Author Topic: chinese Metisse frames  (Read 9684 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: chinese Metisse frames
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:13 am »
I don't know about Chinese stuff being good.
Having worked on Chinese Quads/Thumpsters and those poxy push bike engines I rekon that the safest place to be in WW3 would be anywhere but China , if they have used the same quality control on their nukes.

I couldn't agree more, I'm yet to see anything motorcycle related made by the Chinese that is good quality. I've worked on many and they're all cheaply made with low grade metal and nowhere near the standard of the Japanese.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
I don't know about Chinese stuff being good.
Having worked on Chinese Quads/Thumpsters and those poxy push bike engines I rekon that the safest place to be in WW3 would be anywhere but China , if they have used the same quality control on their nukes.

I couldn't agree more, I'm yet to see anything motorcycle related made by the Chinese that is good quality. I've worked on many and they're all cheaply made with low grade metal and nowhere near the standard of the Japanese.
Dont think that is the best they can do you clowns. Those quads and minis are made to order at a price. Most of the good stuff in jap cars and bikes has been out sourced to china for years and alot of Harley and Triumph too most likely
And dont think you will win a war against them for exactly the same reason.

Montynut

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:38 am »
The Chinese will build to whatever price/standard you request.

The BMW range of 650 singles has been assembled in Chine since '09 and probably completely made there by now (under licence to ROTAX)

China now has some of the worlds larges and most advanced machining facilities

The Chinese have been leading the world in commisioning large coal fired generating unit which are large than the largest units in Australia for well over a decade. At one point commissioning a generating unit every two weeks or so. NSW's last large (>500MW) generating unit was commissioned in the '80s!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:57:56 am by Montynut »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:06:49 am »
if they have used the same quality control on their nukes.

Read the disclamer before you gob on.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:20 am »
This old China v Quality discussion pops up from time to time and I'll agree and disagree with most of the arguments. The complete bikes and quads are a little short on the quality but they're getting better. We've got one of those three quarter sized 115cc quads down on the farm and in the 7 or 8 years we've had it it's been pretty unbreakable, the only problems being the odd broken cable and bent rims. The motor still has its original spark plug. The aftermarket stuff available for pitbikes is in many cases good stuff. I've mentioned the stainless steel fatty footpegs before..... the pegs we pay $100+ for at the respectable motorcycle retail outlets are the exact same items that come from the exact same factories as the elCheapo pit bike items sold on eBay for under $30. A good mate of mine has been to the factory in Chengdu and seen the pegs going into name brand packaging for the Western market. Don't get sucked in by fancy "made in USA" packaging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Foot-Pegs-for-Honda-CRF-50-70-90-pit-dirt-bike-CRF-50-70-90-/160955402962?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2579b08ad2

I'm a bit of a throttle junkie...I've got Magura (3 different types) Gunnar Gasser (the real ones, not the Chines copies), Doherty, Amal and more but the best quality throttle I've ever seen are the billet aluminium ones sold on eBay for $30 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Color-CNC-THROTTLE-CLAMP-for-7-8-CRF-50-XR50-PIT-DIRT-BIKE-CRF-70-1-4-turn-/150976825047?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2326eb86d7

Every part bar the see through top is made of billet alloy and runs on ball bearings. I've got them on my IT250, Sherco and both flat trackers. I'd have 'em on my vintage motocrossers too but they look a tad too modern/bling for pre 75. I also use the chain guides shown below. They're as cheap as chips and are pretty good quality. A mate's had one on his (reasonably)modern bike for 3 years and over Christmas I noticed it still  there in good working nick .

Sure, the "Cholins" Ohlins copy shocks are crap but why not use 'em for dirt track. There was a set of base model Gazi shocks on the DT1 I got from Nathan and he reckoned they were fine, if a little short on travel. They're made in China folks. The point I'm making is that disregarding a part simply because it's made in China can cost you money. I build a lot of bikes on a self funded retiree budget and if I didn't dig out these bargains from Asia my builds would cost appreciably more. Don't overlook seat covers and handlebars from Thailand, Handlebars and all sorts off goodies from the Royal Enfield factory in India and other left field sellers in faraway lands.                             
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:53 am »
Anything in big numbers will be Chinese . Part of it is low wages
A bit like Thailand eh Walter ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 01:08:40 pm »
Unless you call Thailand "China" Mark, GAZI are made entirely in Thailand as are YSS I beleive though they both/all may source seals etc... from the mainland.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »
The Chinese have painted themselves into the same corner as the Koreans did in the late 90s, high company debt, low sales price in comparison to the cost of producing a quality product. The market is demanding better products of the Chinese, labour costs are increasing but once you penetrate the market at a low price level it is hard to drive it back up.

I sell a bunch of Chinese products at the moment that are way above the pit bikes, quads etc that flooded in 10 years ago in quality. As mentioned by Firko, I wouldn't judge the Chinese productrs by those that were produced as glorified toys, have a look on Alibaba.com to see what is really available in high tech electronuic and industrial products.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:33 pm »
I have engineering gear made in Taiwan and it's pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:23:13 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »
Dont think that is the best they can do you clowns. Those quads and minis are made to order at a price. Most of the good stuff in jap cars and bikes has been out sourced to china for years and alot of Harley and Triumph too most likely
And dont think you will win a war against them for exactly the same reason.
I'm not talking about the junksters and quads.. While working at Husqvarna in 2009 we had the exhausts and head stay brackets on the CR125's break all the time in the first couple of rides on pretty much every 125 sold, it was a warranty nightmare. Where were those parts made? China!!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »
I think the material was the problem, the bike was the same as the year before and had no problems until outsourcing the making of certain parts to a different country.

Curly3

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
Not trying to crearte an argument and concern for a fellow forum member.
Stop it, my sides are starting to hurt.

Curly3

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »
It's been politely pointed out to me that my provoking of you isn't in the best interests of the forum and the majority of good people who use it so I heaby apologise and will from now on resist the urge to stand up for what I believe is right, even though Freedom is being able to say what others don't like.
Anyway you're doing a good enough job on your own of proving your character type, you really don't need my help.
Back to the topic, if these frames surface I'm still interested.

TM BILL

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:44 pm »
EML you are right! Look at Korea the Hyunai and Kia are coming on very fast

Hell yes they just about keep us in business  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Zakk

• B-Grade
  • rAdelaide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »
so long as there's a westerner, Japanese or Taiwanese boss standing and watching over their shoulders, the Chinese can build quality products. but turn your back for 10 minutes and the Chinese will be shovelling sand into the plastic injection moulds and melamine into the baby powder  ::)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/southkorea/9250438/Pills-filled-with-powdered-human-baby-flesh-found-by-customs-officials.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:41:35 pm by Zakk »