Author Topic: Shock Options for YZ400D  (Read 4002 times)

Simo63

Shock Options for YZ400D
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »
Okay Yamaha gurus .. what's the best bang for buck shock option for my poor old YZ400D?

Can the stock shock be rebuilt by a pro to be a good unit or is that a folly and the money's better spent on a {insert brand name here} replacement?

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
Re: Shock Options for YZ400D
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »
The standard shock can be made to work for a lot less than a new one.

That said though its guess work for the original setup, which then may be need to be altered. (Pull apart & reshim) = (more cost & time) (If you can get it done)

Buying off the shelf they will ask, weight, skill level, type of riding etc. then from experience get it close.

My YZ250F shock has a race tech head & valving. The specs they sent were way out. Much time was spent at Monza (Our local track) pulling the shock out, changing shims, regassing (250lbs) & testing. Eventully good but a lot of hit & miss.

Give Nimmo a call, he has done a few lately.

PS everyone who has them swears by Fox Shox
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:50 pm »
Geez 14 minutes passed and Wallys not been in trying to pedal his wares  :o You must be slipping wally  ;) watch out or people from overseas will be cutting your lunch  ;D

Billy , may I ask why you are being silly ????? If the man really wants a good shock, he knows where we are . Lets not play games . OK

C'mon Wal wheres your sense of humour  ::) it tomorrows fish and chips wrapper right  ;)

Offline Viper666

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »
C'mon boys, play nice. ;)

TM Bill, coming over for CD?

Neale
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:04 pm »
As Viper666 says the std shock can be fitted with a modern piston and valving which is a big improvement or you can hunt down a Fox Airshock (which i used back in the day) and they're pretty good also.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:59:43 pm »
One problem with these old shocks is no remote reservior thus only rebound adjustment & (Virtually) no compression adjustment.

You can remove the stock piston & attach one, as they did in the day, (White brothers) (With or without a compression adjuster) & this makes the better again but it has to be attached to the swingarm which you may not like the look.

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »
Yes its tomorrows paper , but I dont like my fish in the same silly wrapping everyday .( and neither do others ) Create something new , have a go at a new game  , please .

Thanks but ill stick with this one all the same  :-*

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:18:44 pm »
i have got a yz250 and yz400 d one has got a modified std. shock and the other was made by Myssyormoto. std they come with a steel body so there usually in good cond. adding a quality piston and valving is the answer it is not only cheaper it works better .

Simo63

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 04:22:23 pm »
As Viper666 says the std shock can be fitted with a modern piston and valving which is a big improvement or you can hunt down a Fox Airshock (which i used back in the day) and they're pretty good also.

Thanks JO, I've given up on chasing down the elusive fox shock ..every time I get close to one it vanishes ... if it hadn't of been for Worms letting me ride his 400D that has one fitted I'd say they were fables  ;D

One problem with these old shocks is no remote reservior thus only rebound adjustment & (Virtually) no compression adjustment.

You can remove the stock piston & attach one, as they did in the day, (White brothers) (With or without a compression adjuster) & this makes the better again but it has to be attached to the swingarm which you may not like the look.

So I'll see if I can get mine revalved, a reservior fitted and heavier/better spring.  Well I'll get a price to do that first and then compare it with other options like a new one from one of the suppliers.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:47 am »
This must be the first time that I've heard anyone lay praise on the FOXMONO. I like mine but I just never heard anyone else sya anything good about them , they are a bit of work to set up. IN fact I was out practicing a few years ago with some modern bikes and when we came in a Guy who had a KTM enduro approached me and said so it was you on the old YZ . The guy took his helmet off , it was Bernie Ryan .I offered him a ride of my bike but he declined saying something derogatory about the handling .I protested that it handles good , mentioned the FOXMONO  to which he replied " those #@#@##@ things mate throw it in the F@#@#%^ bin ! I didnt !

Simo63

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
i have got a yz250 and yz400 d one has got a modified std. shock and the other was made by Myssyormoto. std they come with a steel body so there usually in good cond. adding a quality piston and valving is the answer it is not only cheaper it works better .

Thanks ARN. Never heard of a Myssyormoto but I will look into getting the standard shock reworked, revalved etc as a few others have suggested.  If that's economical and evidence is that the results are there (usually you can either have economical or quality .. not often both at the same time), then that will be the way to go.

Cheers
Craig

This must be the first time that I've heard anyone lay praise on the FOXMONO. I like mine but I just never heard anyone else sya anything good about them , they are a bit of work to set up. IN fact I was out practicing a few years ago with some modern bikes and when we came in a Guy who had a KTM enduro approached me and said so it was you on the old YZ . The guy took his helmet off , it was Bernie Ryan .I offered him a ride of my bike but he declined saying something derogatory about the handling .I protested that it handles good , mentioned the FOXMONO  to which he replied " those #@#@##@ things mate throw it in the F@#@#%^ bin ! I didnt !

I'll provide the bin if you like  ;D ;D

maico police

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »
Your shock already has a reservoir. It's part of it. Plus yours is a steel body which doesn't wear (well not like an alloy one anywho). Yes it will probably need heavier springs and if you throw a Gold Valve in it then it can be set up to suit you.
The thing will be night/day difference and you're not stuffing about trying to retro-fit some thing that is meant to fit (according to the manufacturer), but doesn't. :'(

Simo63

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:32 pm »
I am a bit behind at the moment because there is only the one machine, that can do that long body . The one that was ordered will leave to you  by Friday for sure  8)  Nearly done  8)

Who are you directing this at?  Certainly not me as I have not done anything with the shock yet.  You might be confusing me with someone else maybe??

Simo63

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:36:18 am »
No not at you Craig , the person concerned has watched the thread and I forgot to take his phone number to let him know about the brief delay . All good Craig .  8)

No worries Wasp, I thought it might be something like that  8)