Author Topic: KX80A2 Help  (Read 2888 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
KX80A2 Help
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Long time admirer, first time Kawasaki owner.

I have just scored a pretty tidy little KX80 that has probably been sitting in the shed for the past decade or two because the previous owner could not come to grips with the sort of coin it will take to repair the con rod and barrel. Anyway I thought I would take it on since the barrel can be replated or sleeved, and there should be some aftermarket rod kit that would fit as Kawasaki no longer carry the Con Rod.

Does anyone know which rod would match for a replacement? I have had a search in Ebay with no luck, as a matter of fact there is not much available for this little bruiser on the aftermarket scene or genuine. The other thing I will need is an air cleaner element, one would have thought uni or moose etc. would do one, but no.

Does anyone know of a supplier or where I can buy A sheet of filter foam from?

Cheers Jason
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KX80A2 Help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »
Hi Jason,

Difficult to find a rod kit. Ebay would be your best bet as they come up every once in a while and are quite cheap. I did manage to find this guy who appears to make them...

http://www.con-rod.com.tw/kawasaki-con-rod/RK-5005.html

It certainly has the right part number. Maybe ask the question of them ? It says its for a KH100 though which is a 13044-5015. That number fits a KD80 so this might be an option:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki-G3SS-G4TR-G5-G7-KE100-KM100-KH100-MC1-Rod-Nos-/251214340186?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7d8aa05a

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:35:39 PM by Stevo17 »

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
Thanks for those leads Steve, I have inquired about the aftermarket rod with no response. So the search continues, do you have one of these aircooled 80's? Pity this one is not an 82 onwards, there seems to be a lot more stuff available for those models.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
a guy around here did one up a while ago, and from memory used a easily obtainable later model rod kit (hot rods ?) but had to machine out the crank pin holes to suit the larger diameter later model crank pin. from memory the rod lengths, widths etc were all identical except for the big end diameter, hence the bigger pin. hope this helps!
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:20 PM »
Ok that would be great thing if a machine job allows the use of one of those hotrods kits because they are a dime a dozen. Cheers for the tip.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
I've got a reasonable side cover for one of those - failed to sell it on eBay (admittedly before I figured out what it was from), but haven't been able to bring myself to put it in the recycling.

Send me your postal address if you want it, Jason.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
I have 2 maybe 3 KX80A's, 79/80 models in various states of repair. I may be able to help with some parts.
K

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
Gday, what year is an A2?
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
Thanks for your offers guys,

Nathan I have no side covers, so yes please I would gratefully like the side cover  ;)

Big K, there are a few small discontinued pieces that would help a lot, namely a footbrake torsional return spring (fits in behind the right footpeg braket) A good crank and a barrel that has a gallop left in it would be great. Maybe some other small fittings as well but thats what I can think of at the moment.

Oldyz, my research has the A2 (As far as KX80's go) as a 1980 model and Kawasaki's second model in the KX80 range 1979 A or A1 being the first.

It would seem that KDX80's from1979 through to 1981 share about 80% of the parts with major differences being the barrel/porting configuration and the round tubular swingarm similar to the 1979 KX80 retained for the 1980/81 KDX when the 1980 KX went to box section steel, side covers and few cosmetic items such as stickers and hub colour (silver instead of black). It also looks like the rear shocks are of the cam twist spring retainer (Pre load Adjustment) on the KDX and the reposition clip position style for the KX. The rear shocks on the KDX are silver/chrome and the KX are black.

I have only been researching for a few weeks, so I may be wrong but from pictures on bikepics and images off the web, I am reasonably confident that this is reliable guff.

It would seem the bore size did not change from 79 through to 82 for the KX and 79- 83 for the KDX 80. I am going off the piston part numbers.

The Connecting rod part numbers change after 1980 for the KX and after 1981 for the KDX.

Suzuki311 has offered that the crank pin diameter is the change and that another member has been down the track of reworking the crank halves to accept a readily available rod from the later model as the answer. I propose that an 82 (KDX) onwards crankshaft may also be an option as the Later KDX engines all appear very similar to the Earlier KX engines, in external appearance anyway. I cannot back this up in any way, it is just my hunch.

I am enjoying this project, it has been challenging to find model info and parts as well as the electrofusion bore research. I hope to fix this little grasshopper on a reasonable budget for my 14 Y.O Daughter to ride. I may have a turn as well, since most grown ups still hold a soft spot for a classic mini – who can resist.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
Frog.... throw it all in a box, bring it to work and sell it to me.

;D ;D ;D