Author Topic: very nice 87 cr125  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: very nice 87 cr125
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:40 pm »
I'll take 4 sets of plastics for a 465 . I'll send you 400 tomorrow Paul
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 06:54:41 am »
I realise YZ125's are relatively cheap to restore, but I reckon you could more than double this figure if you just went and ordered everything from the one place without shopping around and then had someone else do all the rebuild work for you.

That's the part that makes a huge difference IMHO.  As soon as you have to get someone else to do something labour starts killing you.   If you spend the time you can find cheaper parts.  And you have to not get carried away with buying NOS parts  ::)

Both those bikes are very nice restos and a credit to you.  They look as good or better in the flesh - and they both go very well (after you fix the kill switch  ;D ;D)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

mainline

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:57 am »
Some of those prices are cheap. Are the spokes from China? I have to pay $350 for a set of stainless spokes. A lot more for a full set of plastics. Number boards cost me $100-120. Did you do the number boards yourself? Did you also paint the tank yourself? I couldn't paint a tank and make it look good. It would look more like it was painted with a mop! Seat foam and base? Forks? Original carby? Brake shoes? Swingarm bushes, air filter? I'm helping a friend do his kx250a5 and he will have to spend lots more than that. It will be the first bike I will keep tabs on what has to be spent. Mind you this is where I get the  "one mans race ready, another man's junk" call from. This was a rider but everything is stuffed. From broken frame in multiple places to welded sprocket and gear lever.

As i mentioned earlier I painted everything myself. The spokes are DID from Japan and zinc not stainless, I can live with that. Seat was mentioned in my list, original carby was swapped with vandy for another that was cleaned up and ready to go. Swingarm bushes for these things are fibre and cheap as chips. Fork chrome was fine, rebuilt them myself.

At the end of the day you could probably add $200 onto the list for small parts I've forgotton, but I also sold a heap of extra bits for about $150 after it was finished.

mainline

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:11 am »
I'll take 4 sets of plastics for a 465 . I'll send you 400 tomorrow Paul

if you read my previous post Ted, you would see I acknowledged that this bike is one that is relatively cheaper than other models to rebuild. The front guard is a $30 repo from the UK, the rear is a $30 MCS universal. The side plates are S/H yellow 'X' items that I painted. $50 for the front plate.

mainline

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:46:22 am »
I realise YZ125's are relatively cheap to restore, but I reckon you could more than double this figure if you just went and ordered everything from the one place without shopping around and then had someone else do all the rebuild work for you.

That's the part that makes a huge difference IMHO.  As soon as you have to get someone else to do something labour starts killing you.   If you spend the time you can find cheaper parts.  And you have to not get carried away with buying NOS parts  ::)

Both those bikes are very nice restos and a credit to you.  They look as good or better in the flesh - and they both go very well (after you fix the kill switch  ;D ;D)

Very true on the NOS thing. I could have paid $50 each for NOS exhaust mount brackets only to have the 30 yr old rubber break as it has done to me in the past. I made alu brackets myself and shimmed them with rubber.

luckily the shop gave me a new killswitch to replace the dodge one
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:50:26 am by mainline »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:04 am »
Pays to shop locally for that kind of stuff...

Was good of them to replace it.  Did they shout you a beer for the mental angst it caused  ;D ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:57 am »
I'm glad to know how it can be done. It seems the condition of the bike, what you are prepared to utilise and bike make all play a part. Things like being able to rebuild the shock you have is a big saving as opposed to buying a new set, same as what you did to your wheels. I personally have to go the stainless route with spokes. It would shit me to tears watching the spokes go dull over time. I still can't see the bloody seat in there. Am I blind or are you delusional?  :D

mainline

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:55 am »
I still can't see the bloody seat in there. Am I blind or are you delusional?  :D

it would appear that I am blind/delusional  :D I had a trimmer I use at Chapel Hill redo the seat using the existing base for $120. He does/did good work really cheap, but was a pain to deal with. True, I 'settled' for re-using/refurbishing a lot of the old parts where I could. I knew the bike would be raced, so shiny new rims for example, were a cost I just couldn't justify. The tank now looks very S/H, modern boots and knee braces did a good job on it.

