Author Topic: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?  (Read 38333 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Does VMX in Australia need a refresh?
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2013, 09:14:03 am »
This is going well ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:06 am »
I got to attend the Championships at Crystal brook with a group of other West Aussies.  We had a ball, I was bloody hopeless.  But had so much fun that i wanted to do it again and will still be hopeless.  Did not make it last year, but am well on the way for this year along with a great group of West Aussies.  We'll bring our riders with a chance and the rest of us will support, race and party as much as we can, and bloody laugh a lot.   It costs a lot to get to the Nats from WA but the feeling here is that it's worth every cent and this year the obligatory container will be delivered followed by a ramshackled mob, who laugh a lot and talk a different language.  But we wouldn't miss it for the world.  There is nothing better than being involved a real race meet with some top guns and a lot of also rans, who enjoy it just as much as anyone!!!  We will wheel bill Watson out place him on his bike, and cheer as he does battle against Col, and hope to have bragging rights, but who damn well cares!!

barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:55 am »
I look forward to finally getting to meet you at Canberra Barry. It'll also be an honour to once again see gnarly old Bill Watson and his chequerboard helmet and tricky Husky front up yet again. How old is he these days, he'd have to be mid eighties wouldn't he? Blokes like Bill, Col Metcher, Donny Newell and all of the other superseniors are an inspiration to all the wimpy girly boys (like me) that use age as an excuse not to race motocross. How many of you West Aussies have committed to coming over Tossa?

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2013, 11:43:39 am »
at the moment there have been 21 bikes coming over in a container, can fit more yet and probably a few take a holiday and drive over.  Even my wife is looking at throwing a sickie so she can come over and take photo's (she's a better photographer than i am rider).  Cannot give a figure as per members, but i think the number of bikes already lining up to fit in a container gives you an idea, plus, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends and family that all love to turn up as well.  We do not mention the God fathers age, I can call him that now as i have a Husky.  But he said one thing to me and that was "Once you stop using it, you loose it"  that's why he still rides.  He is still the hardest person to pass on the track.  If you miss the start and end up behind Bill, forget it.!!lol
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2013, 11:46:51 am »
I would not have said Crystal Brook was a club with a strong background in VMX but had strong support from Freaky

That was what I was getting at - and Donny T's input making the Coffs Nats a success.

Modern clubs generally have a good blueprint for running modern meets - tick the boxes and everything will work out.
VMX meets need different boxes to be ticked, and a club that doesn't have a good understanding of the VMX scene will always find it a hard slog.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2013, 07:41:47 pm »
evo has age races you wont get away with it ma will insist you have them.classic dirt track mx same rules.
jim
Yes Jim but Nathan doesn't let the facts get in the way of his view. Next year in Yass then ::)

I was suggesting that the rule needs to be changed before the 2014 Nats.
But hey, if it gives Greg a chance to take a pointless, personal swipe, then let's ignore that...  ::)

In any case, it doesn't take much forethought to figure out that to get all age races to championship status would require at least sixty riders on Evo bikes, all riding all three classes.
Basically, this would require these Nationals to have more riders to bring Evo bikes than most previous Nats have had riders in total.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
evo has age races you wont get away with it ma will insist you have them.classic dirt track mx same rules.
jim
Yes Jim but Nathan doesn't let the facts get in the way of his view. Next year in Yass then ::)

I was suggesting that the rule needs to be changed before the 2014 Nats.
But hey, if it gives Greg a chance to take a pointless, personal swipe, then let's ignore that...  ::)

In any case, it doesn't take much forethought to figure out that to get all age races to championship status would require at least sixty riders on Evo bikes, all riding all three classes.
Basically, this would require these Nationals to have more riders to bring Evo bikes than most previous Nats have had riders in total.

Where do you get that shit from? The 2012 Nats had combined age races with 2 gate drops. What rule needs to be changed now?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:21:13 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »
What shit? Re-read what I said, and then let me know how it's relevant to your comment about the 2012 Nats...

Edit in response to your edit:
The age racing should be for (any era up to) the newest era at any PC Nationals, to maximise the chances of anyone being able to participate.
Pre-70 and pre-65 bikes have always been welcome to participate in the age races among the pre-75 bikes.

