Author Topic: Custom Sprockets  (Read 1630 times)

ChrisACT

Custom Sprockets
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »
My project requires me to have custom sprockets made as I want to reduce friction in this part of the drive train.  Smaller chain = less power lost.

I sent a few emails out into the ether in order to find a mob that would make them for me.

These guys got the job.  http://shop.pbisprockets.com/main.sc

They are making me a pair of 420 pitch rear sprockets for a YZ125A hub from Aluminum 7075-T651.

About $135 including shipping to Australia (they're in Oregon, USA).  Seemed a reasonable price to me.

I tried Chain Gang in Australia but they wouldn't do 420 sprockets hence me shopping internationally.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Sprockets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:13:37 pm »
why not get them done in 415 pitch

ChrisACT

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:55:31 pm »
why not get them done in 415 pitch

Fair question.

The answer is that I already have virtually new front sprockets and chains in 420 because that's what I was using on the bike when I was racing it in Superlite.

With the addition of the YZ125A rear hub (which I need because I'm running the 100cc engine in a DT175 frame and the DT100 rear wheel doesn't go in as well as the YZ125A wheel should), I was going to have to buy new rear sprockets anyway.

Sourcing front sprockets for a DT100 countershaft in 415 pitch hadn't actually crossed my mind.  If I had been going to buy the lot then it would be worth pursuing.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:52:32 am »
420 and 415 have the same pitch just the 420 is wider, just need someone with a lathe Chris  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

ChrisACT

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26:17 am »
420 and 415 have the same pitch just the 420 is wider, just need someone with a lathe Chris  ;)

Haha.  That's crazy talk, mate.  ;) 

Pffft.  Lathe.  <shakes head>

Who owns a ... never mind.

ChrisACT

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:48 pm »
My mind is blown.

These fellas in Oregon have delivered my custom made sprockets to me in 6 days.  That's right.  They took my order last Wednesday, made the sprockets, shipped them to me and I have them in my hot little hands right now!!

The look nice too.  Shiny.   ;D  And they fit perfectly.

Plus they knew all about the dished sprockets that normally go on the YZ125A hub so they appear to not be ignorant douches.

I cannot recommend them highly enough.  If you want custom made sprockets or even if you just don't want to wait weeks for your local dealer to get them in, give these guys a go.

http://shop.pbisprockets.com/main.sc

PS. I am not affiliated with them in any way.  Just a satisfied customer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:20:44 pm by ChrisACT »