Author Topic: Australasian Safari  (Read 4388 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Australasian Safari
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:38 am »
off facebook page ~~~Safari organisers are considering doing a blast from the past with a Pre 1980s Moto category! We would like to know if there is enough interest. Help us out - "like" if you are a fan and would like to see this category, "comment" if you are a competitor and would be interested.

http://www.australasiansafari.com.au/website/home.html
Best is in the West !!

Tony T

Re: Australasian Safari
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:34 am »
My personal opinion is that a Pre 80 class might struggle to get numbers.
That said, I absolutely love the idea of a historic class of some sort and Ray Ryan and I even started planning an entry on a 510 Husky just before we sadly lost him.
There has been talk over the years of introducing a class for some of the older bikes that have had a history in the event, but being that the first Safari was in 1985, it doesn't really gel with the Pre 80 theme.
And although there was lots of interest in the idea, nobody seriously put their hand up to enter.

Seeing as I recently bought back my ex-Safari DR750, maybe Pre 90 is a better idea.......  ;)
Or maybe a class like they had for Classic Adelaide where the actual age of the bike wasn't so important, but it's 'historical interest' was the deciding factor.
I've also still got access to my 2000 Husky, but I'm not sure I'd consider that one 'Historic'......  :D

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:11:57 am by Tony T »

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:00 pm »
Absolutely!  I would love to give the Safari a go !  Maybe I could borrow Chivite's frontera?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »
I do like the idea of the ''significant model" class a I have an XTZ750 and a few friends have them stashed away awaiting a good time to get them out.
It would be very cool to roll out all the Tenere' models ( I know the "tradjics" do) in a Safari situation.
Might be good to have an outfit class as well, as there's only ever been 1 finish a Safari and not many at all do the Dakar.

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
I keep forgetting you've got one of those.
Hope it's straighter than Mick Goddard's old one.......

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:03 am »
Mines a wee bit straighter than that!!
What a fantastic mosel to tour on. Gotta love its ability to keep up with most tourers and even some sports bikes----then you turn off onto the gravel and dissappear ;D ;D ;D

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:32 am »
Pre 80s pretty tough.  How about an air cooled class, XRs DRs TTs KTM.  Cheep and easy to build.     
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:22 am »
I like the air cooled class idea.
I think if a promoter got hold of it properly they could do well inviting all comers(from OS) to this type of class/event

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »
I think a Pre 1990 class would probably drawn more entries. A Pre 90 model bike would open up the choice of bike a bit more and spares are still reasonbly easy to come across and affordable.
I would be interested in doing it on my 82 XR500R, maybe a team could be put together to help reduce costs.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:08:55 pm »
Thank you all for the input.  8)
As further discussion this 2008 article/topic was uncovered.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393758&highlight=Historic+Safari
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:09 pm »
A Pre 90 or Air Cooled class would be a great thing. It's long been a dream of mine to do the Safari, and regardless of classes I'd do it on a low-tech bike anyway. As Tony T points out a Pre 80 class would be kind of weird seeing as the event didn't commence until the mid 80s.

I'm not on Facebook, so I can't "like" anything, but keep us posted of any developments please VMX247.

Tex

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:01 am »
Best is in the West !!

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
I can't find anything where it says pre 80.

Tony T

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:00 am »
As much as it would be fun, there's no way I could commit to an entry. Just not enough time and money available and being old, fat and slow these days, I would be able to scrape together the sponsorship we used to.  :-\
Unfortunately, any way you look at it, it's a $10k exercise without the cost of the bike.   :(

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »
How many people on the forum own a pre 1990 bike suitable for such a race, be it standard or ex safari bike, that would be interested in doing the safari if the orgainisers added a pre 1990 moto class?