you Billy? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »
Good to see you enjoying the Dark side Bill, good photos
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
It truly was a thing of beauty to see Bill out there on the BSA

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
Bill did you put it back on petrol?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:58 pm »
Mark, BSA gearboxes on the unit singles are a pile of sh*te. The bigger the motor the faster they detonate.
I used to have never ending woes with my old B50MX. The dogs would wear at an alarming rate. Layshaft bearings would do a season if you were lucky. If you used the clutch to change gear hey would last a wee bit longer before jumping out of gear or worse.
The CCM faired little better. I bit the bullet in the end and fitted a 3 speeder made by PES here in the UK. Since then clutchless changes and even the odd power shift have not had any detrimental effect.
I think the good BSA boxes were the pre-unit ones, although I couldn't swear to it.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 06:56:15 am »
I have a standard 4 speed gearbox and standard clutch.  Goes like the clappers and apart from the usual wear and tear has been fine (touch wood)

I would love to up grade to a 3spd, multiplate clutch, interspan ignition, new frame etc (new light weight fit rider , 15 years younger would be good as well!) but for the mean time when time permits I will get out and have a wobble round....

You can go bananas on specs if you want.

You can also break anything if you try hard enough....

TM BILL

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:13:09 am »
Mike yes its on petrol /av gas now  :) and Joan i started it  :-* its now easier to start than a fight in the Matata pub  ;D

Its a lovley thing to ride , but that monza fuel cap leaked and caused me more than a little discomfort around the wedding tackle  :-[

I know less about these motors / gearboxes than i do about faeces book  ::) but im happy to learn as i go  :) I was gonna get somone else to look at it then someone reminded me that i am a motor mechanic by trade  ??? so i should really be doing it myself  :-[

I know its been fitted with an NEB clutch and splined mainshaft but thats all . I will try to dig into it this week and assess whats wrong , felt and sounded like dogs were slipping or stripping  :o but we will see .

I will look at the option of a three speed box but i dont imagine they come cheap .

I pulled my 4 speed Bantam apart about 9 yrs ago to do crank seals and then got side tracked  ::), so thats out of the cupboard and i will reassemble that this week to get the feel of working with AF spanners and BSF , BSC and PSP fasteners again  :)

Cant wait to get out on the Metisse again though , but ill seal that bloody fuel cap first  ;D

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:35:02 am »
im right into the bowels of a b50 motor atm, was jumping out of 3rd.
the gears are quite cheap 40 - 50 pounds ea, but they certainly don't look good in the dog dept. no wonder they wear out so quick. I showed them to an older mechanic who revives heads etc and was a drag racer from way back- he laughed and said what *&&^! has offered to reprofile the dogs.
3 speed box is around the 800 pound mark (hence im replacing gears )
quite simple though an d a bonus you can get the box out with out splitting the motor.