Author Topic: My Rat Bike, or mouse power as one pic will explain. RMX250.  (Read 2282 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
My Rat Bike, or mouse power as one pic will explain. RMX250.
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:17:30 pm »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My Rat Bike, or mouse power as one pic will explain. RMX250.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
From the looks, it's been on fire at some stage.

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:32 pm »
From the looks, it's been on fire at some stage.

Next on Mastermind is oldfart and his special subject is the bleeding obvious!  :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry mate......  :-*

So what happened to it?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »
Not strictly vintage sorry but thought ya might get a laugh, [on me]. Long story, but rescued the RMX [take it or it's going to the dump]. Have another cheapy i got as a basket case a few years ago & re-assembled with a new [neat looking] Namura Piston Kit & she goes like hell. But this one, obviously burnt, had the top off & no powervalves so blanked off the holes with some ally bar, short enough so ex/port is wide open. Was given a free [old stock] early RM250 piston kit [so the box said], shrouded the transfer lead in a bit at bottom of cylinder. But she goes like a cut cat & despite no power valves it's nice & tractable [long stroke might help as under square 67x umm 70.6 i think, revs to oblivion & strongly but doesn't come on rediculously sharp like you'd think. Used a a better front wheel purely because the disc was bowed badly & too lazy to swap over. Throttle control is probably XT400/550 i had, made up cables from a starting point of a bunch of new chinese scooter cables i have which are great but seeing as the xt control is push pull i fitted the end of a cable in the other side so the control gear thing came around to stop against it. Too much to tell, but melted tank had gone into the crancase, bloody tough plastic to remove as had formed around cylinder mount studs & conrod etc [lots of careful hacksawing], put water blaster down the bottom & spun over till i was happy but was still binding at one point which [thought in crankcase] turned out to be someone had araldited a damaged mag flywheel magnet into place & the araldite itself was rubbing every lap. Mag was a terrible mess [i mean terrible, rust-you name it], but put out peak voltage ok so rewired to the box & [yay] spark, started second kick & sounded good for a second & then went "constipated" just as wife came into the shed & squealed "mice"--[not kidding], took a bit of flushing & waterblasting back & forth to get a [herd of mice--long dead i might add] out. Ran great after that. Of course i had to pull endless wheelies up the side of our road didn't i [silly old fool] Cheers.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »
Hi, been writing the story, up there now. jeez that took me ages [tea time]. Cheers.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:13:33 pm »
meant to add, it never cost a red cent to get to this stage [usable--but still worth nothing haha], never knew they were such neat bikes to ride.

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
That's excellent!  ;D
Love a story like that. Bloody amazing what you can do to stuff and it still runs.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:06 am »
RMX's have a habit of shearing the flywheel key. How did you go getting the WOF?  ;D Love it.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:47 am »
Awesome.
 :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Oppet

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:29 am »
Nice  :D now go dent that pipe

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:26:41 am »
Who said VMX cant be cheap?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:43 am »
Just in reply to a couple of posters, flywheels done up super tight held with a rigid holding tool, i'm sure i removed the lighting coil as was that coil that the araldite slight build up was touching so [no wof haha]. Pipe looked like that--not sure if it's paint or powdercoat but what you 'can't see around the front is repaired & bit rusty. Have a brand new pipe & muffler i bought off ebay for my other RMX but still hanging up & not needed. Actually i think the muffler for that is on my Yamy RT1 Rat Bike at the mo, [pic up here somewhere]. Thanks for your comments.
ps, the the new pipe/muffler was a real bargain from ebay usa a couple of years ago. Think it was only $100 & something like $20 shipping [real slow boat though as no hurry], might re-check that as does sound too cheap doesn't it. But doubt if you'd find a deal like that any more.