Author Topic: Intro by pipes  (Read 3561 times)

Pipes

Intro by pipes
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »

Good Afternoon..

My name is kevin.  I would like to join your forum for a number of reasons. 

I grew up in Kingsgrove, frequenting the Brick Pits in Garema circuit, Kingsgrove, in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  I have many memories of that place, but, rather than go off on a tangent about my youth, I woul like to provide you with some details about why I would like to join.

My best mate of 46 years, Graeme Barwick, was Mr. Motocross in 1971, and his father, Ray, had his services engaged by VICTA to develop the VICTA racing engine.  Graeme still has the original engine and the blueprints for it.  He is currently in the USA competing in the WOrld Vintage Go Kart racing championships.

Graeme's father, Ray, introduced into Australia, one of the very first mini bikes, and owned the Bike Shop in Wollongong Road, Arncilffe.  Ray was the founder of the Illawarra Mini Bike Club which started in the Brick Pits at Kingsgrove, then moved out to Menai.

Cheers

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Intro by pipes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
Welcome Pipes, interesting background and it sounds like you have great Mates.      What's with the moniker, do you make  aftermarket Pipes ?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum Pipes. There's plenty of mini bike blokes on here and even the odd Victa user.
My best mate of 46 years, Graeme Barwick, was Mr. Motocross in 1971
The above quote has me a bit weirded out as Mr Motocross didn't start until 1974. Perhaps it was some other motocross series Graeme Barwick won ???  I googled Graeme and found him to be a mover and shaker in the vintage karting scene and his 175cc Maico powered Dart kart extremely interesting as I'm currently into oval barreled Maicos. I've posted the photos here for other Maico folks to see.
                    http://www.vintagekart.4t.com/photo_60.html

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:21:37 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:45:16 pm »
Welcome pipes, here's a photo of the brickpits I pinched from the Illawarra minibike club facebook page. Great place smack in the middle of suburbia. I'm sure there's a few other forum members who rode there as kids.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:20:03 pm by vmxrider »

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
Hi - also a member of the Illawarra Club and rode at Kingsgrove brick pits.  I was also a very frequent visitor to ray's shop in Wollongong Rd, used to drop in there after school.

Ken

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
I rode there but only a few times around 72 - 74, even though I went to Kingsgrove Nth High and played my junior footy for Lakemba and our home ground was Clemton Park, both are just a stones throw away.
We were off to open race meetings, club events with BWP or bush bashing just about every weekend.
Great photo.
Oh yeah, welcome Mr Pipes.

Pipes

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:12:48 am »
Welcome to the forum Pipes. There's plenty of mini bike blokes on here and even the odd Victa user.
My best mate of 46 years, Graeme Barwick, was Mr. Motocross in 1971
The above quote has me a bit weirded out as Mr Motocross didn't start until 1974. Perhaps it was some other motocross series Graeme Barwick won ???  I googled Graeme and found him to be a mover and shaker in the vintage karting scene and his 175cc Maico powered Dart kart extremely interesting as I'm currently into oval barreled Maicos. I've posted the photos here for other Maico folks to see.

Thanks for the posts.  I may be mistaken about the year 1971.  Graeme is currently over in the USA competing in the vintage go kart championships.  He returns next week and I am calling in to see how he went.  He is tidying up my grandsons pee wee 50, so when I pick it up I will let him know about this site, and try to get him organised to become a,member also.  Cheers.