Author Topic: What did your Dad ride  (Read 16918 times)

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
What did your Dad ride
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:56:57 am »

Me on Dads 1971 two valve Jawa and him in the background on his 1969 two valve Jawa at the last Bendigo Historical meeting. Me and Glen Bowles went out together in practice and rode the fence for three laps rubbing shoulders. Mighty good fun. The only other time Dad & rode on the same day was when I was a junior rider and we were allowed to ride at Romsey one Harley Club meeting.

October 1946 my Grandfather, Jack O`Halloran rode at the Wangaratta Speedway meeting held at the Wangaratta Showgrounds.
This was 17 years before I was born and My Grandfather travelled from Melbourne. My Mum and Dad moved to Wangaratta in 1958 to open a motorcycle shop 12 years later and I still live here.
Is this Karma or what.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:04:01 pm by RW490 »
Jack of all Master of none

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: What did your Dad ride
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:26 am »
Top pix of ya Dad Rick, great stuff !

I hope you don't mind me posting this pic here,but it's sorta , kinda along the same lines, plus it's me favourite shot

Surfair Speedway, late nineties and me young bloke , Brian, going by me on the front straight on his chookie TT, when asked how did he beat The Fossil, the cheeky bugger said " I just follow him around untill he gets tired, then zap him" !!!
Foss

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:10:40 am »
Harley Knucklehead 

My dad  called it a "club" but it may have been a gang.  ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:53 am »
My old man never raced, he was a top local aussie rules player in his day, but he did ride bikes for a while like most of that generation.

This is him in the early 50's on his 1949 Matchless G80.

This is my '49 G80.

It was built from many tea chests of bit back in the mid 1980's. Although he hadn't ride a bike for years, the old man did take it for a short ride when I got it up and running. Sadly it has spent way to many years sitting unused in the shed. I keep promising to re-commission it and put it on historic rego and ride it, but there just doesn't seem to be enough day in any given year to do everything I want to.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »
 Couple of pics of my Dad

Regards ,
            Steve

circa 1960

around 1990

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »

Brian Mitcheson with his original Alron
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline RW490

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »
Hey guys, keep up the good work. Don`t forget, these are the people that got us started. Even if your Dad didn`t race put up his photo`s on or near his bike because thats all that matters.

Hey Foss,Thanks for the input, hope to have a picture up of my Grandfather on speedway soon from Traceys Speedway. Jack O`halloran.

Rick
Jack of all Master of none

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:09:03 pm »
Great old pics  MY DAD HATED BIKES  So I never rode with him >:(
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »
My dad was a cop and diskiled motorcycles because of the impact of attending fatal bike prangs had on him as a young rookie. I eventually won him over to my dirt bikes as long as I promised not to ride on the road. I did of course but he didn't know it, right up to the day he sprung me on my Lobito riding through Penrith while he was out, miles from his home station arresting some villain. A week or so later I was coming home on that awful little bike, saw dad watering the front lawn and having a beer with Frank from next door but one (coincidentally, also a cop, a homicide detective). I popped a wheelie going up the driveway to show him how much in control of my vehicle I was and promptly ran him and Frank over when the evil power of the little Bully got away from me. I never quite lived that one down :-[ :-[
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »
Thanks to my brother Jim, "jimg1au ", I have a copy of this photo of our Dad, who celebrated his 90th birthday last Sunday.

Dad brought me and later my sister up in the Midlands of England , riding pillion on a Red Hunter Ariel and later on a Square Four and sidecar, out of neccessity in postwar Pommyland.

Here's the photo of our Dad, the 1977 Veteran Champion of St.George club riding my Elstar JAP

In Oz, Dad owned and rode a number of bikes, riding them to work at Lucas Heights, an MZ and a 450 Ducati come to mind.
As I've said, I'm a Pom but Jim's an Aussie, but I won't hold that against him, I'm joking Jim !!!
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »
My father rode just about anything with a motor and 2 wheels.
This a photo of probably the last bike he rode, an ex police Bonnie he restored for a guy and passed away not long after.
I've got a heap more but have to scan them, daughter required.

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 05:34:02 pm »
Without my old man, I probably wouldn't be into bikes at all. Seeing his old racing pics from the 70's with my mum pregnant in the pits, puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. I think men were men in those days, not like today with all this new age political correctness and happy holidays BS !!!
What's even cooler is the old bastard still kicks my ass on the track today. I hope I'm still having fun at his age!!

Go you old guys!!!!!!!.......the true pioneers!

Pics to come!

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:03 pm »
My dad was mates with Ronnie Kessing....he won Bathurst in 1946.....here's a shot from around 1942, with my dad Tom in the middle and Ronnie's elder brother Jack on dad's right.....note the headlight covers, compulsory during the war......great stuff !! Sadly, they're all gone now.
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »
Great photo of your dad and his mates Alvin. Now I know where you get your flambuoyant
dress sense from ;) Your dad is one slick lookin' dude. Love his jacket. Do you know
where the pic was taken,what bridge?
   regards  Mark

Curly3

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
Good question Mark, I was thinking the same thing.
Kessing as in John & Kevin I gather?