Author Topic: This place looks interesting  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
This place looks interesting
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »
Hi all, I was put onto this forum by a mate in Geelong and I like what I see! Seems like a top bunch of blokes and blokettes  ::) get on here and love how busy it is, always something new! I'm 54 and from Geelong way.
Only ever been on one other forum, a local one (but gave it a bashin for a while) then it went stale a while back.  I like all the banter on here and some of the characters make me laugh, after watching for a few weeks I'm a bit familiar with who is who ;) but I dont like to judge anyone 'cause it's all too easy to end up on the wrong side of criticism.

I'm not what you'd call a true VMXer even though I started racing in the early seventies and kept it up all the way through in various forms and disciplines. After juniors my first full size MX bikes were all single shock (KX250 unitrack and RM250X floater) so I lean toward the more modern bikes (whoops may have lost a few friends already!) but on the flip side I reckon some of the early two strokes are the ants pants (AJS, Bulties, Monties, Ossa etc) probably because they were part of some of my first experiences. As a kid watching and smelling the bikes at places like Mortlake and Barrabool must of stuck!
In between racing, most those years I've been involved with helping running the sport (locally) and I reckon I might know a few of the guys on here behind those forum names! Last ten years or so I've been pretty heavily wrapped up in saving our local track. 

I've had a good go at MX, Enduro, Hillclimbs and Trials. Each of them a lot of fun, then once I got a bit over the hill, about 40ish, I decided I wanted the bike of my dreams: the perfect all rounder - but couldn't find it - so I built it.  It's a Suzuki, I call it the RE 405. Sort of half old / half new. I wanted the best of everything - handling, ergos, brakes, suspension, grunt, simplicity, light weight, registerable ??? and more. Its not a resto, just an experimental project bike , I like to build stuff that no-one else has.  Some of the craftsmanship I see on here puts my efforts to shame, and I'm sure that I might lose a few forum friends before I start when I get to post up some pictures  :o (have yet to set up picture uploads).

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you guys and learning a whole more stuff that I didn't know (before I came here)

Cheers, Peter Ovens

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: This place looks interesting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »
Welcome Peter,

Believe 1/2 of what you see and 1/4 of what you read and you will enjoy this site.   :)

Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:10 pm »
Welcome Peter,

Believe 1/2 of what you see and 1/4 of what you read and you will enjoy this site.   :)

Brett

so going by the above statement then.................

you will enjoy this site

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »
Welcome peter ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:13:21 pm »
Welcome Peter,
Believe 1/2 of what you see and 1/4 of what you read and you will enjoy this site.   :)
Brett

Welcome ~~ Believe it all  ;D   AJS good choice  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:28 pm »
G'day pete  :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:27 pm »
Welcome. You have found the right forum. We do though like to see lots of pictures  ;)
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:24 pm »
Welcome Peter , using your real name is a good sign of things to com. I think we have met before .
Thanks Wasp and everyone. No doubt I'll get reacquainted with some old faces in future.
(hope this quote link works, just sussing out all the fancy buttons/settings)

Checked out photobucket. I'll try my hand tomorrow hopefully.   

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:25:40 pm »
Welcome aboard Pete..

Rob.
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:13 pm »
Would love to see some photos of your suzuki RE I am building a PE400 with cr250 1984 front end but still maintaining a period look but doing a few mods on motor ignition etc going to get it registered after it is finished. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Viper65

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 01:30:53 pm »
Welcome Peter from Steve and Jo at Scooter News!  We've only been on here a couple of years but always find interesting things to read about and some great bikes to look at but we've never seen an RE 405.  Can't wait to see it, maybe even run a photo in Scooter News...

You guys at Barrabool have got us into trials now and we're off to Three Bridges on Sunday with two Gas Gas trials bike, maybe see some of you there?

Cheers
Steve
Suzuki RM370B, RM400C, RM400N, RM250D, RM250K, PE250 (82), KTM 250GS (81), KTM350GS (88), XR600 x 2, RMZ450 x 2 (07 and 012), KTM250 EXC, Gas Gas 125 (08), Gas Gas 250 (10) Trials & TTR125 and XR80 (82)
Author of Scooter News

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »
Welcome from another Geelong person. Peter your name sounds very familiar I reckon we've met before. Cheers Andrew Lauder
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »
Thanks everyone. Quite a few familiar names I see already!

I think I have photobucket worked out. Were's the best place to post pics of my beloved?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:47 pm »
Were's the best place to post pics of my beloved?

In the yellow pages !!   ;D
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?board=11.0
Best is in the West !!