Author Topic: Who does your cranks ?  (Read 1530 times)

Honda Hoarder

Who does your cranks ?
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:57:27 pm »
Hey guys who do you use to fit new rod kits to your old cranks. I need a few done for CR 500's so they have the dreaded tin covers. Thanks

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Who does your cranks ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:35:17 am »
What state are you in mate?
 :)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
Hey guys who do you use to fit new rod kits to your old cranks. I need a few done for CR 500's so they have the dreaded tin covers. Thanks

Nobody better or cheaper than Graham tin covers are no problems

http://crankshaftrebuildingservices.com.au/
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:24:10 am »
Make sure you use someone that has correct tooling and setup for them HH as i learnt the hard way, it cost me a 2nd full rebuild (had to replace crankcases, piston, cylinder, head, rod and crank all munched up and not repairable)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Honda Hoarder

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:53 am »
Thanks guys. QLD

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
Gosh, Graham Selwood for crank rebuilds. lost track of him more than 30 years ago. Worked for us for a while & was just a great guy to work with. Used to have a small shop in town at one stage back then too & as the pics will hopefully show [if readable] he loaned me a new 400cz for a few meetings till it got sold. Loved that bike too even if outdated by then [1977 by the looks], was good on the grassy muddy tt in the pics. Can't remember why the bonnets up on my EIP, probably pinched a plug for the cz haha or blew a radiator hose wheel spinning into the paddock in the mud--as you do. As it says, the swinging arm bolt came out [my fault no doubt for not checking things [think had a double nut shaft too]. What happened is it slid out till it got in front of the brake pedal bit & [look mum no brakes] on full song beside the hot shot on his RM370, not sure who got the biggest fright--him or me--as i flashed past under 'no brakes' & off into the boonies thinking f@#$%k that was lucky. Miss that bike nowdays with vmx of course, & when new were bullet proof & reliable. Anyway--crank rebuilds. Made up a band to go around our honda RS125 roadracer many years ago as freaked when i saw the tin plates. Did work in the once i used it to spread the load when giving a pat to true up but not ideal. One pic for a laugh is of my [desperate measures] press i use occasionally but have a strong old vice that squeezes them up ok [yamaha wheels mostly]. Suppose we all have our own ways of doing things but one guy at work used to have a heavy long bit of flat steel between press & wheel so he could move it a bit while pressing up to get it pretty close with a straight edge & leaving not too much truing up to be done [ie, beating shit out of the wheels].