Author Topic: Original HL500  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Original HL500
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:58:44 am »
I've always wanted an HL, but I prefer the models with less suspension travel.  I would like to reproduce this original HL500 someday.  ;D

Looking at this photo and an article I have I think it can be done.  I have a nice '76 Husky 360 frame and can get the XT/TT500 motor.  I need help figuring out the other pieces.  I'm assuming '76 Yamaha YZ250/400 wheels, seat, fenders and YZ125 tank.  It looks like it ran 35mm Marzocchi forks and Bilstein shocks.  The frame changes would be engine mounts, box tube oil tank and swingarm with shock mount and brake stay modifications.

Am I missing anything?  I'm not sure about all the frame mods (under the seat) and the air-box.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:01:24 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Original HL500
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:39:43 am »
I too have all the bits to build an original Replica,
I have been thinking of getting GMC to do it,
I thought I would wait till he finished his current project,
Which is almost done,

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:45:29 am »
plus various fitting and fixtures to block off the top frame tube and allow for oil filler, oil level, oil pickup and oil drain from the tank. Quite a lot of fabrication and welding involved as you need straight top frame tube to sit the YZ125C tank on. Ola used recycled 36mm for leg as top tube which I thought was genius.

Swingarm needs to have gap in the middle for the oil tank to pass through. Often wondered why they went for such a complicated oil tank, finally I guess there is not a lot of room about the motor for external oil tanks.

Love the exhaust on the original, they soion discovered putting it over the top of the shock may not have been a good idea.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:57 am »
I like the way the original bike uses Husky air filter set up. Biggest pain in the ass an any special is getting decent airbox beyon the K&N filter hanging in the breeze and routing the pipe.

GMC frame, pipe and airbox is awesome starting point as there is enough work in assembling one let alone scratch building it.
formerly Marc.com

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:57 am »
I have an Original Torsten Hallman Aberg Replica that I have had since 1979, a perfect template for this job,
I saved a Husky frame, a YZ X Tank, robbed some Magnesium Marzocchi Forks from a VB Monti and a big valved SR engine ready to do this same project, I wasn't going to use Bilsteins but saved a set of long Fox Airs to make a second version,
Thinking about it an Original would be better,
Thanks Tahiti,

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
My mate Chris Ellis built one up to 75% stage using a 76 Husky frame, YZ250D forks, Ohlins shocks  and other junk shop stuff. The project stopped when he bought a GMC frame so now that he's moved to Adelaide he's building both bikes for his two sons to race. Both bikes will be works of art as he's a meticulous builder.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:47:43 am »
 Is that a picture of a Husky frame or a Profab?
 The NVT frames weren't rated by Hallman. There was a guy at the show last weekend looking over a modern copy, said he had an original 2nd year run NVT HL,
 said it was tall and short, that it yawed as a result of that and a steep swingarm angle, and that it pushed the front end on corners. On top of the poor handling his frame had repeatedly cracked  close to the swingarm pivot. It was an iconic bike so he'd kept it original, he just didn't think, all things considered, it was a good bike.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Is that a picture of a Husky frame or a Profab?
 The NVT frames weren't rated by Hallman. There was a guy at the show last weekend looking over a modern copy, said he had an original 2nd year run NVT HL,
 said it was tall and short, that it yawed as a result of that and a steep swingarm angle, and that it pushed the front end on corners. On top of the poor handling his frame had repeatedly cracked  close to the swingarm pivot. It was an iconic bike so he'd kept it original, he just didn't think, all things considered, it was a good bike.

That’s a picture of the original modified Husky Frame.
I have a magazine article here somewhere on that bike and you can see the unpainted welded mods to the Husky frame.

Often wondered if Hallman didn’t like the NVT frames because they basically back doored his ‘baby’

The NVT frames were also notorious for cracking around the swingarm pivot in the box section.
I think they viewed it as just an oil tank but as the swingarm pivot went through the oil tank it became a major structural member of the frame. I had heard of this before I started building mine.
The originals box sections were made from 1.5mm steel and I suspect it was just ordinary mild steel sheet so that’s why I have built all the box sections in my frames from 2mm 4130
Haven’t heard of any cracking in the box section in my frames.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »
Geoff are your frames a copy of the NVT or Profab or have you done both?

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:22:26 pm »
My Yamaha frames are a copy of the NVT  frames.
My recently finished Suzuki DR 400 frame is a copy of the Hallman Profab.
There is very little between the NVT & Profab frames.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »
plus various fitting and fixtures to block off the top frame tube and allow for oil filler, oil level, oil pickup and oil drain from the tank. Quite a lot of fabrication and welding involved as you need straight top frame tube to sit the YZ125C tank on. Ola used recycled 36mm for leg as top tube which I thought was genius.

Not 36, it was either 43 or 45mm, can't remember.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:35:03 pm »
I you use the 76 style huskyframe with single backbone for the old-style replica, I think it would be easier to do, I used the 80 model double backbone..

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:02 am »
I originally built my "Aberg Replica" in 1980/81 using the frame of my 1978 390 AMX.

This picture id from 1981 just after I built it and before it first race.

The front end is YZ465G that I bought new for the project as the std 35mm front forks flexed quite a bit, the fox shox were what I had been using while I raced it prior to the conversion from Auto to the SR500 engine.

So I didn't have to make any permenant modifications to the frame I made an oil tank from steel sheet, with the intention of making an alloy one if it worked ok, however, I never got around to making the alloy tank.

It was resurected for CD2 with a TT500 engine and YZ125 tank fitted;

A couple of years ago, I removed the 500 Yamaha engine and refitted the original Husky engine and forks etc. I do have a 1978 CR250 Husky frame that I intend to rebuild it on once I clear some of the other projects that I am working on. When I do eventually rebuild it in the 1978 CR frame, I will build it up on shorter (10") suspension, mainly because I and getting to old and decrepid to climb up onto real tall bikes, and because I don't like the look of the ultra tall modern replica that seem to abound now days.

CJ
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:51:12 am by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »
So, do you think they finished a 45 min moto without refueling that YZ125 tank?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen