Author Topic: 2 stroke oil  (Read 18146 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: 2 stroke oil
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
Motil 800 at 40:1, you guys running it at 25:1 must have a lot of oily residue dripping out your exhaust pipe.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Motul 800 32:1 only foul plugs if I putt around slow.My 89 rmx 250 hasn't even had a set of rings replaced I've had it nearly 2 years previous owner had it 5 years still has plenty compression and not a set of rings or piston in that time ;D.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi
74 Honda CR125 , Castrol TT motorcycle Two stroke oil  at 20 to 1
never foul up a plug yet , on really fast track , long time on the throttle, 16 to 1
cheers

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
FWIW for the first 500k of my modern Husaberg 2t's life i ran TTS @ 32-1 and it ran beautifully, crisp and clean. Last time i went out i was out of TTS and used the remains of a Motul 800 bottle i had in shed, mixed at appx 40-1. For the first time ever the bike fouled a plug!!! It also felt a little down on power and wasn't as sharp in response as i'd come to know. I will now stick to TTS at 32-1 in everything as i had done for quite a while anyway. IT200L, YZ125E, IT250K, KDX200B, PE175T, 2012 Husaberg TE250 and whatever finds its way in and out of the shed in between, one oil, one ratio (32-1) ZERO PROBLEMS!!!!  ;) ;D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
Very interesting what works for some, i would not use TTS in my whipper snipper, something about it being hydroscopic. I do know people who love it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:34:58 PM by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
Castrol TTS at 32:1 in everything.  At $75 for 4 litres it is good value also (even cheaper when SuperCheap have their 20% off sale).

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
That's interesting Rookie considering 'Berg/KTM 2T's are designed to run @ 60:1. I use Motul 800 in my Berg TE250 @60:1 and in my VMX'ers @40:1 without any issues whatsoever. A mate has just become the Oz importer for GRO (popular in Europe), so I'm about to give it a go. I too am not a fan of TTS. I had a customer many years ago who ran his Sea Doo XP (130hp) on cooking oil from the supermarket, never had an issue. He's a braver man than me in that respect!
On a different note with your Berg Rookie, I found the engine wasn't as strong as the Husky WR250 so I've done some playing: SX head, Suzuki NEDW needle on the third clip, 40 pilot, 165 main, red (soft) power valve spring with the dolly wound out flush to the housing. Electric smooth , pulls like a train, lugs beautifully & still has the berries when you want them.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
Castrol TTS at 25:1 in the CZ everything else at 32:1.
Buy the 4 litre container at supercheap auto when they have the 20% off deals
and never buy the 1 litre bottle cause its only half the price of the 4 litre.
And i always mix it in with the 98 octane fuel. 

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
Motorex at 100 : 1 or 80:1 ( depending how brave im feeling). Both the KTM 300 and the Husky wr 400 run on it well. so does the whipper snipper, blower vac, chainsaw and the 4 stroke mower!

yes, smoke comes out but little or no splooge which is a bonus

the 300 is an 010 and just had its first top end and looked fine. Powervalve was clean with very little gum, piston had a couple of little marks and the bore was fine.

its important to ensure you have full synthetics at this ratio as the base from which the oil is made is much heavier than the cheaper oils and hence can still provide the lubrication required. you get a much cooler charge as per firing as there is more fuel than oil. at 16 : 1 there is a lot of oil in the charge potentially allowing it to run hotter.

For rare parts engines such as older ktms etc, this is not reccomended. flood it with oil as best you can...

i twigged on to this when a few mates came back from a KTM dealers ride in WA and said Leisky was using it for all the two strokes. 4 days of flat out desert riding was a good test.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »
Problem with two stroke oil/fuel ratios?   Look in your owners handbook.....Solved

Problem with two stroke oil/fuel ratios?   Read the label on the oils packaging ...Solved

Problem with two stroke oil/fuel ratios?   Buy a two stroke with working oil injection*....Solved

Problem with two stroke oil/fuel ratios?   Buy a four stroke ....Solved.

* Pre75/78 TM  Suzukis ..Why on earth do drongos always seem to want to pull off the impressive fitted oil feeding system????? and go back to asking the crude how much petrol/oil % questions  bullshit.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Would I be out on my own if I mentioned Silkolene Comp2 Plus?
U can get it at most Supercheap Autos & I swear by it...Ran it for Years when I raced the Shell Series & never had a issue.
I remember running TTS & the first time I used it I had a failure! Lots of people swear by TTS so maybe I did something wrong at the time, but it left me with a bad taste & a rebuild.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »
As I've yet to start my 84 KX250 and I have a bottle of Bel Ray Si-7 fully synthetic.

As this is my first 2 stroke in 20 yrs, is this ok to use and at what ratio? Or should I use TTS or Motel 800 like most others? To be mixed with 98 unleaded?

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
......you get a much cooler charge as per firing as there is more fuel than oil. at 16 : 1 there is a lot of oil in the charge potentially allowing it to run hotter........

many people do not understand this.

i've had numerous discussions (quite often eventually turning into arguements) with riders whos believe using more 2stroke per litre of fuel means a cooler combustion temp...

i always say if you want a cooler combustion temp then run a cooler spark plug

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
Motul 800 at 30:1. Bike had about 80 hours on it when I sold it, possibly more (depending on how truthful the previous owner was). It was used for everything - trailriding, MX, Pony Expresses, teaching mates to ride, training in the sand at Larbert, etc.

New owner put a new top end in it, and found the original piston ring was still comfortably within spec.

Never fouled a plug, always ran clean. Spooge seems pretty irrelevant when you can get 100+ hours from a 125 MX top end.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
HI Bishboy, I run the Castrol TTS in my 84 KX250 at 32:1.  I did run it on Bel Ray H1R and tried different mixture ratios and it does seem a little cleaner on the TTS.  I reckon the Bel Ray Si7 would be a good drop. Try it around 32 or 35:1 and you will be sweet