Author Topic: Australasian Safari  (Read 4386 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Australasian Safari
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »
I would go for sure if it went for one day and finished at a nice enough pub.....oh, and if the paid me to turn up :D :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:10 pm »
How many people on the forum own a pre 1990 bike suitable for such a race, be it standard or ex safari bike, that would be interested in doing the safari if the orgainisers added a pre 1990 moto class?

Just expressions of interest for all entrance at the moment.

A friend did it for his 50th a couple of years ago with his wife and kids as back up,long days for all.
He stopped counting at $20k
Costing cutting by at least 2/4 half  ;D if living in the same state, as say the Transmoto 12hr.
cheers A
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:10:40 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:40 am »
It's OK I have friends over in the west that'll help out-wont you :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:19:30 pm »
Date: 26-Feb-2013

MOTO riders with a love of yesteryear’s bikes will compete to win the new Safari Pre-1985 Challenge Award, at Asian Pacific’s toughest motorsport event - the Australasian Safari.

Event Director Justin Hunt said the award, new for 2013, was added in response to the growing popularity of older bikes in motorsport.

“We’ve already received plenty of support and enthusiasm from the Safari community for this award. It will no doubt bring nostalgia to entrants who’ve been competing in Safari since the first event in 1985,” said Mr Hunt. 

Eligible entrants can look forward to riding alongside the likes of adventurer Neil Grime. Neil will be riding a 1983 BMW R65 from the workshop of Australian BMW bike modifier Paul Rooney, the same bike that USA-based Jason Adams won the Andy Caldecott ‘Spirit of Safari’ Award on in 2012.

Reflecting on his love of the older bikes, Mr Grimes said that he was drawn to them because of their character.

“The new machines seem to have lost their soul. They go crazy fast, have amazingly complicated and excellent engineering but just don’t rock my boat. I like my motorcycles like my good mates - reliable, straight to the point and with loads of character.”

Mr Grimes was excited about the invitation from Paul Rooney to ride one of his ‘built for Safari’ BMW bikes in the 2013 event.

“Mr. Rooney is an extremely skilled artisan and a legend in quality. Keeping the golden fire burning, his passion for his Bavarian racing fleet is inspirational and infectious.”

The Safari Pre-1985 Challenge Award is open to all competitors riding a bike built before December 1985. Competitors will need to provide proof of the build date of their bike to be eligible.

The Australasian Safari will commence with a Ceremonial Start on Friday 20 September. Competitors will cross the finish line after seven tough days in the Western Australian outback on Friday 27 September.

Entries to the event will close on Friday August 23, 2013. Entry forms can be found on the Competitor page of the Safari website.

Best is in the West !!

Tony T

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 08:25:55 pm »
Bit wierd as the first Safari wasn't until 1985......

I've probably just got the shits up cos I sent my ideas through and even offered sponsorship and never even got a reply from them..........  ::)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:29:29 pm »
I've probably just got the shits up cos I sent my ideas through and even offered sponsorship and never even got a reply from them..........  ::)

who sings "from little things, big things grow"...........Paul Kelly   :)

Are you saying I've got a little "thing".......  ???
Fair enough......  :D :D :D

Not at all Tony ~~ it was your idea,its called "Silent Legend"

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:37:20 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Tony T

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »
Are you saying I've got a little "thing".......  ???

Fair enough......  :D :D :D

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:25 am »
I have just sent an email to the Organisers with some questions regarding bike modifications, registration requirements and course details. I will post as soon as I get a response.

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »
I spoke with the organisers today regarding the Pre 85 class regulations. They are still in the process of finalising the regs but have indicated that to be eligible the bikes should only carry modifications that are consistent with that period. For instance, fork and brake upgrades should be from a pre 85 bike not from a current bike. The allowable mods will be more directed at ensuring safety and comfort. Event motorcycle road registration is available, however all the sup reg requirements will need to be complied with (lights, silencing etc). Also the pre 85 class will follow the exact route of the other moto divisions, however some allowances made be put through. They are still sorting out most the issues but should have them finalised within 2 to 4 weeks. Still sounds interesting.