Author Topic: 76 250 Pursang  (Read 9507 times)

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
76 250 Pursang
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:52 am »
What can you guys tell me about the Bulls as I know very little but just couldn't pass this one up when I saw it on Mark's swapmeet on
sunday
Rebuilt motor, new pipe, new seat, new mikuni ( i think original was bing )and lots more, needs paint and and elbow grease and a few odds and ends from sitting for a couple years

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 76 250 Pursang
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
If its a Spanish change your hankering for and the price is right, I would grab it Maurice.
I have had a few Bullys, mainly Sherpas, but the one that left the biggest impacts on my mind was the ownership of a 77 Mk-10 Pursang. A close friend still to this day insists it was a MK-9 that I owned. We still disagree about it.

I must admid, it looked very similar to the one you have put up. 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:41 am »
Thanks Mick... I already did buy it just couldn't resist for the price and the amount of new parts on it. Talked to the previous owner for quite awhile and he basically just lost interest in rebuilding it so decided to pass it on to someone else. He said he is mainly into Hodakas and didn't really no much about Bultacos either.
Just wondering what to expect from the Bultacos as I have never had anything to do with them but always liked the looks.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:26 am »
Looks like a Mk9 w Mk10 swingarm - not a bad mod as the MK9 came std w very long betor shocks which weren't great.

They're a very nice bike to ride - beautifully balanced & lovely broad powerband. Perfect wheelie machine, but not the best steering bike of the era (need to get well forward). So easy to come out of corners sideways feet-up on one wheel & click thro the gears in perfect control. Even a novice could do it (I'm not kidding!).

Front forks were plush city - better than anything then, & 38mm dia. Suffered in sales for still having a down-pipe then. Std rear brake provided almost zero retardation, esp w that stupid cable rear. Had gained a bit of weight compared to the flyweight MK7s & 8s. Rear suspension a bit limited by design (low leverage on shocks & sprocket a loooong way from swingarm pivot) for pre78 era. Watch chain wear on top & bottom of swingarm if you try to get more than 7" rear. Front has over 9" standard.

Gear change is long-throw if yr not used to Buls. Contrary to popular hearsay, Buls are stone reliable w simple basic maintenance

Only recently sold mine that I had since new. New owner very happy w it.

Montynut

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:22 am »
The forks look standard and could be 35mm Marzocchi with the aluminium sliders which would make them very early versions. I am not 100% sure but I think the ‘76/’77 Bully came with Betor forks. The Mazocchi forks are still completely legal and much better than the Betor forks. Looks like a great buy. The Pursangs always look right  ;) and all that polished alloy  ;D ;D

Correction - On closer look they are the Betor Forks but have been refinished/polished or similiar either way a great bike.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:39:50 am by Montynut »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:48 am »
Almost certain they're the std 38mm Bul/Betor forks w the black paint removed & then polished. They went back to 35mm betor forks (& smaller front hub) in 77 on Mk10 to save weight, but it was a retrograde step.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:37 am »
 I had a mk9 370 back in the day and still judge anything i ride against that bike ! great power with excellent predictable handling ,and as JC said very reliable when maintained and good to work on ,two mates had mk9 250s and they were great bikes also - good pickup  :)

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »
Looks like a Mk9 w Mk10 swingarm - not a bad mod as the MK9 came std w very long betor shocks which weren't great.

If I remember correctly Bulto dropped the funny shocks fairly early in the production run and offered an aftermarket s/arm for bikes fitted with the wierd shocks. So its possible that is a standard s/arm.

Anyway, this is what it would have looked like in its prime:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:07:08 pm by TooFastTim »

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:37 pm »
The swingarm on Maurice's bike looks to be from a Mk9 Frontera (the tab on top to locate the chain guard).The Mk 9 frontera had the same swing arm as the Mk 8 Pursang.
 I have several of these bikes and they all have the same MK9 swingarm as per TFT's picture.
What the factory did was make an upgrade kit (warranty)to remove the full floating rear brake which if not set up or maintained would crack/destroy the rear brake plate/hub. It involved welding a new tab to the swingarm and solid mounting the rear brake torque arm.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:52:09 pm »
 :)I had a street registered Mk9 250 Pursang, courtesy of the great Jack Davies of Frasers Homebush,
A set of Yamaha wheels and it even had brakes quite rare on Bultacos of the day, lucky I had an old head thanks to TC Dave Morris.
once Dave set up your Bultaco it actually worked,

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »
The swingarm on Maurice's bike looks to be from a Mk9 Frontera (the tab on top to locate the chain guard).The Mk 9 frontera had the same swing arm as the Mk 8 Pursang.
 I have several of these bikes and they all have the same MK9 swingarm as per TFT's picture.
What the factory did was make an upgrade kit (warranty)to remove the full floating rear brake which if not set up or maintained would crack/destroy the rear brake plate/hub. It involved welding a new tab to the swingarm and solid mounting the rear brake torque arm.

I stand corrected but I'm pleased that I remembered there was a recall of sorts.  ;D

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 05:30:43 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, I had seen that picture but never noticed the lower shock mount position.
It may have a 125 swingarm on it as I see that is where the shocks mount on them but haven't found a picture of the other side to see the
chainguard mount that  Moto is talking about. I was asking about the Mk9 & Mk10 heads in my other thread because supposedly he had the extra plug hole welded but it has a pinhole leak in the weld and there was a MK10 head on ebay for $30.
All of the pics I have seen of a MK9 only have 1 plug though so I really don't know.
I should be receiving the bike late next week so I will have to check at that time

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 07:41:48 pm »
Maurice, the tab for the chainguard is on your swingarm just below the left hand number sidecover in your photo .If your bike is a 250 it should have a single plug head. The twin plug head is a 370.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:28 am »
Maurice's bike also has the shorter rear frame loop (behind the seat) like the MK10

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »
Your right on that one John,maybe its a 180/181 Frontera frame?I doesn't have the Mk 10 pursang front engine mounts.