Author Topic: Bringing a bike into Oz and getting ADR'd. Anybody know if it can be done?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Hey Guys

Any body had any experience getting an adventure bike or a road bike ADR'd back in OZ after buying it from the US.

Sounds like a bloody nightmare under the current info that I have been able to get hold of.

Regards

SLAWESY
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Not if it's a model that's available here, there is a law stopping it to protect the importers of the brands sold here. Only exception is for Harleys, seems anyone can import and register them..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
If its a post-89 model, it's pretty well impossible, AFAIK.
I've heard of some car guys finding people who are immigrating to Australia, and using them to bring cars in as a personal import (I don't know if they fudge receipts or if the import people don't check the paperwork as carefully in that case).

Is it a bike that was ever available in Australia?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Johnny and Nathan,
Similar type of story that I have been hearing.  >:(

Its the 2013 KTM990 ( Baja special edition) US model that is not being replaced by the 1190 until 2014.

So it technically is not available in OZ when the 2013 Oz 1190 hits our shores here this year but the US are getting another year to clear up all the old parts and bits and pieces I guess.

Funny the Harleys are getting through, wonder what makes them so special?? Or more to the point what loophole they have exploited??

Anybody know if NZ is a bit more relaxed than here in OZ in regard to getting bikes into the country.

Cheers

YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
 IS a bloody nightmare. You have been hearing correct. Always check ..personally... with your local State motor registration authority preferably a non city office ;) , as sometimes you get someone that will listen to your requests/concerns and actually do lots to help.
Sorry but then again if it ain't a HD* your mostly screwed with post 89 bikes to be ridden on the road here.
Sorry again don't ever neglect the possibility of Customs duties and other heavy tax penalties for a machine you cannot prove to have owned overseas for a "substantial" period of time. Just to totally shit you off. Been involved in trying to assist/sort out such a case very recently. Resulted in the person returning at his expense.. the 2010 Goldwing to the USA to be sold for whatever he could get. (Lost $11000+ aud all up >:()

HD* Yes there appears be a lot of smell of greasy palms and stinking dead fish heads wrapped in their easy importing. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:07:58 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
If you go on to the customs web site it explains it on there, put simply there are registered importers for different types of vehicles they have complied a certain vehicle lets say  a Lotus esprit if they have bought a post 89 esprit into the country and made it comply they are deemed to be the importer for that model but it only applies to that model no other lotus model so if you want to bring a lotus esprit in you have to go to that importer and pay the compilance fee. In the case of HD's a importer has bought one in and made it comply. That's my understanding of how it works

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
It really sucks when new bikes are almost half price in the States to what we pay.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Thanks Guys

Just as well flights to the US are cheap. Just got a return flight to LA for $1200. (Just about costs that to go to Tassie) I'll keep the bike "at over the half the price over there" in the US and tour a couple of times a year till I get sick of it. (Cheaper than renting multiple times)

Funny we are now paying less for our KTM parts now due to being able to get them from overseas so cheap, (called "meeting the market") they still have their bikes protected so I guess we will have to cop the margins on the new bikes until the powers that be realise we have a global marketplace.

Be interested to know if you can bring the bike into NZ?? It would be great place to tour around as well.

Cheers

SLAWESY
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Considering the way the NZ used market is flooded with Jap imports, I'd assume that they have much more liberal laws WRT importing vehicles (the kiwis don't have a domestic vehicle industry to protect).

I wonder if owning the bike for (say) 12 months in the USA and 12 in NZ would meet the Aussie import criteria of overseas ownership?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Nathan - it was a while ago - but yes - when I looked if it was registered in your name overseas for 12 months (??) then it could be claimed as your own so to speak.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing a bike into Oz and getting ADR'd. Anybody know if it can be done?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
So guys, what about the import Z900's that appear on ebay all the time?  Can they be registered or are they also an issue.  I've been tempted a couple of times.

Is it the same case for say a (1983) Yamaha IT490 enduro?

Simo63

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
So guys, what about the import Z900's that appear on ebay all the time?  Can they be registered or are they also an issue.  I've been tempted a couple of times.

Is it the same case for say a (1983) Yamaha IT490 enduro?

