Author Topic: Purple Dave's SC 500 Project  (Read 38585 times)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Dave's SC 500 Project
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
When it comes to electrics, I'm in the dark..........could I use this CDI from Jaycar Electronics ?
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jaycar.com.au%2FproductView.asp%3FID%3DKC5466&ei=QqoQUfX0L46XiAfnjYGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNFuy9vAoe6v-zrwbtKrWwmNJScEZA&sig2=rxvATp_SpLNoH02SKg3w0w
After reading this post I went and bought one of those jaycar kits, out of curiosity just to see if it worked. For $21 I figured be worth a try. Pretty straight forward to build, took a couple of hours of fumbling around.
So off to the shed after work today and wired it to the IT. Had the plug out and got a decent looking spark, so put the plug back in and after a few kicks it fired up. Have yet to have a ride to see what happens as the kit doesn't have any advance/retard control, but nevertheless I'm impressed that it actually worked.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
Nice work.  The curiosity was killing me too  ;D ;D
I wonder how it will ride  :-\
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
Interesting electronic system allright , I am to waiting to see how it runs and lasts.
For $21 bucks you could keep a spare in your back pocket on rides ;)

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
i need one for my IT400D so i can sell it .just needs sparks .off to jaycar .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »
Mrs Purple ( Mia ) and I just returned today from The Australian Blues Festival in Goulburn, NSW.........I am VERY interested to hear if the Jaycar electrics work under hard running conditions......keep me posted. ???
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »
Mrs Purple ( Mia ) and I just returned today from The Australian Blues Festival in Goulburn, NSW
I was at that very same Blues Festival Purple Dave.....a bit quiet this year but still great. Mississippi Shakedowns gig in the Hibernian Pub on Friday night was my highlight, Jeff Lang at the Workers Club on Saturday night the lowlight.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 07:32:04 am »
Small world Firko.........highlight for me was Blue Eyes Cry at our hotel, The Astor, plus Cisco Caesar and Doc White......I've given up going to the Workers......always disappointing.....bands, in general this year were very good....we missed last year.
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:33 am »
Blue Eyes Cry, we saw them playing in the bandstand in the park on Saturday morning, pretty good young band, great little singer. Dreamboogie opened for Jeff Lang at the Workers and quite frankly wrecked it for him, they were so good.   http://www.dreamboogie.com/about.html.
The lead singer is a dead set hotty who steals the stage with her big personality, big blues voice and amazing looks.Yeah I think we've done our dash at the Workers too, the Backsliders were brilliant there a couple of years ago but it's a big, soulless room. I'd much rather be upstairs at the Astor. We saw a great little jazz trio called the Dubious Band in the front bar of the Empire on Saturday arvo too, they played a lot of Frank Zappa/Miles Davis influenced stuff playing for tips and a few free beers, basically indoor busking. We pooled in and tipped 'em $50 and bought them a round of Fat Yaks and I thought they'd cry. I think the Windsor Blues Festival has caught and passed Goulburn as far as quality and atmosphere but we'll still go to both.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »
When it comes to electrics, I'm in the dark..........could I use this CDI from Jaycar Electronics ?
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jaycar.com.au%2FproductView.asp%3FID%3DKC5466&ei=QqoQUfX0L46XiAfnjYGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNFuy9vAoe6v-zrwbtKrWwmNJScEZA&sig2=rxvATp_SpLNoH02SKg3w0w
After reading this post I went and bought one of those jaycar kits, out of curiosity just to see if it worked. For $21 I figured be worth a try. Pretty straight forward to build, took a couple of hours of fumbling around.
So off to the shed after work today and wired it to the IT. Had the plug out and got a decent looking spark, so put the plug back in and after a few kicks it fired up. Have yet to have a ride to see what happens as the kit doesn't have any advance/retard control, but nevertheless I'm impressed that it actually worked.

Just check you don't have a stepped core on the trigger coil and run a timing light to confirm what the timing is doing.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »
Stumbled across this place in my travels.

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Categories/CDI_Units/Yamaha

Could be the go  :-\  A bit over $100 (?)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »

Just check you don't have a stepped core on the trigger coil and run a timing light to confirm what the timing is doing.
[/quote]

Trigger core doesn't have any noticeable step. BTW There are 2 source coils, the Jaycar unit is only connected to the larger one. I'm not even sure what the smaller coil on top of the larger one actually does, maybe something to do with advancing the timing?
Hopefully will give it a run over the weekend. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:53:41 pm by vmxrider »

Curly3

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »
Use the KISS principle Dave, don't go too exotic.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »
Timing light will tell what it's doing, Wouldn't be trusting that JayCar box to do what it should, the Silcone Chip instructions show its looking to increase advance with rpm increase. Rex's stuff looks like a much safer option.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
Timing light will tell what it's doing, Wouldn't be trusting that JayCar box to do what it should, the Silcone Chip instructions show its looking to increase advance with rpm increase. Rex's stuff looks like a much safer option.
Took the IT for a few laps around the block, ran mostly as it should except missed slightly at higher revs (might have still been warming up/ clearing out/old fuel tho'). Will have to get hold of a timing light to see if the timing changes with the revs.
The Silicon Chip article does say no RPM advance? but to trained electronics nuts the actual circuit might tell a different story.

As an aside, the biggest problem for me, and I'm sure many others, is nowhere to go for a decent test run. With Menai (NSW) only a stones throw away, it was just too easy, but since we gave away (or gave back?) that land to the Aborigines to build a mega housing estate, and the Feds patrolling ANSTO land, looks like a trip to Appin Or Kembla are the only close legal options.