Author Topic: RT1 pulled 8mm head studs.  (Read 1676 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
RT1 pulled 8mm head studs.
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:26 am »
Decided to put the piston port cylinder back on one of my fleet, had an RT3 top end on but needed the reed block out of it for something else [tough times]. Anyway, the 4--8mm studs were pulled so made up some 9mm [9x1.25 thread], stepped back to 8mm out through the head. Used some waisted bolts out of my honda vigor [blown] car motor. 8mm waised bit was 7.8 but made a good thread & dyed down the 10mm [1.25] end to 9mm. done it before heaps normally using stepped head studs from a TS185 which i had lying around & dye down ok on the 10mm end. The Car bolts were grade 10 & so hard it made my good dye set complain. Lots of oil but thought the neighbours were going to come looking for their cat as sounded like i was standing on its tail. Being 'not' very organised i had the bench grinder on the floor!! giving the threads a good wire brushing after threading--luckily i'd hit the off switch then stood up & the spinning brush pulled me pants down [true], stopped in a rush, jeez. Reminded me of cutting firewood last year behind the Fergy with the 'big' circular saw & took the end out of my glove, too close for comfort that one--getting too complacent [read senile] Cheers.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RT1 pulled 8mm head studs.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:05 am »
how many near misses b4 the big one OTH?, Sounds like lawn bowls is looking good!

A mate of mine's father was into vintage road racing but was getting a tad old timery (know how he feels!) so the sons had to watch him like a hawk at the races as he had a bad habit of loosening nuts on the bikes between races to tweak something then just wander off to talk to ol mates and leave the axle nuts etc all loose and then front up to the start  :o they were nervous wrecks after each meeting.
Seriously, start doing some risk assessments about the workshop before we read about the big one (if they will let you use a laptop in hospital ;D)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
was just laughing at your story till i thought gosh, sounds like me, not funny any more ha. Reminded me of coming home in 1964-ish from about 4 hours away, scramble in Hamilton [nz], got about an hour from home & the kingpin nut came off the drivers side healing around a sharp corner in middle of night["55 Vauxhall with a B31 & B33 on behind ] & the wheel assembly went horizontal. Yes i'd just done the bushes but couldn't quite get the locknut around to the split pin hole so thought it'd be ok locked up tight to the other nut till a later tighten when it settles. How wrong was i. Paranoid about splitpins since then.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:49:41 am »
Yes there is that shocking " couldnt be??" moment just b4 it all goes pear shaped...

i sold my PE to a young kid years ago and he "lost " the security splitty holding the airflilter nut so went without with the inevitable disaster... it made some funny noises apparently :o