Import approval laws differ for pre 1989 and post 1989 bikes/cars etc.  Pre 89 is easier to get import approval, post 89 is almost impossible apparently.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
How do Deus ex Machina and other shops get approval for their bikes? Many of the Deus bikes are based around Yamaha SR400 engines and I didn't think they were ever sold here, and therefore had never passed ADR. Same thing with S&S motored Harleys. I was speaking to a bloke recently who'd bought this very cool S&S powered chopper from the US brand new last year. I wish I'd have asked him how he got it registered.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

I wonder if owning the bike for (say) 12 months in the USA and 12 in NZ would meet the Aussie import criteria of overseas ownership?
[/quote]

No, I pretty sure you have to be out of the country yourself for 12 months as well.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
Lots of red tape   >:(

Have not read the various rules/regs but this seems to be the "core" part that covers importation

Reg' 12 says that if you can prove that a vehicle manufactured o'seas did meet Oz standards when manufactured then the Minister must allow import.

Reg' 13 is about importing vehicles that have been owned/used o'seas by the applicant

Reg' 15 is probably what Deus use to import limited numbers

Reg' 16 says the must allow you to import a vehicle manufactured before 31/12/89, do not know how that allows you to register but if I recall there is no probs.

and there is a lot more to be gleaned from the regs and some cross referencing, no time -- back to work....

Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations 1989

9              Approval to import vehicles without identification plates

For the purposes of section 20 (1) (b) of the Act, a person may import a nonstandard road vehicle or a road vehicle that does not have an identification plate if the Minister has approved an application by the person to import the vehicle.

10            Applications for approval to import vehicles without identification plates

A person may apply to the Minister for approval to import a nonstandard road vehicle or a road vehicle that does not have an identification plate.

11            Minister’s approval to import vehicles without identification plates

(1)   The Minister may approve an application to import a nonstandard road vehicle or a road vehicle that does not have an identification plate.

(2)   An approval may be given subject to conditions specified in the instrument of approval.

(3)   Without limiting the generality of subregulation (2), the Minister may require that a plate in such form and containing such information as the Minister determines be placed on the vehicle.

(4)   An approval must be given by signed instrument.

12            Approval to import complying vehicle without an identification plate

The Minister must approve an application to import a road vehicle that complies with the national standards but does not have an identification plate if:

(a)    the vehicle complied with the national standards when it was first manufactured and delivered for use in transport; and

(b)    the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type; and

(c)    the applicant has not imported a road vehicle within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia.

13            Approval to import vehicle without an identification plate if owned and used by applicant overseas

The Minister must approve an application to import a nonstandard road vehicle or a road vehicle that does not have an identification plate if:

(a)    the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least:

(i)    for a vehicle owned by the applicant before 9 May 2000 — 3 months; or

(ii)    in any other case — 12 months; and

(b)    at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:

(i)    an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or

(ii)    a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; and

(c)    the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type; and

(d)    the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Minister; and

(e)    the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia.

14            Approval to import vehicles of a type for which limited approval for identification plates is given

Without limiting the generality of subregulation 11 (1), the Minister may approve an application to import a new vehicle that does not have an identification plate if:

(a)    an approval to place identification plates on vehicles of that type has been given under section 10A of the Act; and

(b)    the importer of the vehicle is the person to whom the approval has been given.

15            Approval for registered automotive workshop to import certain used vehicles

(1)   The Minister may approve an application to import a road vehicle other than a new vehicle if:

(a)    the applicant is a registered automotive workshop; and

(b)    the vehicle was first manufactured after 31 December 1988; and

(c)    the make and model of the vehicle is included in the schedule of approved vehicles for the applicant; and

(d)    the application to import is accompanied by an application for approval to place a used import plate on the vehicle; and

(e)    for a vehicle other than a two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle — approval has not been granted to the applicant to import more than a total of 130 vehicles in the vehicle category to which the vehicle belongs in the period of 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application; and

(f)    for a restricted volume two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle — approval has not been granted to the applicant to import more than a total of 130 vehicles in the vehicle category to which the vehicle belongs in the period of 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application.

(2)   This regulation does not apply to an unrestricted volume two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle.

16            Approval for registered automotive workshop to import certain used two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles

The Minister may approve an application to import a road vehicle other than a new vehicle if:

(a)    the applicant is a registered automotive workshop; and

(b)    the vehicle is an unrestricted volume two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle of a make and model included in the applicant’s schedule of approved vehicles; and

(c)    the vehicle was first manufactured after 31 December 1988.

17            Approval to import vehicles of a certain age without identification plates

The Minister must approve an application to import a nonstandard road vehicle, or a vehicle that does not have an identification plate, if the vehicle was manufactured before 1 January 1989.