Author Topic: For the Sidecar Boys  (Read 11367 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
For the Sidecar Boys
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:50 pm »
Hi,

Just thought that I would post a pick from my bad old days of sidecar riding.

The picture is from a Silver City MCC gymkana in about 1981/82.  The bike is a TT500 with home made sidecar, and as can be seen, safety was paramount.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: For the Sidecar Boys
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »
I love the old photos. Are you steerer or the shotgun?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:02:45 pm »
Hi ya Col.
Gotta be at least 1982 with the '82 YZ's in the background. But then Yamaha's did come out early back then............
Regardless, thanks for that.
If you've got any more pics from that era, I'm always interested.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:03:49 pm »
i was thinking 82' as well Tony then i though maybe it was 81' and they were YZ125's ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:50:54 pm »
Definitely 82 Hoony. The '81 125 looked had a front radiator 'scoop' that looked like this...................

Sorry to take this off topic, Col. But I just noticed that 125 with gold rims......................... I'll move this to the Yamaha forum.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:52:31 pm by Tony T »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »
Safety? looks Plain Jane normal to me.... Ever have a go on a speedway sidecar, Much safer smoother tracks, lot less corners thats handy as they only turn one way as long as you can power slide, tiny useless front suspension, bloody none at rear, 1000cc+  supercharged engines that on standing start take off can tear your wrists and shoulders out of their sockets, remembering the first corner is 4 seconds away so get your whole body way over the side or you will go full bore into solid hurtful stuff, engines run on methanol and Castor oil, oil is for the neat smell and also if and when they explode the flames produce smoke so you know were to spray to fire bottles as methanol does not show a flame, and of course as stipulated in the rules" no brakes can be fitted ".... ;) Tim ;
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:32:00 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:13 pm »
Safety? looks Plain Jane normal to me....

:D :D :D :D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:02 pm »
You can date it by the safety shorts there wearing. and the DK moustache
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

STW996

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:01:39 am »
I wonder if the swinger is still able to hang off like this 26 years down the track!!! top photo ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:49:25 am »
Glad everyone likes the pic. Probable was 82, if that what the background bike show, but it was a long time ago and the memory is fading.

Wombat, I am the "sensible" one, i.e. the one with the handle bars and throttle in hands and wearing the shorts!

Tim, I have ridden speedway sidecars, sort of!  Back through that period I used to mechanic for a couple of sidecar crews before becoming an official (race starter). I rode a variety of outfits during tuning sessions and mechanics races, Kawasaki 500 triple, 650 Yamaha twin and Suzuki 750 triple I also had a coulpe of runs on some good old JAWA 2 valve solos.  Always as the ride, and the solid (railway sleeper) wall allways scared me., but it was good fun.

Freakshow, Yes good old fashion "Stubbie's" safety shorts, imagine MA letting me ride like that now?

STW996, No, Wilso gave up swinging a few years back now. I tried to get him out of retirement to swing for me on one of my old Bultaco observer trials sidecars last year for the Aust Masters Games, but he has had a knee replacement says the titanium knee won't let him.  He is still into sidecars anc is the owner/manufacture of PREMIER Sidecars.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:32 pm »
hi SLOB
does that old BUSHPIG sidecar still exsist?

TT5 Matt

xstracker

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 04:28:43 pm »
Is that really Rob wILSON from bushpig sidecars in Broken Hill , I was given a couple of bushpig T shirts by rob when i rode an SWM chair at BH 2 day many years ago. I still have plenty of videos of Aust Trials Champs QLD Canungra . Cheers herb conlon

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:37:01 pm »
I have a sad Wasp sidecar only frame hanging on the wall. It has " Bushpig" on the  white fibreglass wheel guard . Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

YSS

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:28 pm »
  Tim ,I have an fuel injected Honda 110 , perhaps we could fit that Wasp to that and race it together . I will be the swinger. I have shorts and will travel  ;D

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:58 pm »
Neat!!! :D :D :D :D :D          Fuel injected 110? Shorts...good grief........    The reference to "bushpig" was because it was on the frame when I got it, I do not know anything of Bushpig sidecars of Broken Hill.
                                                   Voltaire.