Author Topic: Bike security  (Read 1331 times)

gerpster

Bike security
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:55:01 pm »
Thought this may be of interest to members....

Stories of stolen bikes have prompted me to go looking for a decent security device for my bikes. I know that if they really want them they can get them but my goal is to at least make it difficult.    >:(

I have spotted a product call Lock Alarm that has a 15 foot cable (US made) and a 120db alarm attached. The alarm sounds if cable is cut or lock is manipulated. It is powered by a 9 volt battery locked with a key in the steel body of the lock. Base price is aboout $50 Aust but I have emailed an Aussie distributor to see if he would give a bulk discount. Hopefully 1 of these could be used for a few bikes.

SO if anyone is interested in getting one or more let me know.   ;)

Check it out here at the US site.....

http://www.lockalarm.com/

Oh yeh.....I am no way connected with this mob...am just looking for a good security device and this seems to be what I need.

Tony T

Re: Bike security
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:32:27 pm »
I've got an alarm on my shed that cost me $9.95 at the post office. It's simply a sensor and a magnet. When the 2 halves are separated, all hell brakes loose. It is LOUD!!!!
I guess there's no reason it couldn't be adapted to fit with one half on a bike wheel and the other half on the floor/bench etc.
I've also got a simply system of a square rod through both the door frame and the shed frame with a pad lock on it. So to get in my shed you need the door key, the code for the padlock and the code for the alarm. Total cost maybe $40.00 max.
It still only takes me 30 seconds to get in though and should be enough of a deterant.
Plus I've got excellent neighbours that would come running if they heard that alarm.  ;D

mx250

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:57:27 am »
Alarms need someone in hearing range, motivated and able to intervene. Great for some but not always a guarantee.

Simplest thing is to remove front wheel and store completely separately (like under your bed or in a locked cabinet in the garage) ;).

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
Or just leave your shed as it would be in before any cd weekend and no one would ever find anything in one piece.But simple things all ways make it harder for scum.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
 Ahh, The old Kaos theory.
            Move along, there's no elsies here!!