It's lunacy to complain that you can't get ten bikes in any of the eighteen classes that have been created out of one third of the field...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:35:12 pm by Nathan S »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:06 pm »
The 2012 nats was a roaring success. Col Metcher is the go to guy and has the runs on the board. If not him then someone that has done the same.
Age racing would encourage the older pre75 guys that see the big picture of supporting Vmx and of course the ability to ride against guys in their own age bracket with a chance to earn a title.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
I probably misread your post Nathan. I'm tired of reading everyone's fantastic ideas on how our sport should be changed.
After the success of the last 2 Nats that I've been to at Conondale and Wyaralong I can't see that anything is broken..

albrid-3

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »
I don't know why you fellows keep bringing the national bit into it, when the question is vmx in Australia, its about refreshing vmx in general, it may be working well in QLD, NSW, WA, but its not working well
in VIC, or S.A, TAS, it needs to be repaired. You fellows are so tunnel vision on your own self importance, look at the big picture., VMX in the lower states are suffering.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:52:03 am by Dave #6 »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »
I don't know why you fellows keep bringing the national bit into it, when the question is vmx in Australia, its about refreshing vmx in general, it may be working well in QLD, NSW, WA, but its not working well
in VIC, or S.A, TAS, it need to be repaired. You fellows are so tunnel vision on your own self importance, look at the big picture., VMX in the lower states are suffering.

In light of the problem of lack of entries for the 2013 Post Classic MX Champs I thought I'd start this thread, that way nothing can be perceived as having a go at the Lakes Motorcycle Club.

I think we need to break this issue down into the following categories (feel free to add what you think I have missed).

This is all stuff quickly off the top of my head, I know you all will have some great ideas, if anyone wants to bitch, start your own thread  ;-)

Cost
Effort
Support
Advertising
MA
Races
Classes

COST
* Number of days racing.
* Entry fees.
* Accommodation at event.
* Distance travelled to the event.

EFFORT
* Getting bike scrutineered.
* Washing bikes at event.
* Size of paddock.
* Closed paddock?

SUPPORT
* Need for assistance by a pit crew.
* Pit boarding area.
* Entry closing date, a period is needed to structure classes.

ADVERTISING
* Sending out printable & emailable promo posters & entry-forms.
* National club register for mail-outs.
* Bike shop (VMX friendly) register for poster & entry-form mail-outs.

MA
Now this could get me in some grief, maybe vmx'ers could look at running outside of MA, could it save the costs of permits & complying with class categories, all this would it make the event more rider friendly and lower the costs greatly?

RACES
* Length of races.
* Minimum entries or no-go.

CLASSES
* combining classes.
* Adding new classes (eg: Super Evo Pre 95?)
* Running non-comp classes, allowing recreation licence holders to ride.

* Set the eligable machine for age racing by numbers, eg: Keep upping the accepted year models until the field is substantial?  If you have to allow modern bikes to get a good field of 60 - 70 year olds so be it.

PRIZE MONEY / AWARDS
* Certificates that can be scanned, laminated, board mounted.
* Not many riders have ever raced for prize money.
* Do not let presentation eat into riding time.

I think it is time to think outside the square and make events as easy, low cost & fun to do, what worked in the past will not work in the future.  Maybe this thread will give some constructive ideas to clubs thinking about running events?
You have been shown this once already. This time read the farking thing. This is the first post by the person that started the thread. John speaks about the competition side of vmx. Who's got tunnel vision?
And once again, there are plenty of non competition events to go too. As you are leaning towards the non competition side, when was the last time you attended a Classic Dirt?
Viper members have stated many times that things are all good with their club so who is right, you or them?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:19:41 pm by 090 »

albrid-3

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2013, 07:53:43 am »
I see viper is advertising on ebay now, thats a good idea selling yourself in that way. thumbs up for them

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2013, 08:12:26 am »
I see viper is advertising on ebay now, thats a good idea selling yourself in that way. thumbs up for them

You picked that up quick Dave, good to know the ad gets spotted.  Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:07 am »
you picked that up quick Dave, good to know the ad gets spotted.  Peter.

Spotted pre85mxwa Collie Combined on Gumtree the other day.These days vmx isnt hard to find globaly, no reason to miss an internet search  8)
Best is in the West !!