Author Topic: Bike Clubs and what can go wrong  (Read 8401 times)

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Clubs and what can go wrong
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:49:43 pm »
slides nepean that`s the club who removes "negative" facebook comments which are the truth

Offline Barronvmx

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »
The biggest problem is what Suzuki 59 mentioned, is that club members are usually slack or have no idea how much time and effort goes into organising the club and race meetings. If some else wants to do all the work for you let them and just turn up and ride, this is how these dictators take over and after a while because they do so much its their club not the members.
So who's to blame? All of us and until we all have ago at being on the club commitee or help the powers that be, little hitlers will raise there ugly heads in every sport. 
Huskies
CR250 1972, CR400 1972, SC125 1973, CR250 1975GP, WR250 1979/80, XC125 1983, TX510 1983, XC125 1984 project, CR250 1984 project
Honda's
SL100 1971, XL100 1974, Hondasaki 210, XL185 1981 project
Jawa's
1959 250 project, 1969 175 trail boss project.
Sachs 1969 125

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:54 pm »
I'm not going to get into slagging personalities but I well know where Slakewells coming from. Unfortunately these club positions are often taken up by people with personal agenda and a dictatorial bent. HEAVEN in particular had a bloke at the helm who offended nearly everyone he dealt with. Thankfully HEAVEN and Penrith are now being driven by folks who have the sports future as their main focus, not political ambition or Mussolini role playing. One problem with the club structure is that most punters join a club to race, the last thing they want to do is man the sign up table, wave a flag or lap score. That's why it's hard to find good officials who not only have good administration skills and a good working knowledge of vintage racings unique foibles but have an even temper, good communication skills and can can get it done while racing three classes himself on the day. When these people get into administrative positions in the club we need to treat them with the highest of respect by offering assistance whenever it's needed or at the very least not making their day harder by loading them with petty crap. People with these positive skills are as rare as chicken lips and need to be encouraged and nurtured
Ah the "good old Heaven days" when The Son of Satan was at the helm,making no friends with all and sundry.
I think that you will find the odd power  hungry zealot in committees etc in all sports,including VMX.
Because  generally they are the only places that they can feel powerful and important.
Ultimately if you want to do something about people like this,you need to man up,and get involved with the club.
Just saying.
Cheers
Craig
Only started racing back in 2011 with the Heaven club doing 3 or 4 races a year
and ive been really happy with how the committee goes about running the whole scene
and keeping the members happy come race day.
Curious to know who the Son of Satan was ??
Does the guy still have anything to do with the club ??

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:13 pm »
I dont say much anymore, but what a narrow minded topic, just accept you will allways have conflicts in clubs and if the slack arse's arnt doing it your way, go to a meeting and say so, as probally nobody has told them correct equite in dealing with old farts.

just my take on it, cheers worms

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:40 pm »
No Son of Satan, Andrew. This is not the place to talk about Heaven stuff
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Curly3

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »
Well come and join Banky Micks. ;D

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:39 pm »
The whinge I've always enjoyed in the past was weekend riders moaning that "certain" riders had the advantage of knowing an enduro route before the race. Yup dipshits, those are the guys who helped organize the event. Just stick up your hand and give up a few Sundays of your time. You might even enjoy yourselves.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40:03 pm »
Son of Satan was at the helm
For what it's worth I took my seat to the above gentlemans sons upholstery business today and I can't help being impressed by what a nice young man he is. As well as being articulate, friendly and interested in what a fat old fart had to say, he's pretty damn good at the wheel of his sowing machine. It just goes to show that the arsehole factor doesn't always progress through the genetic chain.

After years in a self imposed boycott of the club I'm going to rejoin Penrith club. I intended going to the February meeting but unexpected visitors nipped that in the bud. When is the next Penrith club meeting?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:43:17 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »
Going on the incontestable drivel I espouse here, just fervently imagine what a benign megalomaniac leader I would make to any club... ::)   

Damned lucky I work every weekend Huh.... :D
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 07:26:27 am »
i am involved with 2 clubs in north brisbane
i must say apart from always needing more volunteers
we dont have these problems

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:05 am »
Let's not revisit past wrongs.Its great to hear and see from across the ditch how well the Heaven club is going.

But if I were to put a positive spin on the "Son of Satan" it would have to be that given the political issues and backstabbing that went on prior to his election,the club seemed to be in a tenuous position.So his "strong " dictatorial leadership was probably needed to keep the club afloat.
But unfortunately some of his calls upset a number of people who I suspect were lost to the sport.
But again its excellent to see the club thrive,which ensures that all the work done over the years by the likes of John G,Mark C,Magoo,Mark  Austin,Dennis Myers and the guy who's name I forgot who had the bike shop at MonaVale ?? etc etc are not lost.

Cheers
Craig

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:23 am »
.... and the guy who's name I forgot who had the bike shop at MonaVale ....

Carl Blecher.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:39 am »
And it's at Artarmon  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:45:15 am by 2-NINE-7 »

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:50 am »
Son of Satan was at the helm
For what it's worth I took my seat to the above gentlemans sons upholstery business today and I can't help being impressed by what a nice young man he is. As well as being articulate, friendly and interested in what a fat old fart had to say, he's pretty damn good at the wheel of his sowing machine. It just goes to show that the arsehole factor doesn't always progress through the genetic chain.

After years in a self imposed boycott of the club I'm going to rejoin Penrith club. I intended going to the February meeting but unexpected visitors nipped that in the bud. When is the next Penrith club meeting?

Firko the next Penrith meeting is tomorrow night (March 13) 7pm at the Eastern Creek Tavern.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
I think we're all familiar with the bike club jobsworth (can't do this/can't do that/you can do that but only if its a full moon/etc..)  Unfortunately they are a necessity, and quite often they are the lifeblood of the club too. 

You should all be relieved you're not in karting.  That over-officiated sport is run by the most self-interested bunch of power hungry tools ever.  I'm happy to point you in the direction of their forums if you need a laugh.  Makes the footpeg threads on here seem like a drop in the ocean.