Author Topic: Bringing a bike into Oz and getting ADR'd. Anybody know if it can be done?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing a bike into Oz and getting ADR'd. Anybody know if it can be done?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
Quote from: odd1
No, I pretty sure you have to be out of the country yourself for 12 months as well.

Pretty much.
The intent of the rule is to allow you to import a vehicle that you purchased for use while OS.
The enforcement of the rule (distinct from the exact wording) is to ensure that you have actually used it regularly while in the other country.

I doubt that 12 months of ownership and four weeks of actual usage would be enough, but maybe 2-years of ownership and ten weeks of actual usage would be??

-----

My knowledge is old and my memory foggy (and should be taken with a grain of salt) but on the pre-89 stuff:
Pre-89 is easier because the cars/bikes are considered too old to be regularly used - they're supposed to be collector and/or special interest vehicles, basically.

Post-89, only cars (and I assume bikes) that are markedly different to those imported through mainstream channels can be imported as SIVS (or whatever they're calling it this week).
This is how R33/34 Skylines are allowed to be imported, but the Toyota Altezza was blocked because it was too similar to a Lexus IS200 (they're the same basic car, but the Altezza has the much better 4-cylinder motor, rather than the Lexus' I6).
A mate was looking at importing a manual Volvo V90 (a very rare car here, none were manual), but he was almost certain to be refused for being too similar to the Auto 960 wagons that came in through Volvo Australia.

Nissan took several months to import the S15 Silvia/200SX, so plenty of importers were importing them before Nissan Australia got around to it - once there were "official" imports, the grey imports were stopped.

All of this makes me think that the KTM990 is going to be knocked back as a SIVS vehicle.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
The other thing to consider is getting parts for an import.
I beleive KTM Austria has put a stop to US dealers selling genuine parts to O/S customers.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
The other thing to consider is getting parts for an import.
I beleive KTM Austria has put a stop to US dealers selling genuine parts to O/S customers.

In this case the US 2013 990 is the same as the 2012,11,10 model that is/was available in OZ so even buying the parts should you need them here is not an issue (this also means that it is a straight protection of the local Aussie distributor and his market, :-X  ). It just has a heap of fruit (accessories) on it from the Powerparts catalogue as a limited edition and all for over half the money that you would pay here.. 
http://www.ktm.com/int-mx/travel/990-adventure-baja.html

In regard to KTM parts you only need a mate with a US postal address or if you order enough they tend to forget that little rule from KTM head office in my experience.

Thanks for all the info guys..

YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
Nathan - it was a while ago - but yes - when I looked if it was registered in your name overseas for 12 months (??) then it could be claimed as your own so to speak.

Pretty sure they have closed that loophole as I was under same impression initially, You have to have proof that you have been domiciled in the US pretty much or tread a very fine line of having it all blow up in your face.. ;)
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Slawsey - maybe right now - but I also wasn't referring just to the US - Africa or Asia same same I think - but then as you say - maybe closed out now.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
Pre76 Z900 piece of piss in Victoria , get past 31 years old and especially any pre compliance plate models  Yippee and not a lot of dollars either. ;D
 Later bikes? Suffer.......
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Dont forget historic reg for older scoots, unless you want to ride the old dunger every day... :P

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
I looked into it 13 years ago when I was over there for 6 months.  They had a fire sale on the Victory sports cruiser. $9,000 and the shop was happy to crate it and ship it for me.  But I had to reside in the U.S. for I can't remember if it was 12 or 18 months.   I have a funny feelling at the time they did change it to 18 but my old brain is foggy on that. 

I thought I could leave it there for the time and come back, but no, you have to reside for the full term.