Author Topic: Bad vibrations!  (Read 3745 times)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Bad vibrations!
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
After doing a full rebuild on my 125.It seems to have a bottom end vibration >:(
All bearings have been replaced.Crank rebuilt,rebore etc.
After it started the first time I suspected the main bearing were spinning in the cases.
Also seemed not as bad when you pulled the clutch in.
Checked out the clutch basket which had some movement,in/out back and forward where the gear connects the the back of the basket.
Belted down the rivets that hold it together. Which took out the play.
You could jiggle the crank/flywheel up and down.
Removed and replaced the bearings either side, put some locktite liquid metal in which cured that.
Checked the crank width which is a little over the standard in the manual.
Re assembled and ran it again it still seems to be there  ::)
Would it be the crank out of balance when it has been re assembled or could something else be the cause?
Don't want to pull it down again just to start scratching my head.

oldfart

Re: Bad vibrations!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:45:57 pm »
Is the mag running true ..... put a dial indicator on it  ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »
Is the crank balanced properly? Sounds like the cases are rooted if you had to use liquid metal to hold the bearings in. Did you replace all the gearbox bearings also?
Are the engine mount holes in the cases or frame flogged out? That can also cause vibration.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
Is the crank balanced properly? Sounds like the cases are rooted if you had to use liquid metal to hold the bearings in. Did you replace all the gearbox bearings also?
Are the engine mount holes in the cases or frame flogged out? That can also cause vibration.
Only had to use a smear of loctite which seems to have done the job.
All the bearings had been replaced.
Checked the bolts/holes etc.
Had that problem on another bike ,so I knew about that one.
Is the mag running true ..... put a dial indicator on it  ;)
I guess you mean the flywheel/rotor?
Can that not seat on the taper correctly on the crank half?
Should I try another flywheel?

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:49 pm »
I know this sounds stupid but I once forgot to tighten the engine bolts?
And don't forget the rear engine mount is held by the swing arm. (On some models)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:14:52 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:57 pm »
While repairing a bike years back I found the clutch shaft was bent.
Can’t imagine what the previous mechanic did to it to cause this.

Another bike had a clutch basket that had the Cush drive rubbers disintegrate

The trouble with your clutch basket makes me think of both of these problems.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:19 am »
Jase, Have you checked the crank itself for runout? who rebuilt your crank, did you do it yourself or outsource it ? - when you do it yourself at least you can spend the time to make sure its running perfectly true. also as per what GMC mentioned , i had a 1990 RM125 that was running as sweet as a bird, then all of a sudden it developed a horrendous rattle and vibration. THe clutch basket was the culprit, replaced it and happy days again.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:34 am »
From my experiences, the main clutch basket bearing & bush need replacing every season on the late 80s-mid 90s RMs. Once they start to wear, the complete basket starts to pivot around (like A gyroscopic effect) & can make a horrendous vibration. If the vibration decreases when the clutch is pulled in, this may be the culprit.
Hope this helps.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:26 am »
first thought is engine bolts not tight enough including swing/arm bolt through back of motor if it's that type. Secondly, if it has a 'full' flywheel--i had one once where the rivets were loose [broke off in the end & flywheel took off--roadracing RT1 Yam minus the cover, long story. Thirdly the pipe isn't touching the frame or solid mounted without rubbers etc. Also--piston [just] touching head. Gotta go but will think of more later. Cheers.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »
Thanks for the tips so far.
Jase, Have you checked the crank itself for runout? who rebuilt your crank, did you do it yourself or outsource it ? - when you do it yourself at least you can spend the time to make sure its running perfectly true. also as per what GMC mentioned , i had a 1990 RM125 that was running as sweet as a bird, then all of a sudden it developed a horrendous rattle and vibration. THe clutch basket was the culprit, replaced it and happy days again.
Had the crank done by Ken Colvin. Seemed to be pretty old school, did a good job on the re bore. Champhered the ports etc.
Can you do a crank at home :o.
How do you go about checking it to see if its ok?
Re the clutch. Maybe that is part of the problem but it seems that the vibration is coming more from the flywheel side.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:21 pm »
Check that the crank isn't bent at the flywheel taper, I've had one bend when removing a flywheel.

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »
Take the barrel off again  ;D and put a dial indicator on  crank half's  while hand turning your crank should tell you whats going on with out splitting the cases.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
Take the barrel off again  ;D and put a dial indicator on  crank half's  while hand turning your crank should tell you whats going on with out splitting the cases.

Good thinking Stewart  :)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »

You would need a dial on each web and that still wouldn't tell what happening at the journal. Engine bolt or mount maybe the clutch thing would be more likely IMO.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »
Just took pity on the neighbors 200 4 wheeler [loncin engine non name quad]. Just knew it was gonna give me grief. [look what i just bought]The old--it's only a small bike, their can't be much wrong with it trick. Anyway--Vibration--sorted it's various electrical problems etc but it 'vibrates' quite bad. Motor sounds good [no noises],so not going to go looking as all mounting bolts are supper tight & someone said once that these cheapy things built out of very thin gauge steel can play havoc in that respect. Remember when we were bucket racing, one of us put a mudbug or ts100 in an RG50 frame & vibrated bad [maybe he hadn't tightened it up].
Build my own cranks at home & get them close with a steel ruler then finish in the lathe with a center in the good end & the open the tail stock chuck up to fit up the taper to just before the keyway seeing the thread is nearly always bent from years of abuse. Set a dial gauge near the wheels & start from there. Wouldn't say i'm good at it but [needs must] get them pretty close whacking them around or squeeze or spread as required. Forgot where this is heading but probably trying to say that more often than not-vibration is caused by something else other than the crank being set up 100% true. Jut to tell another story re-out of true, back in the day [AJS 6 day trial factory bike--was before i got to it], boss wanted it roadworthy overnight for a road trial [nz], lights hadn't been on it for years & on fitting the alternator [direct lighting] found crank 'so far out' that it poled & couldn't turn the motor so Fk it [don't tell the boss] i just machined down the rotor till it gave clearance!!, went around in a gyration but worked & gave lights. Think i know who has that bike now--must tell him the story if he's given up on why the lights are 'dull'. Sorry, none of the above is probably of any help to you. Cheers.