Author Topic: Nice Rickman Montesa ending tonight.  (Read 4638 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Rickman Montesa ending tonight.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:39:44 am »
Thats really quite nice.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:49 pm »
The wooden tailpiece is strange to say the least.....plus, I don't ever recall seeing a US Racing Blue Rickman Monty. It's an early pre crinkle fin bike, a different frame to the crinkle bikes but a good thing just the same. Although they don't look it, Rickman Monty's are substantially lighter than the factory Cappra.
Here's a couple for sale on Marks that make that Aussie blue bike a bargain because of the lack of shipping...They're nice bike's just the same, more original than the Aussie blue bike. The missing parts are easily found though.

FOR SALE
Ad # 3211818 February 27, 2013

1974 Rickman Montessas TWO, both in excellent race ready condition. Asking $2,500 each or trades for street bike considered.
     Steve Churchill
San Jose, CA
Phone: 408-316-4095 | Email
Registered Since 1/1/2013 | 2 Posts

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:48:52 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »
I know the gentleman that owns these. Should be easy to get them to port of Richmond  ;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:26:38 pm »
The wooden tailpiece is strange to say the least.....plus, I don't ever recall seeing a US Racing Blue Rickman Monty. 
 [/b]

We are all slaves to different budgets. I see the plywood tail as a piece of art/ingenuity to get the job done and back on the track as a ready to race, complete bike. It looks that bloody good, that I would probably leave it as is.

And mate that colour blue happens to be my favorite shade of the rainbow.

A lick of paint shouldn't be enough to deter anybody from a dream mount anyhow. I reckon I could claim to be a lot smarter if I bought this bargin instead of continually throwing my super at Maico fascination and loyalty through the acquisition of junked Maico parts as a build means.

Geez this photobucket is like lightening.   
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:37:10 pm »
I don't know why you keep saying plywood it is clearly an aluminium tail piece  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Plywood?  Never seen anyone get a neat fold, not to mention pop rivet, plywood.  You blokes have such eagle eyes I'm suprised you didn't pick up that it's some neatly folded aluminium.  Good buying if it goes for the starting bid.  And it does look good in blue.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »
I don't know why you keep saying plywood it is clearly an aluminium tail piece  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

me too,that what i thought!

Montynut

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »
It seems to be a bit of a mix. I thought a '72 should have had an up pipe running along the left side?

The earlier Pre70 version had the down pipe with s similiar style of engine although that engine seems to have the Scorpion RH engine side cover

The later VR series engine from '73 also had the down pipe as in Firko's post.

If it is actually Pre70 it would be a very good thing I would think
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:09:32 pm by Montynut »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »
Well that's even less to whinge about, at least it wont get termites hey girls and boys.

Maybe its time I got new glasses.

Bargin,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
Now you bring it to my attention it seems I've had yet another pensioner moment. Of course it's aluminium, fluck I'm a dickhead ::), my apologies to our crafty sheetie if he's reading this.
Mick, I'm not criticizing the bike in the slightest, I was merely commenting that US Racing Blue while being a genuine colour for Mk4 Rickmans, wasn't available for the Montesa, the little Zundapp version did come in blue however. For what it's worth I think they look nuch nicer in blue. Another oddity with this bike is that it appears to have a fibreglass tank while every Rickman Monty I've seen came with a steel item. It might be steel but the Monza cap and ever so slightly different shape give it away. Note lack of indentation for Rickman Logo. It's a nice bike if a little mixed up, I get the impression he may have started with a frame and he added the parts as he found 'em on eBay.

Montynut, I very much doubt if you'll get a Rickman Montesa into pre 70 seeing they weren't released until 1971.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:29:52 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:30 pm »
Now you bring it to my attention it seems I've had yet another pensioner moment. Of course it's aluminium, fluck I'm a dickhead ::), my apologies to our crafty sheetie if he's reading this.
Mick, I'm not criticizing the bike in the slightest, I was merely commenting that US Racing Blue while being a genuine colour for Mk4 Rickmans, I don't think came on the Montesa, the little Zundapp version did however. For what it's worth I think they look nuch nicer in blue. Another oddity with this bike is that it appears to have a fibreglass tank while every Rickman Monty I've seen came with a steel item. It might be steel but the Monza cap and ever so slightly different shape give it away. Note lack of indentation for Rickman Logo. It's a nice bike if a little mixed up, I get the impression he may have started with a frame and picked up all of the other parts on eBay.

I reckon you might be close to the money there Fifko, but never the less, still a bargin bit of kit
Didn't it already pass in once? Unsure,,,

I would be all over it like a rash, If I hadn't just bought the oval 360X3 from the states and pre-60 project and another couple of grands worth of bits and pieces for them last night.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:35:06 pm by Mick De »

mainline

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »
Another oddity with this bike is that it appears to have a fibreglass tank while every Rickman Monty I've seen came with a steel item. It might be steel but the Monza cap and ever so slightly different shape give it away. Note lack of indentation for Rickman Logo.

The original steel tank is included in the auction. There's a pic of it

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 06:51:11 pm »
Its actually the frame from the 74 VR-engined Rickman isn't it?

May actually be VR engine w earlier top end & outer engine covers, or very early 73 VR engine which didn't have crinkle-fins

LHS engine cover has me intrigued. Its early style but has LH shifting. Don't know of any model that had that.

Looks very nice to me.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 06:57:34 pm »
These do come up every now and then and there a bloody good thing, I have seen one at the nats in Aus a few times.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle