Author Topic: Air intake boot  (Read 2035 times)

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Air intake boot
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
I purchased a new mikuni carburetor but the air intake boot is to small to go over the carb. Is there any aftermarket manufacturers out there? Or any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

mainline

Re: Air intake boot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »
Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
It was only a few mm to small. I put the boot in hot water and I think it has shrunk even more :-[ I might try some rubber friendly grease. Thanks

Offline craignduke

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
KY it has many uses ::)

mainline

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
It was only a few mm to small. I put the boot in hot water and I think it has shrunk even more :-[ I might try some rubber friendly grease. Thanks

You did try to fit it while it was still warm?

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
It was only a few mm to small. I put the boot in hot water and I think it has shrunk even more  I might try some rubber friendly grease. Thanks

Sounds like one of your late night activities involving the Gymp outfit that you are getting too large to fit into.... apparently... so Walshie said...

;D
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

mainline

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
It was only a few mm to small. I put the boot in hot water and I think it has shrunk even more  I might try some rubber friendly grease. Thanks

Sounds like one of your late night activities involving the Gymp outfit that you are getting too large to fit into.... apparently... so Walshie said...

;D

It's spelt Gimp, and it's too sticky when it's warm

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
Putting into a bag with glycerine for 2 or 3 days will soften it greatly worked on my Yamaha intake
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

ChrisACT

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
What size carby are you trying to fit to what engine?  A few specifics might help us find an answer to your initial question about aftermarket intake boots.

In other words, yes aftermarket items exist for some models.  But we don't know what you've got so we don't know if you can get one.

:D

Montynut

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:47 PM »
If you are replacing a Bing carbie with a Mikuni there is a large difference in the inlet size with the Mikuni being some 15mm bigger in inlet diameter. It is a problem on all conversions. What type of bike?

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
Detergent or KY.
Not ANY grease. It will just pop straight off again.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »
The bike is a 1980 RM 400. I used my wifes hairdryer and got the boot on the carby, but needs to go on a bit more as the new carby is a fraction longer. Will keep trying though. Thanks for the replies