Author Topic: 1979 Honda CR250 Elsinore Clutch issues...  (Read 1794 times)

JP84

1979 Honda CR250 Elsinore Clutch issues...
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:43 am »
Gents

I have a dilemma.. Not being the most technically savvy person I am not 100% sure what the deal is with my clutch. I have just put the bottom end back together with new Barnett fibres, steels and springs and fitted a new venhill clutch cable. Now, despite adjusting the cable in every possible way I still have no feel lever. The only thing giving any tension is the clutch arm return spring.

I have a suspicion that the new plates are thicker than standard and now the standard push rod is not long enough to engage and hence give any resistance and feel.

As I say, I'm not overly qualified in this area so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jarrod

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: 1979 Honda CR250 Elsinore Clutch issues...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
Most clutches have an adjustable grub screw and nut on the middle of i guess what you might call the clutch hub, you may have to adjust that, check if the have the correct amount of fibres and steels...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »

If # 23,19 & 12 are all present & in the correct place & you have the correct number of plates as oldyzman says to check, As there is no adjustment on the pressure plate you may be able to put a small ball bearing in #12 the clutch lifter to take up the freeeplay,The clutch lifter rod may have been shortened in the past to suit worn plates perhaps :)

JP84

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »
HI Smed and Oldyzman,

I pulled down the clutch last night for another looksie. All of the bits are in there that should be there (correct # of plates, all the right thrust washers etc) but the inside of the lifter is actually quite badly worn, as is the outer ridge that presses on the pressure plate. So that must mean that the push rod has to extend another 2-3mm further to disengage the plates correct?

I think if that is the case then I will do as Smed suggests and find a smal ball bearing for inside the lifter to make up the difference.

thanks for your advice guys,

Jarrod