and yes, the condition of the bike you start with plays a big part in the end cost, but it wasn't very pretty to begin with

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:35 am »

Did you sand the forks?
Patience also works when you are wanting to save money. I used the original rims on my Ossa but paid someone to polish them for $140 rather than spend the majority of a day doing it myself (lazy=money). Then got stainless spokes.

mainline

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 10:40:22 am »

Did you sand the forks?
Patience also works when you are wanting to save money. I used the original rims on my Ossa but paid someone to polish them for $140 rather than spend the majority of a day doing it myself (lazy=money). Then got stainless spokes.

The forks that are in the 'before' picture got swapped for some 125x forks with conventional springs instead of the air cap setup. Apparently the original lowers are quite popular so I had a couple of people chasing them.

I did sand and polish the 'X' lowers myself. It only took about 4 or so beers

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »

Did you sand the forks?

I reckon you farm out what you cannot do due to lack of workshop/tools etc and go to work and do what you do best.

i am sure you earn more than $140 a day brad so i reckon that was money well spent and you still didn't eat into your free time
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

mainline

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »

Did you sand the forks?

I reckon you farm out what you cannot do due to lack of workshop/tools etc and go to work and do what you do best.

i am sure you earn more than $140 a day brad so i reckon that was money well spent and you still didn't eat into your free time

Don't discount the satisfaction you get from resurrecting some tired old part, nor the mental health aspect of some time alone in the shed

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:03 pm »
i think the price is excellent considering how much it would cost to restore one of these. i challenge anyone to build one of same quality for less.

its just a shitty market

Shitty market or not, anyone who can't build one better for $3000, needs to take up knitting.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 10:07:59 am »
i think the price is excellent considering how much it would cost to restore one of these. i challenge anyone to build one of same quality for less.

its just a shitty market

Shitty market or not, anyone who can't build one better for $3000, needs to take up knitting.
I'm helping a friend do up a kx250a5 but it's no budget bike. He wants it all done and she's pretty sad now it's been stripped and inspected. Yet it looked ridable and was ridden the way it was. To restore a bike for that sort of money there still has to be a few compromises,but I will say that what Paul has done for the money and obviously more time to offset the money spent has been a bit of an eye opener. Saying that, there are quite a number of bikes that will cost you more (I'm talking mainstream bikes, not exotica ) than others.
I'd say Yamaha's are cheap 'cause no body want's them!  :D :D
So, how about that cr125... ::)
This has got to be the worst thread highjack EVER!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:49 am »
The costs only really blow out when you get caught with a maxed-out barrel (etc) or you start paying other people for big stuff.

Most motors can be fully rebuilt for under $1k - that's a new bore, rod kit, bearings and seals, and any other little bits and pieces they might need.
Plastics kits with seat cover are typically $500ish, for everything but the tank (which can usually be restored).
Wheels end up around $500 for spoke kits, bearings, and new tyres (assuming you've got/can find decent rims).
Shock and fork rebuild is about $300 total if you can avoid rechroming.
$200 for decent chain and sprockets.
$150 for new alloy bars, levers, grips.
$400 for a new pipe and muffler.
$500 for the other bits and pieces, like linkage kits, bolts, maybe some Chinese radiators.
$200 for paint (assuming DIY).

What's missing from the list? The total is closer to $4k than 3, but will also give you a considerably better bike than the CR125 in question... The converse point is that old mate's CR doesn't have new tyres, good bars, a new pipe, etc.

It's easy to spend more (and I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to), but a lot of it comes down to choosing the right bike for your goals.
I sometimes wonder why people spend good money on clean original bikes, just to rip it apart and replace three quarters of it with NOS bits...

Similarly, a lot of it comes down to knowing what is still servicable. Replacing everything gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside, but (compared to making a proper judgement on the condition of the bits you have) can be a bloody expensive exercise for no real gain.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.